Ectoplasmic distiller going to stay how it is?

The distiller is not suppose to generate threat, link me one video from vanilla not some private server or give me an archived guide because if it was so powerful why did no one use it in vanilla’s Naxx40?

Because it didn’t work like you claim.

They did:

https://www.reddit.com/r/wow/comments/4wnnlk/a_confession_i_was_the_mt_in_a_top_raiding_guild/

1. Nefarian (BWL) - Phase 1 of this fight has waves and waves of drakonoids that need to be burned down and 1 or 2 tanks are usually used to hold aggro on them. This is where we discovered the “exploit”.
  2. Fankriss the Unyielding (AQ40) The bugs that spawned all around the room would just walk straight to the offtank without having to be redirected.
  3. Grobbulus (Naxx) offtank could just run around with his back to the slimes and never get hit, all slimes would just walk to the offtank.

It worked exactly that way.

2 Likes

An anonymous testimonial is not credible evidence of anything. There is quite literally no evidence on that thread.

As I said earlier, this wasn’t written yesterday it was posted three years ago. So either:

a) It worked this way in Vanilla

or

b) This guy was able to predict a bug that would occur three years in the future to a very specific quest item.

6 Likes

Or you know it was that way in 1.9 and this is 1.12…

You have literally no idea what’re talking about do you.

Naxx wasn’t 1.9.

But that’s fine. I answered you.

It DID work that way in Vanilla and it WAS used in Naxx. That’s what you asked for, isn’t it? Yes. No need to get mad because this wasn’t some Classic bug like you thought.

It worked this way at least until the TBC pre-patch.

2 Likes

A hotfix was applied late last night that made it so the Ectoplasmic Distiller quest item would no longer generate threat. We made this change because in patch 1.12, dropping this item applied a buff to everybody in range of the item, and since buffs generate threat by default, it could be used to trivialize the threat mechanics in many encounters. We don’t believe this was an intended effect and this was a case where the impact was extreme enough to warrant the change.

Another notable reason for the change is that this item is not a quest reward, but item used as part of the mechanics to complete a quest, which is then removed when the quest is complete. We want quest completion to be a rewarding experience, and not feel like a mistake.

24 Likes

Dartol’s Rod of Transformation nerf incoming

19 Likes

You mean, like world buffs being used in raid encounters?

Actiblizzard is a mess. I will not be here for Classic TBC because it will be more of the same mess. Thank you for ruining such a great game.

12 Likes

Where you at on the abusing game mechanics going on?

2 Likes

The game is fine. This change was necessary for a broken item. Trying to compare this to world buffs is apples to oranges, and considering your posting on a retail avatar, maybe stick with retail?

9 Likes

I guess you’ll have to #change all classic quests to their cataclysm versions then since many quests have “fun” items that get removed upon completion.

7 Likes

This wasn’t really a “fun” item, it was a m assive aoe threat gen item.

It also makes no sense it should gen threat as the buff is specific for its quest and nothing that matters in most of the game and that isn’t even applied by the person who used it a it’s coming from the dropped item.

1 Like

Okay cool so then why don’t you fix world buffs, which even more trivialize aspects of raiding? And which some of are also one-shot buffs produced by turning in a quest on cooldowns, so some people who didn’t know about it “wasted” their turnins?

8 Likes

World buffs are working as intended this wasn’t.

5 Likes

So some weapons procs not triggering on spell GCD is also “working as intended”? What about Diamond Flask doing 1k HP5S?

7 Likes

So mages exploiting terrain bugs to pull entire instances and AOE them down were definately intended game mechanics in classic. Where is the cut off then for these arbitrary unintended side effects that warrent fixes?

9 Likes

Weird that seems to be a separate issue.

1 Like

Probably how easy they are to do and how little the change impacts anything else.

1 Like

Yeah because mages being able to farm thousands of gold per day in the 30 inatance lock out affects nothing at all.

5 Likes