Examples of Layering exploits and problems

OP…you couldn’t add to the already existing threads on this ?
Keeping it all focused in one mega thread might get more attention from the devs. Just my opinion here.

1 Like

If Blizzard is intent on keeping it I wish they would communicate a specific date for its removal. They don’t even seem sure about that phase 1 removal and that seems like it will be too far away itself. With the huge amount of players so much of the game will be exploited like this. It’s like they are intentionally launching with a duplication glitch, I can’t believe they are keeping it.

Thats unfortunate…I didn’t realize it was like that in BFA with my very little bfa experience. Well sounds like if its in BFA we’re probably screwed for classic. However, in classic its far more game breaking than it is in BFA so maybe there is still hope.

1 Like

The beta isnt a good example. The server populations are very low and there is artificial layering in place to test the system.

2 Likes

Layering is an answer to a real problem. We are 2 months away from launch. I think a Loot/node/rare lockout is the easiest solution to the layering exploit.

I play on lights hope, one time with 10k+ players ONLINE. Idk if Lights Hope has layering or sharding (let me know if otherwise) but dont you think if a few neckbeards can make it stable with so many people online at once on one server, a tiny Indie company like Blizz can make it work?

LH does not have layering. I played with 14K online.
No issues.

Layering is a variation on sharding and sharding is a monster that Blizzard created way after vanilla.

Blizzard uses cloud technology and I guess $$$ has a lot to do with it.

9 Likes

Ah, so this is where it all stems from. The cloud. So it may be technically impossible for them to fix it unless they stop using the cloud tech. Which They won’t do because $$$

8 Likes

Yup Ogderawm…it’s all virtual.

It’s like having a bunch of vm’s on your pc.
Only Blizzard had made modifications so that you can jump from vm to vm.

Only that was never the intent of a vm.

It’s going to be even worse in the actual game. Any time some wpvp is going on or high pop questing areas like the barrens you are going to be tossed around layers like a hot potato.

It’s a problem for a day or two and even then it’s part of the experience. TBC and WOTLK launches were crowded areas with no sharding and high player numbers (probably way higher than classic will be) and they paced out after a day or two. Keeping layering in even until phase 1 will have long lasting consequences that ripple throughout the life of the game. Fixes like a loot lockout would make the layering useless as you would be constantly getting locked out or have to wait after joining friends. The only solution would be to limit it to 1-20 zones so higher resources and areas can’t be exploited or to remove it completely.

3 Likes

Fury…you are right. Blizzard even said that layering is “dynamic” which means that big wpvp battle zone could go from 1 layer to 5 layers based on how many players show up.

and that big battle turns into a “duel” instead :frowning:

1 Like

Dynamic respawn for starter zones only. Ques. Get over it. Don’t sacrifice gameplay. The end.

7 Likes

Yep, sounds like a nightmare for those trying wpvp.
https://www.reddit.com/r/classicwow/comments/c03ol5/layering_from_todays_update_affecting_wpvp/

This doesn’t sound fun at all.

5 Likes

How are they going to test that in the next two months?

Even if they could, how does that play out? I login onto an alt and then back onto my main, and I can’t gather nodes or kill certain mobs?

1 Like

Whether or not layering is needed or not, there’s a crazy amount of “facts” being made up in this thread about things Blizz said, Blizz will do, and how it all works.

Blizz is spending all this money on developing new tech when they should just buy some physical servers that can handle the pops

3 Likes

This is an example. It isn’t about hardware limits. Its about long term server populations and how playable things are for a while.

I don’t know about you, but I’m going to fully use this to my advantage. With so little time left to test I’m fairly certain this will go into the game live.

Well it looks like it isn’t working. Or maybe it is working. Not sure which is worse.

1 Like

I think it is high time we realized that sacrificing gameplay for the sake of avoiding server merges down the road is not worth it.

Forced server merges must happen in order to avoid this abomination.

2 Likes