Engineer’s Workshop: Recreating the Ahn’Qiraj War Effort

Too bad for all the unavoidable lag that many players in one spot creates though

An error that they already admitted fault to and fixed as soon as they became aware of it. What do you want them to do?

3 Likes

Wait wait wait wait wait wait wait.

I thought everyone says Blizzard employees can only play horde. Pagle is like 90% alliance. :thinking: surely the players can’t be wrong about the horde/dev bias?

4 Likes

That was a neat read. I look forward to experiencing this when my server opens the gates.

How is that an example? It’s one of the most infamous chains in the game, and many people had dreams of trying it, along with the endurance, resources, and foresight to attempt the grind to get the Scepter chain done before the gong was run. It’s literally players using their existing knowledge to do something.

3 Likes

Too bad they didn’t CHANGE the item’s needed so you couldn’t stop up and get the war effort done in 10 hours too.

BUT they will go and change all the quest items to epic cause got to make sure no one does the quest wrong

After 15 years playing Horde, I switched to Alliance with the release of Classic. It was a difficult transition for my wife and me. While she’s very supportive of me and my efforts to combat faction biases, it came with a lot of difficulties. The culture is very different, and we’re doing our best to adapt.

The most challenging thing has been the Alliance’s negative reaction to the practice of eating the corpses of your fallen enemies to restore your strength before your next battle. I mean, obviously, I don’t really want to eat my previous Horde allies, but surely we can all agree that Murlocs are a tasty treat!

13 Likes

How possible is it to bring these kinds of optimizations to the Live/Retail servers, particularly for enormous RP Server events?

Exactly. The first time around it was a new thing to all. Now it’s been over-analyzed and over-optimized, it’s a completely different experience.

Blizzard could have at least made an attempt to keep some mystery in the event by changing some of the items and quests a little. Different war supplies, different mobs that have items, and so on.

Yes, Classic is a reimplementation of Vanilla but by making it as exact a copy as possible it becomes much different than the original Vanilla feel. It’s a bad emulation of the original game.

You’re being disingenuous, of course. Back in the day the original dev team admitted to mainly playing horde. I’m sure many of them did play alliance and in the ensuing years many others did too.

1 Like

Nothing, I was curious as to the technical reasons for why it happened. On a second re-read and with @Kaivax’s comment, I think it makes sense what happened.

Despite my/our crankiness in the moment in the closing hour(s) of the war, this did turn out to be an unforgettable event for me/us, and I think things turned out okay. Nice to see some context from behind-the-scenes as well.

That guy probably isn’t even level 60. Blizzard doesn’t play their own game anymore.

1 Like

“50 undead mage”

Sorry just made me laugh

2 Likes

Glad to hear it! :slight_smile:

I also had a great time.

I’m somewhat fortunate that my own realm was late to open our gates, so that I actually had a chance to participate. (I was working during the initial gate openings in each region, as you might expect).

My own realm was crowded enough to trigger the teleport code, and I got bit by a bug that caused the teleports to port out random players instead of the last people to enter, so even though I was online and at the gong hours ahead of time, I was ported out just before the gong was actually rung.

We found the source of that bug, and it will be fixed soon, but we can’t go back in time and prevent it, of course. Still, my guild made the best of it, and somebody who was still in Silithus streamed the gate opening to the rest of us so we could watch while we got ready to farm the crystals at other locations in Kalimdor. We had a pretty good time with the mind-control mechanic allowing us to attack people trying to steal our spawn. Of course, we also occasionally killed each other by mistake. :slight_smile:

We were able to return to Silithus after about an hour once the population calmed down, and overall I had a really good time participating in this once-in-a-realm’s-lifetime event. I hope you all did too.

2 Likes

You did a bad job.

6 Likes

SERIOUSLY!?!?!?!

You guys have no reason to pat yourselves on back.

My experience on PAGLE was lag to the point where I couldn’t play, followed by being kicked out of the zone, followed by a server crash that lasted more than an hour, followed by a war effort that failed to end on time!

So, I have no idea what you are congratulating.

4 Likes

So basically, they do really all play Horde, except when it comes to how the game existed 15 years ago prior to the significant and obvious Horde bias.

im trying to think of how nostalrius was able to handle having a ton of players in one place so much better than blizzard was
all i can think of is that they had a completely different approach to their server telling players what other players are doing, which for all I know was less secure than what blizzard is doing, and by less secure i mean easier to hack and cheat and whatnot

being a non-programmer, I could only imagine the most bare basics of what that approach may have been; it sounds like a difficult design problem

2 Likes

It was really poorly done. I’ve seen better events generated on the fly from the Neverwinter Nights toolset almost 20 years ago. And with less lag.

3 Likes

People wonder why blizzard isnt more active on the boards

This is why. We get it, you are upset. The guy you are griping at probably had nothing to do with the issues but you are hell bent on letting him hear it

I dont blame them at all for not coming on these boards more

6 Likes

One of the biggest things they did was massively decrease draw distance–the server simply wouldn’t tell you about other people who were more than <some small number> meters away. Blizzard presumably considered that option and decided against it.

2 Likes