Enemy Nameplate Distance

I’ve noticed a very annoying problem. Enemy nameplate rendering are a fixed distance. The issue for me is they are rendering too far out. I go through a Dungeon like Tol Dagor and I see Nameplates everywhere through the floor and the ceiling. its too much. I want to shorten the rendering distance so I only see the nameplates within a short radius. Also with that many it causes frame rate to drop.

It can be. It’s comparable to a console command.

/run SetCVar(“nameplateMaxDistance”, “[x]”)

Type that in and just set your preferred yard range for [x]. Possible there may be a minimum distance, and you may need to do so for every session.

ah okay, I was wrong then.

get the addon “advanced interface options” there is a slider for name plate distance which goes from 10 to 100.

1 Like

You can also use the AdvancedInterfaceOptions addon to adjust nameplate distance.

EDITED TO ADD: The setting is per character.

1 Like

Blizz hard coded it because people in Classic were abusing it and the same techniques could have been applied to Retail.

2 Likes

So their fix was to hard-limit it to half the range of the ranged folks. This seems… derpy? Why not 35y? Default ranged attack range is 30y, and it goes up from there with talents. So now ranged attackers (the Hunters esp are porked here) have to be just about up the nose of what they’re fighting to see if they’re doing damage?

Seems very arbitrary and capricious, to go for the big terms.

5 Likes

It really messes up Warlocks too in terms of keeping track of DOTs. I hope they fix it an acceptable range based on spells. Like you can only see a dot on a target’s name plate if it has that range. I guess that would make way to much sense for the folks at Blizzard though.

Forum Mod Edit: This post has been edited by a moderator due to masked language as it is in violation of the Code of Conduct.

1 Like

I had this issue where I couldn’t see my damage over 20 yards, and this post made me realize my nameplate add-on, plater, may be interfering. It was! It was set to 20 yards. Has a slider. Don’t overlook that if you use it! :slight_smile: