Enjoying Paladin!

Hi, community.
This post is to share my impressions on playing a paladin (Protection main spec and Retribution when needed).
First of all, I am coming from 10+ years playing DK (all three specs). I like to be in close quarters and in the middle of the sheet show. I have never really played paladin until returning from a 7 months break from the game.

Let me tell you this: I love it.

Is it perfect? Nope. Every class has its weaknesses. It is part of the game.

But I do really enjoy Paladin. Mainly as Protection and I am learning to play Retribution without embarrassing myself.

It is a really fun class to play. I used to suffer from acute altholism and scatter my play-time across 4 or 5 toons. I do not feel the need to do that anymore.

Pink is a great color !

5 Likes

Interesting.
I usually play Paladin almost every expansion. I’ve now mained DK as I really don’t like how it feels and am tired of dealing with the holy power system. Dealt with it because my love of Paladin lore and class feel in general but yeah.

Well glad you’re enjoying it. I too also deal with altholism so much.

You should have played paladin during WoD, ret specifically. But yeah it’s pretty good, still could do with some improvements.

Stay on your Deathknight then.

2 Likes

Been going back and forth on a few tanking classes. Seem to landing on Prot Pally as the one im having the most fun with.

Brew is a close 2nd. BDK is cool too, but ive just played it so much already over the years…and the Damn Avengers Shield just never seems to dissapoint

I have to say that 9.2 with the double legendary and set bonuses have really made a huge difference in terms of my enjoyment playing Ret. It now feels like a fun spec to play and I don’t feel nearly as weak in terms of damage output and mitigation.

I also really love my Dark Iron Dwarf threads so it’s great that my favorite toon aesthetically is also fun to actually play.

Prot pally is my favorite tank for sure. Effective abilities that are fun to press.

Compare how it feels to press Avenger’s Shield on Prot Pally to, say, Thrash for Guardian Druid!

I really like paladin in BFA. They made changes that I didn’t like but I’m glad you’re enjoying it. I’ll be keeping an eye on paladin in 10.0 though!

Just said how I found it interesting. The switch and all, heck even said glad they enjoying it. Don’t need to be asinine about it.

Guardian is the most uninspired tanking class out there. It can be fun to work around this, but the lean in on Incarn as a basis of the tank is just poor. so every 3 minutes, I go from a 4 button tank class to a 1 button tank class for 30s. Then the 4 piece tier set doubled down on this, felt like a last minute effort you get from a middle schooler turning in a project 1 minute before its due. Just making bear even more reliant on incarn/berserk.

My other tanks thankfully are prot pally and BDK. Prot Pally is fun, especially with tier. But I’ve always love the sword and board style of play and this keeps me going with Prot. Been tanking prot since TBC. Tier set smooths out play and provide a lot of flexibility, like I went back to Seraphim to act as a mini wings more often since I have HP to burn usually.

BDK is wicked fun right now, especially with 4 pc. Its crazy fun with good numbers. A little more engaged than Prot Pally, but less ability to have fun with your group with blessings and stuff.

Both Prot and BDK are in good solid and fun places right now.

I miss WoD Ret so much. Damn, can’t believe we just kept devolving design wise since WoD. What a shame.

2 Likes

While there are some nice things now, but Wod ret was certainly the pinnacle. But I hope that changes in Dragonflight…not really my expectations are pretty low(that way I won’t be disappoint if the don’t and be pleasantly surprised if they do). I just hope they don’t make it worse.