Dungeons Used to Be Fun Before "Speedrun" Dungeon Queues

9 years ago would have been 2011.

This would have been later Wotlk or early cataclysm. Depending on when that 9 years is official.

1. In Wotlk when they first put in dungeon queues, it wasn’t long before everything was Zerg and speed runs. It has been in the game longer than you claim you last played. So something is amiss in your story.

2. that was not a fun play style and was slow for no other reason than to be slow. Now higher level 5 mans require speed but vast amounts more of preparedness, and clever use of all abilities on the fly as well as improvising should something go wrong. It’s a much more challenging and engaging play style than “Lets CC X, Square, and Triangle”.

3. The last time I truly remember using CC like that was early Burning Crusade Heroic 5 mans. Until we got tier 5 gear. Then it was speed runs for badges of justice.

1 Like

I dunno if you have played Classic at all, but if not, you will find what you want more there. Unfortunately, that old style of super slow play just isn’t fun for everyone. That said, even in classic its not that slow. Aside from spending a long time in BRD simply because of the sheer size, the game and its players are just faster now. People don’t suck, and have learned that even in vanilla, CCing everything wasn’t necessary either, we just sucked at the game so we had to.

1 Like

How is something amiss in my story?

I’m not saying that Dungeon Queues were introduced to the game after I left. I never said that, you assumed!

All I’m saying is that I miss the game the way it was before Dungeon Queues and I don’t like the dungeon system as it currently is.

Learn to read Joygi!

Well in Vanilla days you didn’t have YouTube / Wowhead / Google at the same level. the knowledge of the player base is far more than it was, the 2019 Vanilla showed us that.
Secondly, I am a Resto Druid and even I have to CC as much as I can in M+ atm or a tank will die. Roots are practically the only CC I don’t use because it breaks so easily. I even have to spec into Guardian Affinity + Bash for the Incapacitating Roar so I can help interrupt/stun.
Almost every dungeon i use, Incapacitating Roar, Vortex, Cyclone, Hibernate, Bash, Sooth at some point or another.
The issue i have in M+ right now is not enough people know how to use their full tool kits which leads to a lot of death. Or Tanks don’t know how other classes work/help. I have at least one tank run from an Enraged mob every other dungeon. like dude, I already soothed it.

1 Like

It’s not just a tank issue. I was tanking on my 60 Paladin non mythic yesterday and people were wanting me to “skip” parts of the dungeon all the time, not to mention the dps that start pulling the next group before the current group is dead.

I’m not against quicker runs. Sometimes though people running alts through are forgetting that it could be that tank, healer or dps first run or learning their class.

1 Like

You called it a new dungeon system. While I may have misinterpreted, you kept saying “new”.

This system was in while you still played. Yes the “speed run” dungeon system.

While you claim I should learn to read, maybe look at yourself and be more clear. A system in the game for over 10 years is not “new”. Yet you keep calling it new.

1 Like

watch the mythic+ invitational competition they host at blizzcon every year. groups that have perfected dungeon mechanics and class comps and are competing against a timer.

the game is old, the genre is older. speed is the trend now for dungeons.

i played vanilla way back in the day and remember the dungeons and how people dealt with them.

i think the main differences are that:

1. mobs took a lot longer to kill (not only in dungeons but in the open world as well)

2. dungeons were much larger and their layout more free-form (sunken temple, wailing caverns, BRD) as opposed to the new WoW - style linear pathways . newbs would get lost trying to find the boss.

3. there’s now no potential for oldschool wow style calamitous 10-mob wipe pulls. mob groups are spaced strategically apart (notice how in the open world it’s just enough so that their de-aggro range doesnt overlap with where other mob groups are standing) and it’s all 3 to maybe, rarely, 5 enemies per group. aggro ranges are smaller as well; combined with the linear setup of dungeons this means patrols don’t pose the same threat and reason for cautious progression.

if you want a challenge with dungeons, wait until you get to raids or mythic+. then it’s moreso movement mechanics, dodge timing and a lot of floor hazard type stuff that makes it challenging- as opposed to the vanilla style bosses being basically gear checks with infinite room for leeway if your tank and heals were solid.

at the upper end people take gaming a lot more seriously than they did in the past, and internet is faster- which encourages more nuanced play.

class discords are full of people using algorithmic websites to calculate potential dps values of various gear and talent combinations…the same resources didn’t exist for that back in the day.

This will be my final reply.

I am seriously thinking about quitting World of Warcraft (not that anyone cares). However, before I go, I just want to say, if and when Blizzard ever does “reset” WoW, I hope all you elistist Speed Run Dungeon Lovers get the afterlife you deserve.
-Peace-

TOTALLY agree.

Saying your final reply is like plugging your ears and walking away acting like you are the bigger person.

A bigger person would not have responded at all and moved on.

Also they did “reset” wow. Classic was the “reset” however, because how easy MMOs are it was still speed run. The only length for dungeons was due to how much health mobs had vs damage and how long the dungeons were.

There won’t be anymore MMOs like that, it is an ancient relic that will not be as enjoyed. Try playing DnD with friends (you can use online tools if you can’t meet in person). That should get you to the type of combat you want.

No one will miss you. And you’re right, no one cares.

1 Like

You can literally go play classic wow and get exactly what you are looking for, I already said it. And chances are TBC will be out along with fresh servers in the new year. The game you want exists, you just didn’t listen when I said it.

i first witnessed speedrunning in Heroic Slavepens.

I didn’t like it.

nowadays in wow there are 4 speeds:

• first time here for multiple people in group. checking map, finding the route. Basically the Normal clear.
  • casually pulling one group at a time with small 5-10sec breaks in between. Basically the “M0 clear”.
  • chain-pulling but not multi-group pulling unless super-trivial packs. your M2+ groups. Don’t know how high they go because I never play in groups of the next speed…
  • MDI pulls. half the instance snapped onto a pillar and aoe’d down pulls.

i’m personally ok with constantly pulling but not double-pulling. i like to do my quests in M+2 because the runs go fast and smooth.

Different doesn’t always imply worse or not fun and that’s your biggest assumption.

Yes, I HATE speed running dungeons, im the healer, what if the tank runs past pats and other mobs then they aggro on me or another class that has no armor? Sure I have my shield but that goes pop sooner or later…easy answer…we go squish…then the tank quits…yes…this has happened MULTIPLE TIMES!! i HATE speed running dungeons. What if it’s a new player? I guess there just hung out to dry…that’s screwed up…

December 2020

3 Likes

I bet they hate speedrunning forum posts, too.

That’s an example of a classic-style slow-pull forum response. 2 years between pulls.

2 Likes

You’re the minority.

Your job is to stay with the tank. Sounds like you failed.

If it’s happened multiple times you should probably stop and reflect on what you did wrong. Generally when the same thing happens to you multiple times, the common denominator is you. My guess is you didn’t stick with the tank, as I mentioned above.

They’ll learn early on that it’s more efficient to clear quickly. They’ll either learn as they go or they’ll stick to solo content until they have a better grasp of the game where they CAN learn to clear quickly.

Almost as screwed up as posting in a 2 year old thread.

1 Like

If a tank did this in m+ while someone’s cds are rolling, the next pack would surely be pulled by the hunter or frost mage. Not saying its right, just saying.

Missed it. XD