Easiest spec to start?

I’m rolling a lock and want to know the easiest spec to start and play.

Its subjective to the type of player you are.

Destruction has the simplest rotation but has the least mobility.

Demo is mid on complexity and mid on mobility.

Affliction has the most things to track in rotation but it is also the most mobile.

1 Like

My first suggestion would be for you to give a “test drive” on all 3 specs, see what clicks more with you.

Enjoying something will always make the learning experience of something easier.

I personally have a much better experience and understanding of Demonology than i have of Destruction even if destruction is considered the easier spec.

Try them all, but imo the easiest spec to play and learn is destro

Affliction has always been seen as the ‘levelling’ spec due to ease of play and efficiency.

2 Likes

Not recently.

Destro probably has the easiest rotation, however, Demo doesn’t have to swap out their pet (Felguard) to use interrupt as Desto (and Aff) do with VW and Felhunter.

As a long-time mage main, I like all three specs but found Destruction to make the most sense to me. Demonology is very fun and unique, and I really like it. Affliction is fine, but it feels very slow and less impactful even if it does decent damage over time.

I’d say destruction is the easiest to learn because it’s pretty straight forward. It’s not very mobile, but the mechanics are simple.

Build soul shard fragments with incinerate/conflag, keep immolate up, use chaos bolt/rain of fire to spend shards. That’s the main chunk of it anyway.

With demo you have to keep track of pet uptimes and can spend varying amounts of shards on hand of guldan, decide when to use implosion while maximizing imp uptime, etc.

Affliction has a lot of dots to track and you’ll want addons/weak auras to help with that.

1 Like

The one you choose now will have the honor of being the one you drop for the next one you think will fix your perceived deficiencies. And so on.

Ultimately, try em all out. They all have pluses and minuses. Affliction sounds like you’re going to need an ointment to cure it, but it makes for a nice pace and it’s comfortable as an old tee shirt after a short bit of playing it.