Explain dungeon lockouts?

It’s been a while since I have needed to grind dungeons for gear. With season 4 coming in the near or far future I was wondering how the lockouts work for each tier.

I am planning to play four characters next season and want to hit the ground running week 1. How many runs of heroic, M0, and M+ can I do before I stop getting loot? Is it once per dungeon per week or 10 total dungeons for the week? If I complete a dungeon at a particular difficulty level am I then locked out from getting loot from that same dungeon at a lower level? Are these lockouts character based or account-wide? What is the most efficient strategy for maximizing drops in a given week?

Any answers or advice are appreciated.

No. Never. You are also not locked out from gettng loot at any different level.

There is a general account-wide lockout after 10 instances (any instances) per hour. This is never relevant at-level, since you won’t complete a dungeon 10 times at an average of 6 minutes each. I just mention it for completeness. It is intended to restrict people farming old dungeons for transmog and such.

So let’s take the difficulties.

1. Normal: Nothing ever locks you out of getting loot on Normal at any time, no matter how you enter.

2. Heroic: Nothing ever locks you out of getting loot on Heroic at any time, when you enter through the Random Dungeon Finder (aka LFD)
    Heroic: You may enter a specific Heroic dungeon manually only once per day per character.

3. Mythic (M0): You may get loot from each dungeon on M0 only once per week per character.

4. Mythic-Plus (M+): You may get loot from every run of an M+ dungeon. Do remember someone in theparty has to have the key for that dungeon and level, but once you have that, it’s Loot City.

The most efficient strategy is LFD for Normal and Heroic, ignore M0. and keep running M+ until your fingers bleed.

At some point, you will probably want to target some specific pieces in M+. When you get to that point, just look for groups offering that dungeon key in Group Finder.

Um. Remember that since BfA, M+ doesn’t open on week 1. They allow a couple of weeks for people to level and get starter gear in peace before the season opens. And N and H are easily farmed out. So you have two or three weeks before M+ kicks in, which takes a lot of the pressure off the start of the expansion.

1 Like

With the dungeon changes for Season 4, Mythic 0 may be more useful, especially early on. (Although still very limited due to the weekly lockout.) Of course, we won’t know how it works out in practice until we get there.

1 Like