"Esports have ruined the game."

I’m not being facetious, I really want to know: why do people keep saying this?

I see many people complaining that “E-Sports Have Ruined WoW” (or something to that effect), but I have yet to see anyone convincingly make the case as to HOW this is the case.

Arena existed long before the AWC; M+ existed before the MDI. The entire reason the E-Sports events exist for those two game modes is because M+ and Arena were popular with players, not the other way around.

• Are you complaining about the “‘go go go’ mentality”? That existed well before M+.
  • Are you complaining about “the meta”? That, too, has always existed in the game.

So - serious question here - how do you think that the e-sports scene has “ruined” the game?

14 Likes

Because it’s a buzzword the forums have latched onto.

26 Likes

Hows that cleave working out for you?

2 Likes

I never understood this sentiment either, I think it’s just people who play the game the way they want to play it and they think people taking the game seriously is somehow going to cause Blizzard to make changes that “Ruin their fun” or something.

2 Likes

Blizzard stops balancing for the duration of these stupid tournaments. And that is probably not the best for the game going forward.

46 Likes

Because bads on the forums have convinced themselves that the existence of people running +18’s is the reason they are failing +5 keys.

13 Likes

Isn’t that a little like blaming a busted tail light for ruining an already broken car?

Blizzard’s balance issues go far beyond what happens (or doesn’t) during the MDI.

4 Likes

I agree but during the MDI and AWC they completely stop altogether. It’s insulting that they still charge for this game honestly.

13 Likes

To me, it feels like they’re designing the game around the e-sports lately. I can’t really speak on behalf of arenas, because I only really casually PVP in this game when I do PVP.

But as far as dungeons went, I don’t really like timers being the determining factor of success. That came with the design for dungeons to become an e-sport. Beforehand, they were pocket adventures to have outside of raid. I fondly think back to my time in BRF or ZF or any of the dungeons in BC or Wrath.

But with game systems becoming a competitive sport, the game has changed to be less inclusive of specs or classes that don’t have proper representation in the sports.

I mean, at the end of the day it’s players who have ruined the game, but e-sports are the tool they’re using.

37 Likes

Something something go-go-go mentality

4 Likes

FOr the same reason I would be upset if I were playing a racing game and one day it turned into a side scroller. Extreme hjyperbole added for emphasis.

MMORPGs are NOT E-SPoprt games. It was bad enough when PvP was added, let alone something like arena to MMORGPs.

MMORPGs are meant to be cooperate games. E-Sports are meant to be competitive games. They are opposing philosophies.

MMORGPs are about leveling and the journey. Not a rush to “end game” to do the competitive scene. it’s why you can now level to max. level in less than 24 hours played. It took away what made an MMORPG an MMORPG in an effort to be some other kind of game

35 Likes

The biggest reason is balancing issues. Blizz is very reluctant to balance classes during its esports season. They cater to these teams that are literally a tiny part of the game but the rest of us have suffer. Balance druid and mages, thats all I gotta say. Yet they completely ignore non meta specs that could use serious help

9 Likes

that’s pretty good but you should find a way to work a complaint about MAUs and a reference to Bobby Kotick’s bonus in somehow

4 Likes

If this game didn’t have any competitive elements it would’ve died in Vanilla.

3 Likes

Show us what other tournament that changes things while it’s in progress

1 Like

WoW was not advertised to me as E-Sports.
I don’t think (in retails case) this game was targeted for me if that’s the route we’re going.

5 Likes

They should hold these tourneys at the end of an expansion then once balancing is over.

2 Likes

Look at the content and how it is designed now compared to how it was designed in the past, and there is your answer.

Most likely you won’t agree but that’s okay. You don’t have to.

19 Likes

I mean Blizzard hasn’t actively bothered with proper balancing in a long time. It’s usually bad when they “fix” things.

Well, first thing they could do is remove the word “sport” from anything to do with video games.

9 Likes