Encouraged Toxicity

Way back when BFA was starting, there was a thread that asked Alliance players what they wanted out of this war, and I realized that my only answer was that I just wanted this whole nightmare to be over.

If Blizzard’s goal was to make me so utterly sick of the faction war as a concept that I’d thoroughly drink the Anduin Wrynn kool aid and embrace total peace and cooperation because the tragic and forced nature of the faction war has broken me beyond any and all hope, then mission accomplished.

7 Likes

You know, it actually did the opposite for me. I now see peace as an impossibility. As long as the Horde continues to harbour dangerous elements like the Forsaken and warmonger Orcs there will never be peace for the Alliance. They will always be under threat and the only remedy is extermination.

6 Likes

Now think about how possible that objective is.

1 Like

Not possible at all. Multiple races aren’t going to be completely killed off from a faction. I’m fully expecting a forced peace that makes no sense for either side to go along with.

1 Like

Hence my despair. There’s no point in hoping, or hanging onto this war in hopes of any sort of retribution. This whole plotline exists to bring pain and suffering to both sides, to stoke the fires of vengeance, righteous vengeance even, and then grab it by the neck and choke it at the last moment for a big ol’ nothing.

2 Likes

Eh give apathy a try. It makes life easier.

As far as I can tell the faction wars is suppose to promote how awful it is. At the end of the day Warcraft’s message has been(at least since Warcraft 3) that the faction wars caused misery to everyone involved.

But at the same time, at least for the Alliance, it is something you need to fight for. Peace is ironically only achievable though conflict sometimes. The obvious thing for the Alliance is to avoid crossing a line that would make you as bad as Sylvanas. Obviously Blizzard will show the Alliance crossing it(at least to a certain degree) but ultimately I think they are going to make sure the Alliance wont remain their for long.

As for the Horde, well, it has always been dark! Stopping Garrosh never really “changed” the Horde, at least not enough in a fundamental level to actually make peaceful coexistance with the Alliance possible. The Horde has ALWAYS had too much of a Dark side. Personally, until Sylvanas is finally dealt with I dont the Horde would ever escape their villain bat material.

1 Like

Then you know the reason why i am starting to care less and less about the alliance, the horde or the lore in general.
Peace, at this point is impossible.
i don’t care how many old gods or void lords they throw at us.
i would rather see the world destroyed before working with the horde again. so since that is exactly what is going to happen (hopefully not)
i think that i am looking with better eyes other games.

there is NOTHING the alliance could do to be as bad as sylvanas or the horde.
and at this point i don’t even care if we do.

5 Likes

Honestly, it would be quite easy to make the Alliance as bad as Sylvanas, hell all Jaina needs to do is steal the Focusing Iris and drown Ogrimmar. Having said that, the point is not to go down that root and to prove the Alliance is better than her!

Logically, I’d like to say peace is now an impossibility. The very IDEA of Tyrande or Talanji just…throwing in the towel after everything they’ve lost would be a massive insult to their characters. One that as a Troll player, I don’t think I could forgive.

On a different note, in regards to Darrethy’s words about ‘real life’. Now, I’m not trying to offend anyone, but I saw a thread a month or two ago that asked what I would do if given the option of capture or death should the other side win. I, and many others answered “Death” pretty solidly. Shortly afterwards, this gave me some serious Imperial Japan vibes when I thought about it in relation to the Battle of Dazar alor. An island kingdom with a heavily spiritual culture? A navy thats their main strategic asset? A leader who is looked upon by their people as practically one with the divine? A nation that when confronted with a massive invasion force and not nearly enough power to repel them answers the call for a peaceful surrender with a: “Naw, we’ll die before admitting defeat and make you pay for every inch”? Seems very Japan to me.

Obviously the parallels aren’t perfect, but well I just remembered the Troll lore that talks about Loa spirits being in all sorts of things, even common household objects. Much like Kami in Shinto that exist in most physical things. Course the Alliance isn’t a perfect America equivalent and theres no nukes, nor does Zandalar have any historical similarity to Japan.

