Dune by Frank Hebert

With the new Dune movie coming out soon, I thought I’d read the original Dune book by Frank Herbert. Is it any good?

Its very long but was considered one of the best science fiction books of all time. I read all of the books and a number of the books by his son but the original remains the best.

3 Likes

It is very good.

I hope the new movie is good as well. Dune is a difficult novel to translate to the big screen because a great deal of it is internal monologue, and you have to have sufficient backstory for certain plot elements to make sense but they are very rewarding when you do understand them.

2 Likes

The original move gave out a one page fine print cheat sheet to try to explain some of the back story / characters. Not sure how well you could follow the original movie IF you had not read the book.

1 Like

I read the original book and did not find it all that enjoyable. However it must be noted that he did rewrite the original book 13 times to improve it. I have not read it since the original was printed so I cannot say what was changed. It was imaginative, I will give it that.