Enough with borrowed power

I am hoping the big selling point of the expansion after Shadowlands will be sometihing like…

New this! New that! But more importantly… No Borrowed Powers!

3 Likes

I would like to see the return of substats. Hit rate, attack power, avoidance, resistances and leech and dodge etc are/were all great ideas that create immersion but somehow have been given the backseat. They consolidated four sub stats for all classes and in doing so neutered the entire gearing and progression process

And yet there remains in game the odd item that increases attack power or has fire resistance, almost mockingly

1 Like

Same. One time with Legion and the Artifacts was OK since we were using very powerful weapons (some of them with sentience!) to fight against the Burning Legion: It was a unique system, it was interesting to some degree and everything was fine.

However, being repeated every expansion? Please no. You are not going to repeat the Legion experience, you are just going to make it worse.

2 Likes

Borrowed power is all flash and no substance. :100: :+1:

What they should do is focus on classes and improve/add to the existing talent trees.

5 Likes

If it’s not a metric padding thing it’s just flat out incompetent design.

2 Likes

The artifact weapons should have taught everyone all they need to know about temporary systems… DO NOT waste your time grinding them, wait till the .3 patch of any expansion when you are just given macx power level by 1 or 2 quests.

I would have been so angry if I ground azerite for weeks like so many raiders only to see lvl 50 heart just given away a few months later.

4 Likes

I agree. I liked getting a new talent in the row and it stuck with me… now it’s a throw a way set of things I grind all expansion. At the end it just feels deflating, almost like getting far in a game then hitting the reset button to start all over again.

For me at least, it feels bad. I didn’t know how I’d feel Legion into BFA but it was oddly deflating, this will be no different apart from being happy that Azerite will be gone.

Then I’ll see Anima and face palm, lol.

1 Like

It’s all borrowed power. Take off your gear and go try and smack down a 120 mob.

As for the expansion specific systems…

The game can either be “Enjoy rank X+1 of all your existing spells” or we get borrowed power that auto prunes at the end of an expansion.

What we can’t have is expansion after expansion of tier set bonuses, legendaries and everything else under the sun the can be mix and matched in the most extreme game breaking way.

1 Like

Tru, borrowed power is lame. I want more focus on itemization than gambling on choosing the right borrowed powers. I wanna focus on what stats I have, gems, reforging, enchants. I want to have significant itemization differences on gear, I want weirdly itemized items again, making people choose between a chest with high stamina and low agility or high agility and low stamina.

1 Like

Honestly, if it weren’t for me wanting to capitalize on herb/ore profits, I’d do exactly this.

Given that the toolkit and talent tree can’t expand every expansion, we have two options.

One, Blizzard can decide on a toolkit, and that is what your class will be from here on out. Nothing will ever change except losing one set bonus to gain another, which is borrowed power lite.

Or two, Blizzard can decide on a toolkit, and give a much bigger system with customization every expansion that, while it will go away just like a set bonus, will at least provide more than a set bonus that lasts one patch.

I go for option 2.

Very unpopular opinion but… I like borrowed power.

It gives them a way to mix up our classes in a way that doesn’t end up turning them into over bloated messes by the next expansion.

Now, with that being said, I do think Legion did it WAY better than BfA did. At the beginning of legion it was really cool to look at your artifact and be like “Wow, that ability seems really cool, I want to work towards that with my AP” and later on in legion all they really did was add in a few more abilities that changed up how your class played a bit.

In BfA you’re like “Wow, that ability looks cool. I hope I find a armor piece that has it on it and oh, you also have to grind enough azerite to apply it to your gear as well.” Not to mention BfA just kept on piling on more and more overpowered powers until the end of the expansion where a good % of your dps isn’t even from your class anymore.

I have hopes for shadowlands because from what I can tell covenants take more from the legion side than the BfA side. Nothing is locked behind having the correct gear, the abilities seem cool without being obscenely overpowered, and there’s a bit of customization that’s similar to early legion with the artifact paths you had to take.

1 Like

Agreed. I still don’t know what essence I need, or even how I got my current ones really. And Good Lord do I hate learning a new playstyle every time I get a new piece of gear.

1 Like

Not an unpopular opinion at all. Even I really enjoy it. Otherwise would get horribly boring with the same abilities and rotation in each expansion. Also gives a bit of flexibility in the rotation.

Well. Technically raid sets were borowed power, a lot of classes worked completely different and their bonuses were a must have, and a lot changed each pathc cycle in wrath due the bonuses.
Our talents also changed a lot from classic to TBC and from TBC to wrath and from Wrath to Cata till MoP talent revamp, which would still be like a borrower power system.

We always had borrowed power lol.

Benthic armor emphatically demonstrated throughput is MUCH more valuable than stamina.

Dude we aren’t just borrowing power, we are borrowing set piece bonuses from previous sets and removed abilities/talents. Blizzard has cojones the size of grapefruits to be recycling this stuff like they are after removing them in the first place.

1 Like

How so? can you explain?

Raiders were using 425s for the benthic throughput bonus over 455 mythic drops from the raid.

Despite that a 455 has substantially more stamina on it. The benthic item gave more dps.

Also similar to early in 8.3 using a 420 blue with a good corruption over a 475 mythic item. Massive loss in stamina for increase in damage every time.

that’s my point, you could have one set for dps in raids, and another set for survivability/pvp, and even though your ilvl on your pve set was higher, you could still lose to players with lower ilvl in pvp.

To accomplish this now, they add corruption, azerite, and tune specs to have baked in variable survivability/firepower.