Easiest way to sell on the auction house?

So I’m trying to make a bit of gold there. I have never traded seriously, up until now I just used Auctionator, undercut everything current 1 silver, sold the rest to a NPC and called it a day. Somehow I’m not sure this is the optimal way to go about things. The only addon I’ve found that seems to be better than what I already have is TSM. Oh boy is it complicated…

But first things first. Before I sell anything, what is the best way to farm outside the auction house? Should I do all covenant callings on all my alts for that chest reward? Or should I stick to one toon and farm herbs and ores (I would prefer that option tbh)? Something else entirely?
I’ve heard about sniping. I sort of get what it is, but with all the people doing it, do I really have a chance of getting anything?

Once I’ve got all my farm, how do I make the most profit out of it? Using TSM, do I really need to place each item in groups one by one? How do I keep track of all of this? Do I need to manually make auctioning operations? Has no one figured out the best, optimal formula yet?

And most importantly, why do we not have buy orders in this game?

No easy way.
You have to learn your server.
Get TSM at least set up to give you market prices.
[A big gold goblin like Hikons doesn’t use TSM often, just for prices, I use TSM just for convenience once I learned how to set up my groups etc]

Baby steps.

If you are farming and just wanting to put things on the AH.
Get TSM for the market price and if it’s super inflated, look at regional price, it helps you see what that material might be worth so if it’s super low on your server then best to wait it out or post at a better price.

It’s just a game of knowing the fundamentals.

Triple check the posting price so you are not making the mistake of posting something that someone else purposefully posted at a super cheap price [they do it as a way to snag some suckers items at an extremely low price point].

→ Callings is a nice way of gaining some gold. [If you have alts - you can try the mission table in SL for a slow trickle of gold and mats to sell]
→ Check herbs and ores on your server if you want to go the farming route but that can be hard unless you know the best times to farm etc to avoid the druids and all them people eating up the herbs.

→ After you gain some gold, think about chipping away at fleshing out your professions. That for me once leveled [can be expensive] ~ has been ez gold for minimal effort

→ Think about watching some TSM videos by people like Penguinr2gt or Samadanplayswow

→ There is no magic formula so don’t try to take it all on at once, it’s a lot. Just chip away and once you get the hang of it all, it goes smoothly.

Edit: Setting up and learning TSM videos are on YT, I recommend Samadan but penguin is good too, Sam takes you through a TSM guide and gives you visual cues of what each thing does… it looks complicated at first but it’s pretty basic.

Look at it as a low skill floor for entry but as you learn more, you can go more ‘advanced’ with things in TSM.

3 Likes

The easiest way to sell things on the AH is to post them on the AH.

Is there another way to sell things on the AH that I’m not aware of?

7 Likes

Ok, so several things here…

First off, let’s address this:

People like yourself are the reason the AH is so screwed up. This is a TERRIBLE practice and people should stop that IMMEDIATELY. If you’re going to undercut, go big. 10-20% at minimum. Undercutting by a single silver is just wasting everyone’s time, including yours. Also, if you ARE undercutting, keep in mind you are just losing money.

Controlling a market is more preferable to just being “one of many” selling something. Buy EVERYTHING in that market to keep your overall cost low, then sell it at a higher price to reclaim your original cost and start making money off it. When people start undercutting you (they will), watch for the point where your items will stop making money and start buying again. Chances are, those items will come in a slow trickle, you can buy a small amount relatively cheap, and raise the price again. After a while, people will start posting toward your higher price because few people will have that item, and you’ll start selling more. I recommend items that people need, like the mats for feasts or herbs for the most used potions.

Yes, it is, and I don’t use it much as a result. Everyone says you need to program it, but no one tells you how that works or offers their programs.

Just farm if that’s what you are going to do. Find out where the items you want drop or are collected, and find a good path to collect them. There are websites all over that will give you ideas on this.

This is done with blind luck when someone screws up (or sometimes intentionally) and posts a much lower price than normal. I wouldn’t pin your gold goblining on this practice. Best you can do is just keep your eyes open and hope you get lucky.

Just sell it. See above about pricing, but I will add this: test the waters. If you have a bunch of something, post a stack and see what other people do. If they undercut you right away, post another stack at their price (yours will sell first), keep doing this until you hit a price people seem comfortable buying, that will likely be the price for a little bit until you can get better control of that particular market. once you can control that item, you can set a higher price and make more money from it.

