Exception: ACCESS_ VIOLATION

Hey all. For the past couple of days I have been consistently getting this game crash:

Program: D:\World of Warcraft/retail\Wow.exe
Exception: ACCESS_VIOLATION - The Instruction at '0x00007ff69d48d0df" referenced memory at '0xfffffffffffffffff".
The memory could not be “read”.
ProcessID: 49968
ThreadID: 3324

I have tried just about everything:

1. Verifying and Repairing.
  2. Uninstalling and Installing (Game was also a fresh install previously)
  3. Turning XMP off and on (Game crashes either way)
  4. All drivers are updated.
  5. SFW /scannow in CMD.
  6. Installing the game on a different SSD.
  7. Uninstalling and re-installing all addons and doing a complete UI reset.

I’m at a loss. In game support ticket was useless. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.

Attached is my DXdiag. I would attach a screenshot of the crash error but they have made that impossible.

Report ID: 6E95D55B-1311-4489-BB22-EFAE27F68022

People have suggested it’s an error caused by issues with the 13900 CPU. I have applied these changes:

1. Save your current settings into a profile so you can return to them later if you want.
  2. Reset your BIOS to default settings. Ai Tweaker tab:
  3. Disable MultiCore Enhancement.
  4. Enable XMP(if your RAM supports it).
  5. Set SVID behavior to Typical Scenario.
  6. Set short duration turbo power = 253
  7. Set long duration turbo power = 253
  8. Set max core/cache current = 307Amps

It has fixed issues for others but not for me. I experienced a game crash about an hour after playing. I think it’s also worth mentioning that I am not having issues with any other games… even before applying these settings in my BIOS. It’s an issue on Blizzards end. Please help.

Elocin if you’re seeing this… Blizzards ridiculous policy of not allowing me to reply on my previous post forced me to follow up here.

The only thing i have seen that actually fixes the issue is underclocking the CPU. Intel was over optimistic on how fast there 13 and 14 th generation CPUs could run stable

These specific things have stabilized my CPU… after a ton of tweaking I think I finally got it figured out in case you need to advise folks in the future.

Specifically for the 13900K CPU:

1. Change SVID behavior: Intel Fail Safe

(People are saying this is potentially not good for your CPU overtime as it will increase the core voltage past the 1.72 threshold it’s supposed to be at, I have been paying attention to my core voltage even under load and it’s never exceeded 1.55 and typically idles at around 1.4 even under load)

1. Performance Core Tuning: 55x (1-7)
  2. Multicore Enhancement: Disabled - Enable All Limitations

(Disabling this is extremely important, what I have learned is that motherboards, especially ASUS motherboards overclock the hell out of your CPUs to the point of degradation under default settings)

1. Turbo Boost Short Power Max: 253
  2. Turbo Boost Long Power Max: 253
  3. Processor Core IccMax: 307A

It’s not on Intel. It’s MOBO manufacturers overlocking CPUs utilizing out of the box default settings, instead of using the recommended settings set by Intel guidelines. They do this to upsell their products. Scummy business.

1 Like

Actually it is Intel the specs that Intel gave the motherboard manufacturers were over-optimistic. Generally when they give the motherboard manufacturer specs for their processors they give them a spec that everyone of the CPUs can do . In this case they gave the manufacturers a spec that only a handful of the CPUs could do. Even with current manufacturing techniques not every CPU are the same.

This started happening to me as well, right after patch day on Tuesday. 4/23/24

I just rebuilt my PC after having to RMA an Intel 13900k. Nothing crashes but WoW.

After a few days without the error… I thought I could rest easy that it went away. I have made every adjustment in the book to underclock my CPU and… the error happened again today. I’m starting to think that it’s not a problem with the CPU… but it’s a problem on Blizzards end. Even before making the adjustments to my CPU WoW was the only game that I was having issues with and it still is.

Any other suggestions? Also haven’t heard a peep from Blizzard support… Do they even check these forums?

I would suggest that you can try to disable the Intel Speed step and Intel speed shift technology in the BIOS once.

Setting my performance P-Cores from x55 to x54 (All cores 1-7) seems to have stabilized it more… WoW can only seem to run on SVID Behavior: Intel Fail Safe. Which sucks. When I had my SVID Behavior set to: Auto and my P-Cores set to x55. I ran a OCCT CPU stability test for an hour and everything was stable… no errors. I only seem to be having this issue with WoW. Hell I can run Star Citizen for a smoother experience and I don’t want to degrade my CPU faster for one game.

I am also having this issue with intel, im getting frustrated, it is only with wow.

And still no response from Blizzard. Their support system needs some serious work.

Howdy Mythocast

We are aware these are happening but it’s looking like trouble with the CPU and motherboards. But we are still investigating and I have a few steps that have worked for others.

Here are some of the work arounds that other players have shared which may help:

• Update the motherboard’s BIOS to the latest version
  • Disable or lower any manual overclocking on the CPU (For example some users reported lowering the CPU from 5.8Ghz to 5.7Ghz resolved their crashes)
  • Using Intel Extreme Tuning Utility software to change Performance Core Ratio to a lower value than default

Test disabling these settings in BIOS:

• Intel Turbo Boost Technology
  • Intel Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0
  • Enhance Multi Core Performance

This is happening in retail wow:

In the past 2 days me and one guildy and one buddy of mine have been getting this problem… all with different types of rigs (medium to high performing computers and hardware components)… this does not seem to be a problem on our end but on Blizz end… it all started after patch day… I alone have had it happen 3x in the past two days. I`ve updated and done everything on my end and still today it crashed with the same error. Last night I thought I was alone until I started asking around and it seems to be a much bigger problem. Please fix… because this random crashing during raid, mythic keys, etc is really annoying.

Howdy Mythocast!

We have done some digging through the crash report that your system sent in and found that the addon hekili is having some major issues. Let’s do some testing to see if we can get this worked out if the other steps I posted earlier didn’t help.

First update the addon, I show the last update was April 26th. If you have already updated sense then skip this step.

Try uninstalling the addon fully, if that stops the issue please reach out to the maker of the addon to let them know there is an issue.

If uninstalling doesn’t help please remove all addons with a UI reset because we are showing addons other addons struggling but this was the main one.

· Delete Curseforge or WoW Matrix if you have this program installed.
· Close down WoW if it is still open.
· Go to your World of Warcraft folder then -Retail_ (Select Classic if happening in classic)
(Shortcut: Right click the WoW icon you use to play and select Open File Location)
· Delete the following two folders:
WTF, Cache
· Rename Interface to Interface.old (this will prevent your addons from being deleted, but will also remove them from the game for testing)

If you get an error saying you can’t delete or modify any of these three folders, please restart your computer to finish the uninstallation of Curseforge/WOW Matrix.

I made the following adjustments to my CPU to stabilize the game about a week ago:

SVID Behavior: Intel Fail Safe
Processor Core IccMax: 307A
Turbo Short Power Max: 253W
Turbo Long Power Max: 253W
Performance Core Tuning: 54x (All 7 Cores)
Enhance Multi Core Performance: Disabled

Basically I’m having to overvolt and underclock my CPU to play WoW. I do not have this issue with any other games.

Yes addons require more CPU load… However there is a direct correlation between a recent WoW update and game crashes as I was able to play the game just fine a couple months ago with 0 crashes utilizing the same addons.

Hey hey Mythocast

Totally understand where you are coming from but your crash report specifically has addons crashing. Please follow the steps provided in the previous post as laid out and see if those help.

Thanks!

3 Likes