Easy Transmog/Customization Win: Unused Models and Recolors

There are a TON of unused models currently in the game files. A ton. While poking through the files in WoW Model Viewer, I’ve seen a lot of things that made me go “wtf I want that??” or “how the hell did we never get this?”

I finally dumped a BUNCH of those types of models into an imgur album: https://imgur.com/gallery/LivMSZj

These are all from the BC era, with a huge chunk being Sunwell and Black Temple weapon recolors, or completely unused models. It’s a long scroll, but I definitely encourage clicking through and checking them out. Here’s a couple I personally wanted to highlight-

And imo, best of all, “High Elf” themed recolors of Sunwell items.

Best/worst part?
This is a tiny, tiny fraction of what currently exists in the files and is not used. This isn’t even comprehensive for just the BC era, only things I personally thought were really cool, and I didn’t even scrape the surface of armor sets. All of these items exist in the files alongside regular models and are simply not implemented. From the limited capacity I understand of the dev process, it seems like the vast majority of work on all of these has already been done, so why not throw them in somewhere? Expanding Trial of Style rewards would likely be the easiest solution since none of that needs to “make sense.”

8 Likes

I started taking a deeper dive into more unused weapons - not just BC era - and it’s an absolute gold mine. Particularly interesting are some labeled “draktharon” and they’re a really cool troll theme.

The troll stuff starts in this post and continues in the reply. The 2h axe is awesome.

3 Likes

Alright if all we get out of this are some of the unused Nexus models…

I think we’d all be happy.

2 Likes

They need to make the Rogue Tier 21 boots available in all recolors, as well as add the rest of the missing parts of the Tier 21 Antorus raid sets.

Omitting the boots of the Rogue sets was one of the dumbest things they ever did regarding transmog, and they’ve refused to properly fix this.

Easy way to fix this is to put the missing Tier 21 appearances on the eventual Legion Timewalking vendor.

Another thing they need to do is add the recolors of ALL Heritage Armor sets and perhaps a few new recolors, especially since Nightborne are finally getting the option to have gold jewelry. Lightforged Draenei might need their Heritage Set recolors for their new options as well.

1 Like

Agreed. There are also a bunch of appearances from vanilla that became unobtainable after Cataclysm because the sources were changed or removed. I’d love to get some of those.

1 Like

Ugh yeah, lost items are super frustrating. I technically played around when OG Naxx was available, but not a clothie, and had no idea transmog was going to become a thing. I’ve wanted the Glacial Gloves for so long, but they’re basically unobtainable and were for a long time when transmog got implemented. It’s a huge waste.

Also, I’ve compiled some more items into a nicer format. Here’s a link to all the “cotstrat” items that were unused (some were used and I just wasn’t aware lol).