[Era] Paladin Seals do not proc when starting combat with Judgement

A common behavior for Paladins in Classic, before the removal of spell batching in patch 1.13.7, was that when you had an active Seal and you, while in melee range, initiated combat with a mob using the Judgement of that Seal you would trigger the effect of that Seal on that first instant auto attack without having to recast the Seal immediately after the Judgement. This gave you the Judgement damage, the auto attack damage and the Seal damage all on the first hit.

Right now this does not happen and you only get the Judgement damage and auto attack damage. The only way to replicate the behavior as close as possible to the original is to have a macro that casts Judgement and the Seal at the same time, which adds a global cooldown that was not needed before.

In the patch 1.13.7 they added the extra Seal duration for Seal twisting:

Paladin seals will now persist on the Paladin for a very short time after they’re replaced by a different seal, so that “seal twisting” remains possible.

I believe triggering this extra Seal duration when casting Judgement would give the expected Classic behavior.

1 Like

What you used to experience was probably a result of the batching they implemented.

If I recall correctly, they removed that. I think things are working as intended. Also, if memory serves, I used to open up with crusader strike and wait for a melee swing to go off before judging just to ensure I wasn’t missing a proc back in 2007/2008. I do not know how much changed between Vanilla and the original TBC back then, but I can say our internet connections were not nearly as fast or stable as they are now.

Yes, the removal of spell batching in the pre-tbcc patch I mentioned is what affected this. The same way it would have removed seal twisting if they did not add that extra seal duration behavior in the same patch. Some Paladin combat mechanics relied on spell batching. Along with Seal twisting, the Seal proc from the auto attack started by Judgement was one of them and it is no longer there.

If preservation of these WoW Classic mechanics are intended, and they possibly are since they added behavior specifically to enable Seal twisting, a simple fix is to make Judgement also trigger the already implemented short extra Seal duration.

1 Like