Elemental Storm Issues

I’ve been working on the Storm Chaser achievement and I’ve noticed a couple of issues.

1. For the last 2 (maybe 3) days, the storms has only been in Azure Span. I understand where they spawn is supposed to be random, but it seems to be strictly favoring Azure Span.
  2. The last time it was in Thaldruszus at Tyrhold (it was a sandstorm), only a handful of mobs had the buff to get credit for Sandstorms in Thaldruszus in all of Tyrhold. Along with that, none of the mobs affected by the buff were giving credit for killing the 200 enemies.
15 Likes

Jumping in here because I’ve been noticing the same thing with the Elemental Storm events. It’s pretty wild – out of the last 9 storms we’ve had in the last 24 hours, 7 were chilling in the Azure Span. And if we zoom out to the whole week, it’s 20 out of 56 storms that decided Azure Span is the place to be.

With Blizzard throwing in that meta achievement where you need to take down 200 storm-infused mobs for each of the 4 elementals in each zone (Azure Span, Thaldraszus, Waking Shores, and Ohn’ahran Plains), the skew towards Azure Span really throws a wrench in the works. It’s like playing darts in the dark trying to hit those achievements when the storms hardly ever hit the other zones.

Anyone else tracking this or feeling the Azure Span love a bit too much? Would be interesting to see if it’s just a weird streak or if our stormy friends really have found a favorite new hangout spot.

6 Likes

I’ve noticed the same thing and have a theory about why Azure span and occasionally waking shore seem to have way more storms than the other two zones. Thaldraszus and Ohn’ahran plains both only have 1 possible spawn location while waking shore has 2 and Azure Span has a whopping 3.

If the game is just picking a random spawn, the storm is 3 times more likely to spawn in azure span and 2 times more likely to spawn in waking shore than it is to spawn in Thaldraszus or Ohn’aran plains.

Source: I have not missed a storm spawn since the patch. Yes that means that I have not slept for more than 3 hours in a row in almost a week.

This achievement is incredibly problematic and before anyone comes in with the “you should have done it sooner” This achievement never had a reward tied to it and neither did the into the storm meta. There was 0 reason to do this achievement prior to patch 10.2.6. Blizzard only added a reward tied to this achievement after changing it to be this rng fiesta. In it’s current implementation, this achievement is completely unreasonable and I would argue statistically impossible for anyone that sleeps or does not work from home to complete.

9 Likes

As everyone mentioned above and also in Wowhead, nearly all the primal storms have been occurring in the Azure Span, perhaps since the change was made to reduce storms to just one at a time (10.0.7?).

My guess is that this is because there originally used to be two storms that spawned at the same time, where each set was biased for a certain set of regions, perhaps to avoid cases where the same zone ended up with two storms at the same time.

Blizzard, please look into this single storm rotation. A fixed rotation would be awesome. Or just change the Storm Chaser achievement to complete all Azure Span storms only. :stuck_out_tongue: (realistically, how about complete one storm in each zone, or complete 4 storms for each elemental type, or kill 3200 or whatever storm empowered mobs, etc)

edit: From look at comments in the Wowhead Storm Chaser achievement page, the Azure Span bias has been occurring since at least December 2023.

1 Like

This is terribly implemented RNG that is almost easily fixed by adding a second storm back and making them region exclusive.

The second was taken away to push people into Forbidden Reach.

2 Likes

I agree that the RNG is favoring Azure Span far too much with the extra locations. a friend and I have been charting basically every NA spawn for the past few days (missed a couple 2am/5am ones), and this is my breakdown:

Azure Span: 23
Waking Shores: 6
Ohn’ahran Plains: 3
Thaldraszus: 3

In fact earlier yesterday some lucky punter could have finished all 4 Azure Span storms in the space of 13 hours, but there hasn’t been a single storm in Ohn’ahran Plains in about 36 hours.

at MINIMUM a fix here could be that a storm should not spawn in the same zone twice in a row.

7 Likes

PLEASE fix the spawns!

4 Likes

I concur. Please fix the spawns!

2 Likes

I started keeping a spread sheet because I’m a nerd. I started tracking them on the evening of 3/25 and I don’t have the times for the 2 AM PST spawns, feel free to fill in the blanks. Times are in PST:

-3/25 8 PM Firestorm Azure Span
-3/25 11 PM Firestorm Azure Span
-3/26 5 AM Firestorm Azure Span (I was told)
-3/26 8 AM Firestorm Azure Span
-3/26 11 AM Thunderstorm Azure Span
-3/26 2 PM Sandstorm Thaldraszus
-3/26 5 PM Sandstorm Azure Span
-3/26 8PM Snowstorm Azure Span
-3/26 11 PM Sandstorm Azure Span
-3/27 5 AM Firestorm Azure Span

So in the last 12 events, 9 (or more) have been in Azure Span and most of them firestorms. I hope the people that needed these for the meta completed them but this is a bit ridiculous. I gathered this would be the straggler achievement for a lot of people, myself included.

Anyway - Blizz, look at whatever scheduled job determines the rotation and consider reverting these to hourly.

EDIT: I’ve continued tracking it, it’s gotten somewhat better, we’ve had a few hits on Thaldraszus and Ohn’ahran Plains, so it seems to be improving. Thought about posting the ones I’ve seen since my original post but seems like noise now.

6 Likes

Kaivax could we please get this bug looked into, also i am sorry for pinging you like this. but this is a major issue for the New Meta

5 Likes

And we’re back to the Azure Span Fiesta:

Out of 12 spawns since yesterday, we’ve had at least 6 in Azure Span. At least they’re not all Firestorms.

For the love of god…please put this back to the original 2 spawns at a time! Event is depressing when it is Azure Span 50%

1 Like

Today, I’ve seen the Storm’s Fury event pop up for sandstorm in Tyrhold… four times in a row. All of them sandstorms. What the heck is going on?