Early look at the most useful Class/Covenant combos

This is a list I have made by taking notes from the Covenant Survey in the Beta Forums (link below).

Things might change but these are currently the most common opinions between the testes regarding general Class/Covenant combos:

Demon Hunter - Venthyr
Death Knight - Night Fae
Druid - Night Fae/Venthyr
Hunter - Necro/Kyrian
Mage - Kyrian/Necro (for Arcane only)
Paladin - Night Fae
Priest - Kyrian(Disc/Holy)/Night Fae (Shadow)
Shaman - Kyrian
Rogue - Necro
Warlock - Necro
Warrior - Kyrian/Venthyr

Most of the Monk abilities are currently bugged so I am not listing them.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/covenants-and-your-spec-a-survey/616438/

While I’m glad to hear that something is going well for Arcane, I will be sticking with the Night Fae because I love the look!

1 Like

Best for what?

Lol I was going for venthyr on my DH because of Kaelthas. Now it’s the best one?

Nice.

1 Like

We need that same poll but done by spec instead of class. Class is too broad imo.

Well for Death Knights it’s (Night Fae) basically the best for Blood and Unholy in every situation. Can’t really beat a 15% strength and defensive bonus that can also add a 10% mastery bonus every time you cast it. Though if you’re frost Venthyr is viable but the other two are straight up hot garbage.

Blizzard really knows how to keep them within 1% of each other lmao.

1 Like

Abomination Limb is way better for PvP.

They can just walk out of the night fae ability.

Complete trash for any other content though. Soul binds are also garbage. You’re really going to gimp yourself for the content that blizzard cares the least about? The “It’s good for pvp” argument literally means nothing for most players. Might as well say it’s good for world questing.

Necrolords and Kyrian for DK are honestly just competing for who is the more trash covenant for the class.

I could see Abomb limb being good for caster packs in m+. Just move away and it’s free interrupts on everything for 8 seconds? (Sorry I don’t play DK I haven’t looked into the length of the ability or tested it at all) but that’s a pretty niche scenario.

The way I see it if you need that many death grips to int mobs your group hasn’t bound their kick and probably shouldn’t be running keys. Plus it’d be useless if the mobs are immune to Deathgrips like some casters currently are in BFA dungeons. It’s honestly sad the ability is so weak since the soul binds for the Necrolords are also really terrible.

Also when you look at the other abilities there really is no contest. For Frost the Venthyr ability gives them massive amounts of runic power on a 1 minute cooldown, You’re gonna have crazy long breaths in AoE fights with this ability and much longer sustained breaths in single target plus a teleport. DKs have no mobility so a 35yrd teleport is amazing.

The Night Fae’s Death Due is also basically mandatory for Unholy. All our AoE comes when we pop DND down and start bursting wounds, With Death’s Due not only do we get a strength bonus whenever we use it we also get a defensive bonus, and with the proper soulbinds 10% Mastery whenever we cast it. There is no choice here unless you want to severely hamper your throughput.

Not necessarily. There are packs in shrine that this ability would be pretty useful in. Also allows you to run a comp like demo/boomy.

This just highlights yet another problem with locking covenant abilities imo. Cool abilities that would see niche use if they were unlocked but instead will just never see the light of day lol

I was a little late in my extended reply but when there are clearly better choices in every situation, picking the niche ability so you can death grip some adds in one dungeon is just never going to be worth it.

I didn’t even get to talk about blood. But Necrolord is bad for them too. That shield the Necrolords give is completely useless compared to 15% damage reduction with basically 100% uptime or massive amounts of runic power on a 1 min CD. Not to mention there are better shields as soul bind options as well. The Venthyr have a 15% max health shield whenever you cast Door of Shadows. So you get a shield that’s only 5% worse than the Necrolords main general ability, on a 1 minute cooldown with a 1.5 second cast that doesn’t take chip damage.

Oh for sure there are better abilities. I’m just saying there could be these really niche scenarios to use it in. And if they were unlocked we wouldn’t even be having this conversation because it wouldn’t matter. It’s just be a neat little talent that occasionally had a niche use. But because they’re locked this ability will never see use

True, If this was something I could easily spec into I’d be happy. I honestly hate that I have to go either Venthyr or Night Fae with basically no choice unless I want to severely hold back the rest of my group. I am a little bit relieved that at least Blood and Unholy share good covenant choices. They’re my favorite specs to play so I’m willing to help the stupid fairies if I can play my favorite specs.

I feel bad for Arcane mages who like to dabble in Frost and Fire though. You got screwed big time.

They aren’t bugged, they’re just really, really bad.

1 Like

Did anyone else see that blue post and immediately think “It is a trick to get them to list the best so they can nerf them”?

Yes, and so did others I’ve spoken with.

And then immediately afterwards I thought, “I wonder if they’ll give this feedback the same credence they gave the Guardian Druid feedback.” (i.e. they’ll totally ignore it)

If they nerf the good ones and call it a day I bet every single person that wrote there would be absolutely disappointed and discouraged from ever giving feedback again.

Giggle snicker…

I don’t even think they can just nerf certain covenants because they’re super good for one class and not good for another because then it nerfs things for the entirety of other classes as well. Like if there is a really good Covenant for one class that is basically mandatory for them, but it’s also a good pick for another class but not overwhelmingly so are they going to nerf that entire Covenant just because one class synergizes that well with it? They’re gonna end up having to make exceptions for certain classes with certain soul binds and then the game is going to wind up a huge damn balancing mess.