I can’t answer the rest of the questions, but I know this about TSM: it will keep track of what you buy and sell.

It varies from server to server, so no, that’s not entirely possible to do.

Who knows. It’s been asked for many, many times, but Blizz has yet to give us a solid answer as to why or why not.

I’ll check these guys out myself. I’ve been pretty successful without TSM, but I know I’d do much better if I could get it worked out myself.

I’ve been doing most of my work on spreadsheets or by memory.

Edit: I’ll add this: if you can get your mission table going (preferably on several alts) you could sell veiled runes. I’ve made a good chunk of gold off these and still have enough for myself to use each week during raids.

3 Likes

Penguin and a few others I’ve seen do that as well because TSM has a hard time keeping up on prices of mats etc that people inflate [you can maybe get a better reading in TSM by weighting the averages of dbmarket against something else but not worth my brain power lol]

Overall a nice tool ~ I started in Legion and if I had the knowledge now but back then, I would of not undersold a g bank full of flasks and legion mats that a kind person gave me when they were quitting the game and ‘‘paying it forward’’ as they said. They helped me out a lot.

1 Like

Ok, just checked him out (This is what he goes by on YouTube, the “plays WOW” part is just his guild name) and I had to have my partner watch the video with me because my brain doesn’t work quite like he was explaining. My partner is pretty good at interpreting “normal” things to me :rofl:

It’s a pretty good video once it’s properly understood. Hopefully, other people seeing it won’t need another brain around to make sense of it.

I think I may have it worked out now? If I’m correct, I should be able to start using it instead of my other methods (who am I kidding, I’ll still use those :stuck_out_tongue:)

1 Like

Yeah he was samadanplayswow but got it changed after a time to just samadan as he started doing minecraft videos and such.

And for some it definitely will be confusing - a lot to take in but I feel he does a calm, nice way of just going through it. Thanks for posting it for anyone looking to get TSM info- and a guide of sorts.

I’ll do one better and post this:

I used this in the past to pull premade groups in the hopes of understanding them. I think I do NOW, but I didn’t in the past.

Also, this page is just a mishmash of other people’s groups, and it includes stuff from Classic (and TBC). You’ll likely have to dig a bit to find something useful for your particular situation.

1 Like

So I’m trying to use the addon. I bought an butt-ton of fishes that seemed to be at a very low price compared to their average value in the last days. I’m trying to sell them… But the addon doesn’t want to? It tells me that the “Maximum amount already posted.”. But when I set my max amount to 0 in the Operations tab, it doesn’t change it. When I set it to 50.000, it doesn’t change it either. I can’t seem to be able to post more than 5 at a time…

Edit: Nevermind I just forgot to replace the default operation in the group settings lol
But I swear earlier this problem legit happened

Sorry to jump in here after you already chose a path, and TSM is helpful for this too, but the easiest way to make gold on the AH is to sell/flip transmog.

Run through all the raids in the game on a certain class. Use TSM to keep track of which BOEs have value and which don’t. This will likely give you a good start. The idea is not to farm stuff to sell, but with no base, it’s a good way to start. List them on the AH with a TSM operation and wait. Have a cutoff for yourself whether it’s worth it or not. For me, anything under 1k gold get’s DE’d or vendored.

Use TSM to buy stuff people post way too low. Relist it higher. This is a slow method, but it’s where I’ve made most of my gold.

Selling commodities is fine too but since they split off profession stuff into Xpacs, meaning you can do SL stuff without leveling professions in other xpacs, that low level mat gold is partially dried up. I’ve prob make 600k over the years just on infinite dust alone. But the decline in player base, the prof changes and ICC being so heavily farmed has degraded that income immensely. Just one example.

If I buy the 40 medallions of the legion on the AH for 3k each and relist them for 20k each, that’s great. But do you have enough people that actually need the item to justified the repost? Fish is a decent place to start. Nightshade can work too. I find TSM sucks at posting stacks of commodities though. You can do it with Auctionator easy enough if it frustrates you.

Best piece of advice though is to just try…something. And go from there.

This is where you have to go change the operations.

Watch the video I posted and it should explain this. Provided you aren’t abnormal like me. :crazy_face:

I disagree. I tried this for a while. You end up spending a decent amount of coin just on reposting because people don’t often buy the transmogs. They really don’t move that fast.

