Dual Tanking?

Impressive

You may also try starting with charge (in battle stance) to get your 15 rage, then demo shout, and swap to defensive stance.

You could set up some macros something like this:

# showtooltip Charge
/cast [stance:2/3]Battle Stance; Charge
#showtooltip Sunder Armor
/cast [stance:1/3]Defensive Stance; Sunder Armor

The first says, if in stance 2 or 3 (2: defensive, 3: berserker) cast Battle Stance, otherwise cast Charge.

The second says if in stance 1 or 3 (1: battle stance), case Defensive Stance. Otherwise, cast Sunder Armor.

I will say, not as criticism of dps, but constructively I hope: if dps will just wait about 3 secs for lower lvl to mid lvl tanks to build a bit of rage, I get a lot fewer runners.

How are you managing those runners?

I dual tank all the time. Don’t let people force you to 1:3:1

That the OG Death and Taxes crew or just a new incarnation using the name? I remember a lot of info about vanilla raiding coming from them back in the day. Interesting see who all classic has brought back.

At first I tried to chase. Generally a disaster.

Now I let party know I will stay on the mob(s) I have. If anyone brings a runner back, I taunt.

Is that good or bad technique?

Edit, add: in SM Lib and Arm I ask the dps to hold a tighter ring near where I will pull LOS. This allows me to Taunt much easier. Taunt has a pretty short radius.

I think it’s good. I mentioned this a bit in my guide, but in general, I think it’s best to prioritize your taunts for pulling off the healer, and you know if you leave a pack of 2-3 to run after a straggler, because some rogue is 25 yards away, 1v1ing it, then the healer is going to pull aggro, because well… they are healing (which generates a lot of threat).

The only issue with letting a DPS tank what it pulls and maybe die is that the healer may feel obliged to heal. That’s lack of experience by the healer. If you just let the dps die, or actually perform their role properly and run the mob they accidentally pulled aggro on to the tank, then you’ll have much less trouble maintaining high levels of threat on the mobs you’re tanking.

Another thing I see a lot of is ranged dps standing in melee range, which will pull higher threat than if they stand at their intended range.

Yes, great point. I have forgotten to tell dps don’t make the ring TOO tight. I will add that now. TY

It really doesn’t matter who tanks a caster since none of the tanks in Classic really have any damage mitigation against casters anyway. The biggest downside is that normally when all damage hits the tank the healer just has 1 target to focus on: by splitting the incoming damage it can result in more mana wasted on overhealing multiple targets.

That said, you mentioned SM Lib/Arm. Diviners are the only “real” (very little melee) casters and they like to mana burn so you often want to burn them pretty quickly (they’re squishy anyway). If you want to skull them and just let the DPS handle them them that’s probably fine.

Other thing to mention is there are a lot of healing mobs in SM so you may want to do some CC anyway, particularly if you’re in a low-damage group and not AoEing.

I think it (guild Death and Taxes) is OG but not me. Helpful group.

Anyone except maybe a clothie can maintank leveling dungeons as long as they can generate enough threat. People are weirdly obsessed with prot warriors, though.

Uhhh… it’s actually a really efficent way of questing too… 1h and shield is great for leveling.

I had a random shaman tank for graveyard the other day… went perfect.

Better experience than a lot of warrior tanks I’ve had

Shaman actually have threat building abilities. It’s not a dps trying to be a tank through damage alone.

I was referring mostly to level 60 tanking. Leveling up as tank spec is probably not bad.

Why do you need two tanks? I am a tank and handled maradon at 44 and ulda at 39 aoe no cc unless you count sleeping a basilik pet in ulda…

Since there is no DPS requirement in classic dungeons, if you don’t care about getting through as quickly as possible, 2 tanks is actually superior.

Or here me out… you could just learn how to tank all the targets…

Not saying you can’t dual tank, but why??? All your doing is stressing my mana pool for no reason…

Said no healer ever…

I just tank all of it. Don’t see the issue.

It’s superior. It’s just slow. If you had really hard dungeons and no time limit, the ideal group comp would be 2 healers and 3 tanks.