This is also not a reason why players have been at each other’s throats, but when OP mentioned Blizz drawing us closer to RL by making us more involved in the Faction War, this recent idea in my mind sprang up, and I couldn’t put it away.

8 Likes

not sure about that.
since i would see her as a true hero if she did that.
orcs, and the horde have proven what their are worth.
and that is being absolute thrash who deserves to be exterminated.
War is all they know, so the only way to stop war and have true peace, is end the threat once and for all.
because they can’t be 2 seconds without attacking someone.

the nelfs saved the world 3 times and they still were attacked unprovoked MULTIPLE times by the orcs/horde.

i truly think that the horde is equal or worse than the legion or the scourge,and what we do with npc factions?
we kill them all.

we can prove that we are better than them.
By showing them what happens when you provoke a superior faction
that could wipe you in 5 seconds if they make their demigods form a group of 5 to solo the entire horde,like they should.

Would that make her sylvanas? does that even matters? they would be doing the universe a favor.
buut like i said, don’t really care if we are “as bad as sylvanas/horde” the horde needs to be dismantled either way.
and so far, the only ones who has showed some form of redemption/good faith has been baine/zelling but i doubt that is enough.

blizzard forgot that the horde is a playable faction.

1 Like

As a Night Elf player, I can assure you that insulting Tyrande’s character is a Blizzard hobby at this point. Hopefully Talanji doesn’t go through that kind of humiliation, but I wouldn’t count your cards just yet.

1 Like

We all know it’s going to go something like peace will be declared by Anduin and Saurfang while Talanji and Tyrande are standing at the buffet raising no objections that the other faction massacred their people/murdered their king respectively.

6 Likes

I think you’re describing a personal problem and projecting it on to other people.

1 Like

If the zandalari are japan then is the horde italy? :thinking:

-not-mussolini starts big dumb war
-horde start getting their ***** kicked in
-alliance sympathizers trying to boot notmussolini out and switch sides

“My book Crimes of War and Sylvanas’s trial was based on my research into Mussolini and Italy” - Golden. Watch it happen :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

It is true that there is some heated debates in this forum but since the begining of BFA I also saw a lot of crossfaction support from the Horde players about Teldrassil and from Alliance players about their evil narrative.

It depends of the posters but the majority of regulars here are unbiased enough. The story forum is truly a good place full of nice people just talking about how much they love the story of this game.

4 Likes

I can’t agree strongly enough! I took a break from WoW early on in Legion, the last quest I did was getting the Tear of Elune with Tyrande. And I come back to this!

I LIKED working with Blue Team to face an even greater threat, at least the concept of it. I’ve always liked the comics where two polar opposites come together and find common ground and camaraderie in a struggle against The Big Evil.

7 Likes

For a moment I though OP was talking about toxic masculinity which has been a trend in wow since Golden joined the group

1 Like

I mean, is that projection?

Projection would require me to deny that the quality I am describing exists within myself, it is after all a defense mechanism. But i’m not, not only do I acknowledge it’s a problem I have, but more then one night i’v spent arguing with people about the merits of Alliance and Horde racial identity like i’m at a Anti-Fascist Black Bloc rally rather then talking about playing a video game.

It also seems to be something that at least a few other people noticed as well.

6 Likes

Yeah, Blizzard does go out of their way to make the two halves of the playerbase absolutely hate one another with faction conflict expansions, and to be honest, WoW is set up for tribalism so that, before such an expansion even begins, the antagonism already starts.

While I’d say that colors discussion to an extent, the fact is, the content around which discussions are based are intentionally colored to begin with. “Unreliable Narrator,” has become such an over-used trope that there is a fan-theory that we’re actually in two separate realities divided by faction right now, and to be fair, the two experiences are so divergent, that’s almost possible to believe.