Elven Skin Tones In SL

Why do we have dark skin options? I don’t remember reading lore that said Dark Elves were a thing. If we had to have dark skin tones wouldn’t having blue or purple skin tones been more appropriate since Troll->Kal’dorei->Sin(Ren)'dorei? Instead we get a really dark brown?

Honestly, I don’t really care that we have the option but I just can’t help but ask: Why?

P.S. I totally intend to put it to use when I swap genders in SL to make a Red haired, blue eyed Dark Elf Protection Paladin with that little crown hair style <3 hot.

P.S.S. What would we call a Dark Elf in the WoW elven tongue? Children of the Earth or Darkness? Gaia’dorei? Nox’dorei?

We don’t need a lore reason for more skin colors.

Cheese and crackers why does this bug so many people?

7 Likes

Elf.

4 Likes

Completely agree, I mean, why do we care where different people come from in real life? I mean, it’s just their history, their beliefs, their culture. :man_shrugging:

Darker toned night elf skins added? No one says a thing.
Other troll tribe skins added, including a jet black skin we’ve never seen associated with previous tribes before? Crickets.
Different fur options for Worgen and Tauren? Nothing…

Dark skin tones for humans and blood elves? REEEEEEEEEE

11 Likes

It’s only skin deep.

I think the only problem is named npcs.

2 Likes

Well, that’s certainly interesting. thanks for sharing.

It was no trouble.

At the very least, the darker high elves might’ve been at sea with those strange banners? :thinking:

There was actually a thalassian elf in an AU who had darker skin, I’m pretty sure. But honestly, do we even need a lore justification for such a harmless addition? It’s making people happy and it gives us more customization options, so who even cares? The more options the better :stuck_out_tongue:

6 Likes

We don’t but I just can’t help but be overly curious to how it would fit in lore.

I mean, you’re magically altered night elves hit by titan/old god/magic withdrawals.

And night elves are already pretty colorful, but that means you’ve also got troll genetics, particularly dark trolls.

…So I’unno, recessive trait? Magical tiny troll traits!

4 Likes

Lol. that last line. Have a like for making me laugh.

1 Like

Dark Trolls are, in theory, the variety that came into contact with the well of eternity and mutated into the grotesques we call elves. Didn’t think they still existed but here we are.

2 Likes

Literally none of the new customization options have any lore behind them. Maybe the Night Elf burn scars but that’s about it. They are just there for added customization.

3 Likes

While true, the one surviving Dark Troll model in the game has a dark blue Night Elfy skin tone (Probably due to palette limitations). Her name is Speaker Ik’nal.

It’s not out of the ordinary to speculate that the Dark Troll tribe could have had that ebony color in their genes, as it looks like living Dark Trolls in WCIII were much darker in tone, but it’s just one example of how little skin tones matter lore wise.

1 Like

It’s like when people want to talk about the demographics of Azeroth’s humans.

Well, no matter what your thesis, it’s got to content with the fact that they’re METAL ROBOTS CURSED BY DARK GODS TO BE FLESH HORRORS NOW.

5 Likes

All elves evolved from “Dark Trolls.”

If you don’t like a character option offered, don’t use it. I happen to like the new skin tones and other options.

4 Likes

They’re burnt.

2 Likes

I never said I didn’t like it. I’m perfectly fine with the skin with plans to use it. I just like thinking about how things would fit into lore.

I don’t remember being inside giant burning trees to get burnt skin.

But now you’ll know a bit how it feels.