EverQuest is moving to 64 bit

Head of Studio, Jenn Chan, of Darkpaw Games (owned by Enad Global 7, the same company who owns LoTRO, DCUO, Dungeons & Dragons Online, etc) has said that, “I’m very excited to finally and officially announce 64-bit clients and servers are coming for EverQuest!”

On one hand this news seems a bit behind-the-times (almost 10 years behind WoW’s 64-bit release), but on the other hand I am glad effort is being poured into the game.

Eventually WoW will be an old fogey of a game with scant subs…but I never want it to die.

ttps://www.everquest.com/news/producers-letter-fall-2021?fbclid=IwAR3jJ7Tkm4unNICzPjALW-FY-ti3M9RobjmU8cfzoj90Mg2EnjxonJ93ht0

7 Likes

:partying_face:
Good, more 32 bit games should. :smiley:

3 Likes

What other games do you have in mind?

I haven’t played that game in like 21 years. Loved it.

2 Likes

Well let’s see.

• The Sims 3 for starters, poor ole game that EA left in the dust for The Sims 4… Yet the Mac version gets a 64bit version… :unamused:

• Old Need for Speed games like Underground 1 to Prostreet.

• GTA 4 and Bully

• Roller Coaster Tycoon 1, 2 and 3.

…Essentially any old 32 bit game really. :neutral_face:

2 Likes

People are gonna flip once 32 bit libraries and executables are no longer in windows. 11 made the right step to drop 32bit hardware

Speaking of that. The blizzard launcher is still 32 bit I think.

1 Like

I would play EQ if they updated like… anything. The map looks like that game asteroid from the 80s

2 Likes

Honestly tried EQ again after 20 years, found it unplayable. I wanted to go back and visit some of the areas i once lived in. :\

1 Like

Wait, I didn’t know EQ 1 was still a thing. I loved the game but I quit to come to WoW at launch.

2 Likes

Looking forward to playing WoW in 2080 when there’s only one server left and we’re all boomers.

2 Likes

Wow shadowlands classic season of mastery round 8. Copium the game will be good by then.

1 Like

Oh good, more reasons to not install. :face_vomiting:

1 Like

They are about to start beta for their 28th expansion.

2 Likes

It’s going to happen at some point. Once the mainstream browsers are all 64 bit you’ll find 32 bit support plummet to hobbyist levels.

1 Like

Actually, i did search up to see if Win 11 can run 32bit apps, and yes, it still does, just exactly like how a win 10 64bit OS can and it’s backwards compatible to 32bit apps and software. It’s just dropping the 32bit OS which… to be frank, i don’t know why in 2016, MS offered Win 10 32bit either…

Glad that Win 11 can still do that so i can play Mall Tycoon and many other of my old games on there. Still have no desire for it… :smiley:

How is it going to be hobbyist? I mean we still kind of need it. In the same way we still kind of need 16 bit and so on. I don’t know much about computers, so feel free to correct me, but those stuff exists to have some sort of low level sort of thing for software, right?..

Plus, a good chunk of the gaming, 1/3 to be generous, still has games that are 32bit. Emulation has 32bit games in 32 bit apps because most of the emulation of the consoles are 32bit and under. (Or sixth and maybe seventh gen and below)

1 Like

WoW is 64-bit now!?!?

WoW!

Maintaining a web browser even with an existing source is alot more work than it seems. Look at TenFourFox. Guy had to step down for it cause of drop in interest and increasing work to retroport stuff from mozilla to work on ppc.

It’s not something like an emulator or dosbox or w/e which can work airgapped. You need to have constant work on it. And when the major contributors drop it, loads of people just sort of give up support. Same thing happened with 32 bit ios jailbreaks once 64 bit was out for 3-4 years. Focus was on developing that vs making something to work for iphone 5 and older. Hell even the most recent jailbreaks for ios 10 for older 32 bit devices don’t have full untethers. Still need to work around the 7 day certificate last I checked. Meanwhile idevices up to when the iphone x came out have a full bootrom exploit allowing perma-jailbreaks.

In short once the newer hardware comes on the scene, and it becomes affordable. Maintenance for the old stuff especially for things that are OS/firmware/internet become hard to support.

Google will likely be the last one to drop 32 bit for chromium/chrome cause they have an earthly amount of people who are content with android being what it is. But feel like they can’t just drop them for X reasons.

I have no real desire for it. Frankly, I find Windows to be perfectly fine currently. The biggest issue I have is in administration/settings and how they moved some things to the metro UI and never fully migrated away from their older style so it’s like…half and half. And sometimes functionality is mirrored too.

Like…just fix that up. And I’m good.

Though at some point I should probably upgrade just for security reasons. And maybe I should just do it now since I know someday I will yanno? I feel like it may be free today for me, but it may cost me someday if I wait.

:expressionless:

Meh.

2 Likes

Wait for 11. Don’t beta test things (this applies to wow too). Let others take the hit so you can enjoy it hassle free.

I tried EQ again about 5 or 6 years ago. I logged on to my original character created March 22, 1999.
It took me 15 minutes and several web searches to figure out how to find the stats on my gear.
Pass.

1 Like