Crafting mats, however, go fairly well and fast. The money is low, but the speed at which you sell these items and the volume are generally better overall.

Sure, you might sell transmogs, and for a pretty penny, but you won’t sell them fast, and you might end up reposting them quite a few times which is cutting into your profit.

Partially, but not entirely. I was actually moving a lot of BfA herbs a few months ago and I was making some decent coin off those (between 10 and 15G each). A sudden spike drove the price up to the 50s on almost all of them, and the volume of them on the AH went from 1000s to only a few dozen. Without farming them myself, flipping these herbs was out of the question.

I knew I was transferring servers soon anyway, so I was ok with clearing out my inventory before the move, not knowing how they would sell after the move.

1 Like

My point on trasmog, and I actually said it takes a while to sell, is that it’s basically zero effort. I might go a week without selling anything over 500g and then I wake up on Sun morning to one item selling for 78k. Posting commodities is fine, I do it too, but it’s just because my mindset is: if I don’t need it and it’s worth more than 20g (for non transmog items) I’m going to list it.

On the low level stuff, yes I agree there are things you can target. But my point about demand is still true. I sometimes think about resetting a cloth market, for example, and then I don’t as I’m thinking “Who is going to buy 5300 runecloth before someone farming DM undercuts me by 80%”.

It’s all relative, there’s no “wrong” way to do it. I was just sharing my way.

Sure, this is where watching the market is a thing. I feel like something as old as Runecloth is little more than a vendor item at this point.

Yeah, when I tried it, it didn’t feel “zero-effort” to me. I was hanging onto items for months and reposting them for several gold each time. I felt like I was losing money and was just better off ditching the whole endeavor for crafting mats instead.

I’ve been happier doing this and making a LOT more gold.

How have you been getting the mats and what are you targeting? I’m also on a RP connected realm so things are really abysmal here. 235 base items are still over 75k in some cases. I’d love another market to target.

I use the table, mostly, and what I sell depends on what is really selling. Not all meats and fish are really good to sell, but some of them are ok. Herbs I usually wait until I have a full stack and then just sell them at whatever the current price is. Basically, I’m just converting anima to herbs to gold on those.

As far as cloth goes, I usually convert those to bags with my tailor. Those seem to sell much better than raw cloth, and I can usually pick up more cloth in the AH if needed (usually don’t need to) when I’m ready to make more bags. I find the 30 slot ones sell faster. People don’t want to shell out for the higher-cost bags as often.

EDIT: I should add, though I MOSTLY use the table, I also watch the AH and buy mats when they go super low and repost them at a higher price.

1 Like

Yeah…this advice has caused WAY more issues with the AH than undercutting by 1 silver ever has. Yikes.

You’re literally the reason why the average player can’t make money off the AH because instead of undercutting we now have cancel scanning.

2 Likes

Pfft, how about no.

Constantly undercutting each other is the reason the “average player” can’t make any money.

Stop doing that, seriously. You’re screwing over the ENTIRE playerbase doing that.

Pick a price and stick with it. Me buying everything and reposting it at a SINGLE PRICE does this nicely.

False.
/10ch

Go the auction house, go to the Sell page, right click the item, glance at the current offers to make sure the prices didn’t suddenly collapse or are stupidly overpriced. (i.e. if you see the item going for 1g, 10g, 10.1g, 10.2g, 13928371g, the current rate is probably around 10g).

It defaults to the lowest price. 99% of the time, that’s adequate. Select “sell” and pile on. Your items now at the top of the list until someone decides to undercut you.

Leave it for 24 hours.

Do this for everything else.

Whatever comes back, do it again. If it still doesn’t sell, try again on Monday night/Tuesday morning (there’s a large surge of player activity when the week resets).

If it still doesn’t sell, if there’s still a large inventory of the stuff in the AH, even lower still, then you can give up and wait, or just vendor it. That means that item is stalled out. Simply nobody is buying it, or some bot in is undercutting your 10 herbs with their 10,000 herbs. Good luck fighting that.

And…that’s it.

Are you giving up potentially huge profits? Why yes, yes you are. But its simple, fast, and effective for commodity goods where selling it at all is far more profitable than vendoring it, so ANY sale is a good sale.

Doens’t work so much for BOE and rare items, but I don’t have to patience for that.

But cloth (Ha! Good luck with that), leather, ore and herbs, it works great. It’s easy, doesn’t need an add on at all.

1 Like