Ele Shaman when to cast Earth Shock

I’m just returning to WoW since BfA and sorting through the changes to Ele.

One thing I found is that my old WeakAuras was set to have me cast Earth Shock at 85 or more maelstrom.

What is the thinking now regarding when it’s best to cast Earth Shock? I’m not seeing much of it mentioned in rotation guides I’m finding. I realize it’s somewhat based on build, but I’m wondering if its priority is still based on maelstrom amount.

Thanks!

1 Like

Welcome back Denebi!
Hope you are enjoying your return!

Earth shock the moment its available to spend maelstrom as depending on the build you’re using it grants a direct benefit that stacks Magma Chamber and Windspeaker’s Lava Resurgence located at the lower right side of the elemental talent tree.
Rotating through Lava surge procs and Earth Shock, you’ll find a good bounceback between the two suitable for most encounters.

Not so much dependent on the amount of maelstrom, just as long as that resource is available you should spend it when you can between Lava Bursts, try not to cast two earth shocks back to back if you can help it.

1 Like

Thanks! I’m still leveling and it helps to know this.

1 Like

Lava Burst (with a Lava Surge)…
and Lava Burst during Ascendance…

take priority over Earth Shock with Master of the Elements active.

If MOTE isn’t active, Earth Shock is a lower priority than hardcasting a Lava Burst.

The priority looks like:

• Fire Elemental
  • Primordial Wave if you don’t have Splintered Elements active
  • Flame Shock if the dot is within the pandemic window and Primordial Wave doesn’t come off cooldown in time
  • Use Stormkeeper when you are above 66 Maelstrom Maelstrom.
  • Lava Burst if you have a Lava Surge active or during Ascendance
  • Elemental Blast/ Earth Shock if you have Master of the Elements active
  • Lava Burst
  • Frost Shock with Icefury and Master of the Elements active
  • Lightning Bolt with Surge of Power
  • Icefury
  • Elemental Blast/ Earth Shock
  • Frost Shock with Icefury active
  • Lightning Bolt
1 Like

Thanks for the detailed info. But DAMN that seems pretty complicated!

Hopefully I’ll grow into it.

1 Like