Eternal Lands - Old school MMORPG! (2004)

Eternal Lands has been around since 2004. It is an alternative to Old School Runescape. Having played both OSRS and Eternal Lands, I think they both have a unique vibe to them. They both share the same premise of “skilling” and having complete freedom of what you want to work on.

I just recently started played Eternal Lands and I’m enjoying it which is why I’m posting about it on the forums. Hope you all check it out, the waters warm!

http:// www.eternal-lands. com/

1 Like

This is how you plug a different mmo. You just state why you like it. No need to make disparaging remarks about other games.

Well done.

What do you mean?

I’m saying that you did things the right way.

1 Like

Holy carp, there’s a name I haven’t heard in forever. Was my first MMO, had some fun, made steel shields for a “living,” hunted Bob the Gob…

…then dropped it like a hot potato when the lead dev gleefully banned a third of the player base. Maybe he’s chilled out since.

My first MMO was Asheron’s Call.

loved that game so much. was sad to see it shut down.

Asherons Call needs to be remastered and relaunched, that would be insane.

As for Eternal Lands, I’m really liking it. I like how it isn’t easy and to really get higher you need to dedicate a long time to the game.

Thanks for sharing that information. 1/3 of the population got banned? Thats ballsy of the dev because the most players ever online was 900 or something. What was the reason?

They were using some utility bot or other that hadn’t been vetted. Couldn’t tell you what, as I didn’t have the savvy to use bots myself, but from what I remember it was more a quality-of-life bot than a code-to-win thing. But, again, it wasn’t vetted, and it was apparently easy for the devs to track.

There was no “please stop using this bot” announcement. Instead, Ent announced he had identified all the offenders, said they would be banned without exception, and gave them an amount of time to get their affairs in order (something like a week or three). Many offenders stopped using the bot immediately, and many of their in-game friends spoke up for them, but, nope, he rebuffed any and all pleas, often with an evil smiley thrown in for good measure.

After it happened, I plugged along for about a week, asked myself why I was bothering, and left.

As I said, the game itself was fine, but that ban, and the way it was handled, just left a seriously sour taste. But this was about 14-15 years ago. Things change, people change, etc., etc.

Yikes. Well, there is a lot of strange things about the game. For example, the cash shop isn’t like you buy something and you get it. You have to paypal the admin and wait for him to hand deliver it. Its super ghetto.

Also, I have no idea why the game isn’t on steam. Its like free advertisement.

I see myself playing it here and there. I like sandbox games and there aren’t many out there that keep my attention.

I will be posting about a new game either today or tomorrow which is launching May 15th on steam. Its a pixel art OSRS style game, free called Damascus.

The one thing that I really did like about it was that it was (and maybe still is) a true “garage game” - basically a handful of coders who got together to make a game on their own time for their own fun (and as a portfolio piece).

Hence some of the weirdness. You’re not dealing with a company; instead, you’re dealing with a group of people. That’s probably why it’s not on Steam - they might have to sacrifice a degree of control or self-determination beyond their comfort zone.

Gotta say I respect that, and I’m glad (and more than a little amazed) that it’s lasted so long.