Electronic and Dance Music V.2

As an homage to the original, I thought I would give this one a go again.

So, gonna kick it off with what is generally considered to be the very first “electronic / dance” track. Production by Giorgio Moroder, “the father of Disco.”

And then, another of my all-time faves, Crystal Method with “Cherry Twist”:

2 Likes

I’ve been listening to a lot of psychedelic stuff lately.

1 Like

Thanks for the shares, that’s some interesting stuff. Digging it. 'Specially the Ott track, that one is excellent. Great vibes.

Pnau just released a new single, Solid Gold;

Pnau also brought you Go Bang and Chameleon from their album Changa, whose title track I like best;

Maybe you remember them for their song Baby, maybe not. They’re pretty heckin’ rad though.

1 Like

@Vertigineux I’d never heard of them before your post, thanks for the introduction. Solid Gold is a really catchy track, and both videos are great too. :+1:t4::+1:t4:

Speaking of “never heard this track before,” here’s one I discovered tonight. Not familiar with the artist or label. Kudos to Soma.fm (specifically the Groove Salad channel - though Fluid is a great one too), another excellent source for a more chilled electronic vibe.

http://somafm.com/groovesalad.pls
http://somafm.com/

P.S. I get that this is just a fan-made video, at least I think it is, but whoever made it did a great job, IMHO. Visuals fit the vibe very well.

2 Likes

That’s some excellent “I’m an overloaded introvert and need to decompress” music.

1 Like

That it is, for sure, and quite often. In my world anyway.

'Course sometimes I get a burst of energy LOL. Gotta give Mr. B. a couple minutes to get going on this one, but I think it’s one of his best.

Music du jour for me is hardcore.

1 Like

One of the reasons I love Mr. Reznor - even as far back as Pretty Hate Machine he embraced electronics as part of his production. Drum machines, synths, etc. He was rocking the “hip-hop 808 kick” on his tracks when virtually no other rock/industrial acts were even considering it.

Plus, where did that funky sax come from at the end? Genius! :+1:

1 Like

I wanna talk about Ulver for a bit. They started out in the mid 90s with the release of Bergtatt, an experimental folk-y black metal album that received a lot of critical acclaim. Every album they’ve produced after that has gone further down that experimental route, from the jazzy trip hop mood music of Perdition City

…to the dark and somber ambience of Eos

…to the “are you sure this isn’t Depeche Mode?” synthpop of The Assassination of Julius Caesar.

Don’t get me wrong, Ulver definitely has some misses, but the music they get right, they get damn right.

1 Like

“Some Old School Electronic Dance Sounds.”

/smile
/dance
2 Likes

@Gaahr and @Sinikka, thank you both. I really dig it when people share music and also say a little something about why they like it or what it means to them.

Never heard any of the tracks you folks posted - nor had I ever heard of Ulver at all - but that’s four excellent tracks to start off my day.

I’ve heard plenty of Monkees, but only casually, all the hits that charted, I guess. I love to see musical artists in the 60s working with banks of wires and filters and stuff. That track is very Summer of Love, though I dunno if this might have came out in the fall or winter LOL.

As for Ulver, I’m gonna delve more into their catalog, 'cause I love all the different styles you posted here. It goes kinda exactly as you said, I love the trip hop feel of Lost in Moments, the moody / ethereal feel of Eos, and yeah, Transverbation does remind me of Depeche in more ways that one.

Soooo, to try and keep “on theme”, here’s a classic by Kraftwerk that came out just a few years after that Monkees track ('72 for Kraftwerk vs. '67 for the Monkees.)

I wanna say that the Monkees were influenced by them, LOL, but Daily Nightly was released a couple years before Kraftwerk (then called, “The Organisation”) was even formed.

Yeah, they ring bells and hit triangles for two minutes at the beginning. :rofl: If that is putting you to sleep, start at about 2:00.

…yeah, erm, I just finished listening to Kling Klang in its entirety, and it is a very, very sleepy track, no? Here’s the wake-up. Though I don’t hear any direct samples in this track, note the title.

“Remember when this came out?..”

“…Music to really chill by.”
/smile
2 Likes

Can’t say I remember when it came out, but that’s only because it was released two years before I was born. :sunglasses:

As for the album itself, I have indeed heard it many times. Early on, my parents used to play it when I was a little kid. Then, in the mid-to-late 80s when hip-hop started sampling the heck out of it, I dug out the record myself and again played it till I was sick of it. Well, passages of it anyway.

Now as an adult I’ll occasionally throw it on and reminisce.

:+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1::+1:

1 Like

/happy morning dance

As the sun rises…

Oliver Lieb just released a new L.S.G. album, “Inside Voices”. I can’t link anything but you can YouTube it if you’re interested. Haven’t heard anything from this moniker of his in a while, it’s real nice.

Fans of ethereal techno, imbibe.

1 Like

Here we go, friend. For posterity and excellent vibes:

1 Like

/happy tentacle dance
2 Likes