Every Time I Quit WOW, it says there's an update

Hello,

Every time I quit WoW, it says there’s an update. After WoW crashed about 2 weeks ago and the auto-report crash did it’s thing, it says that WoW has an update. This update takes 40 - 60 seconds to do its thing. After it does its “update” I launch the game and immediately, it says there’s another update for WoW.

I couldn’t find anything about this online that was relatively recent. So, posting on the Technical Support forum. I won’t be home now til 6:15 PM CST (-6) but thought I’d get some troubleshooting ideas, since it’s the morning and try them when I get home.

Howdy!

It’s possible the crash may of caused corruption. I would recommend to try the following:

1. Log into the Blizzard app → Select the World of Warcraft tab → Select the Options drop down → Show in Explorer → Open World of Warcraft folder.
  • Delete the WTF, Interface and Cache folders.
  1. Run a Scan and Repair on the game following the steps Here.

2. Make sure Secondary Logon is set to Automatic.

3. Double check if you have any anti-virus or firewall software on the system it’s fully setup to exclude the Blizzard app and World of Warcraft client from all scans.

Retest!

Good evening,

I tried what you said and it still says to update after I launched the game. Should I try a fresh install or just roll with it til 8.1 in December?

Hey, Raicolette! Is the Blizzard Application or Launcher on a different drive than the main OS drive (by default C:) This can cause some issues with the application updating. If so, please uninstall and reinstall on the C:\ drive.

Once done, World of WarCraft can be located or scanned again. Just click on Locate A Game next to the Install button, or go to Settings > Game Install/Update, and click on Scan for Games.

If it persists, ensure Administrator mode is enabled. Otherwise, try testing the Launcher on the a new admin account. This should reset everything, if there is any corruption with the current Windows profile.

Good evening,

Whoa, support is fast on the weekends. I’ll do better to keep a look out when I post something.

WoW is currently installed on C:, where my OS is.

I just did this here:

and it appears it’s not asking to update now! I’ve re-launched WoW 3 times and haven’t seen it ask for an update. I thought I had Administrator mode enabled but I guess not.

Thank you Zuvykree and Caterpepi! Appreciate the help in fixing this! ^-^

3 Likes