Druid travel form macro breaks after changing spec

Anyone know a better way to write this sloppy macro? It functions fine most of the time, but occasionally when changing spec it refuses to go into travel form and requires a relog to work again. I’m not sure if the “[swimming]” is what’s causing it, but it doesn’t appear to serve any purpose? Maybe I just forgot to remove it while experimenting.

It’s a pain trying to keep it short while factoring in combat, swimming, and character moving/idle

Edit: it may not be the [swimming] that causes it, I just remembered sometimes bear form refuses to work too, following a spec change.

/use [mod:ctrl]Barkskin;
/cast [mod:ctrl]Survival Instincts;[mod:shift]Berserk;[mod:shift]14;[nomod]Bear Form;
/cancelform [mod:alt]
/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[mod:alt,nocombat]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0)end;
/use [mod:alt][swimming]Travel Form

There’s a lot going on in this macro. From what I can tell, you have it set for various things:
Control = Barkskin + Survival Instincts + Berserk + (Trinket 2)
Nothing = Bear Form
Alt = Cancel Form, but also Travel Form, or if you’re swimming
And every single time you press said macro, (when pressing Alt and when not in combat) you’re summoning a random favourite mount?

Just a heads up, but a glaring thing I spot here is that you’re basically trying to use your Slot 14 by casting it. I believe you could technically change that line to /use and it might fix that. However… I may have some bad news, because you’d definitely go over the character limit with this macro.

The spell book is actually a little bit misleading. If you have your text cursor in the Macro, and you shift+click the spell, it should normally just print the spell in. However, with all shapeshift forms (such as Bear and Travel form), they actually look like this:
/cast Bear Form(Shapeshift)
/cast Cat Form(Shapeshift)
/cast Travel Form(Shapeshift)
/cast Treant Form(Shapeshift)
/cast Stag Form(Shapeshift)
etc.

That is to say, you’re technically (for some reason) casting “nothing”. It’s a little weird, but it’s a recent change in BFA. There’s a few other spells like that as well (I think some talents and the Artifact Abilities were like that?), so you’ll want to keep an eye out for that. That said, though, adding (Shapeshift) to the end of each macro would pretty much put you over the character limit, which kind of sucks. You may need to redesign the macro to fit better and split it up more. I’ve heard of addons that can go past the 255 character limit, but I don’t know 100% if there are limits or rules to what they can do because I personally have never used them.

Yeah that’s about right, ctrl for defensives, shift for offensives, nomod bearform, and random favourite mount when not moving w/ travel form when in combat/moving/mounted. It works surprisingly well for how messy it looks, perhaps the “/cast … 14” was breaking the second half of the macro following spec changes for whatever reason. Good catch. I’ll change it to this and try it out for a while, if it keeps breaking then yeah I might have to split it into two separate macros:

/use [mod:ctrl]Barkskin;
/use [mod:ctrl]Survival Instincts;
/use [mod:shift]Berserk;[nomod]Bear Form;
/use [mod:shift]14;
/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[mod:alt,nocombat]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0)end;
/use [mod:alt]Travel Form

too bad there’s no room for #showtooltip, it’s exactly 255! I wish the character limit was slightly bigger and that there were more macro slots, it’s a pain in the butt creating macros for druids, there’s not even any [spec:X] or [form:X] in there. Interesting, having to add (shapeshift) to all the forms would just plain suck; I’ll have to keep that in mind should I run into problems later on. Hopefully I don’t. ><

Thanks for the feedback!

You can tighten it up a bit, and depending on the reason for the /cancelform (which you don’t need to do prior to mounting) you may be able to remove it as well.

#showtooltip
/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[mod:alt]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0)end
/use [mod:ctrl]Barkskin;[mod:shift]Berserk;[mod:alt]Travel Form(Shapeshift);Bear Form
/use [mod:ctrl]Survival Instincts;[mod:shift]14

Confused why you’ve set it up to pop all your Bear defensives at the same time.

These are my Druid macros if you want them for reference. Similar setup but more granular control than what you’re using.

1 Like

Thanks, I’ll bookmark that macros page.

That looks much neater, and could possibly fix the issue after switching specs. Only minor gripe is that it displays the ‘you are in combat’ warning when using [alt] in combat, and ‘you are in shapeshift form’ if using [alt] while in cat or bear. It works just fine, but the old macro didn’t give any red text, and adding “/script UIErrorsFrame:Clear();” doesn’t seem to work(even if it did, we’re kinda strapped for space.) I think [nomod] for bear was to stop it from shifting into bear instead of travel form, and /cancelform may have ended up in there to remedy all the error messages.

I pair up barkskin and survival instincts because the latter isn’t usable while stunned - which happens often - so usually barkskin is on cooldown by the time I go to use survival instincts afterwards. Old habit, it’s been there for a long time.

I rearranged it a bit, this seems to be working good without error messages, time will tell if changing spec will break it or not. Not sure if bear form needs the “(shapeshift)”, but removing the #showtooltip should give just enough room. Does it look like there’s anything that could be improved?

#showtooltip
/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[mod:alt,nocombat]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0)end
/use [mod:ctrl]Barkskin;[mod:shift]Berserk;[mod:alt]Travel Form(Shapeshift);Bear Form

1 Like

Looks solid.

Awesome, thanks a bunch!

bear form stopped working upon changing spec, but travel worked fine. Upon adding the (shapeshift) to bear it worked fine also, so that was the cause.

So the end result was:

/run if SecureCmdOptionParse"[mod:alt,nocombat]"then C_MountJournal.SummonByID(0)end
/use [mod:ctrl]Barkskin;[mod:shift]Berserk;[mod:alt]Travel Form(Shapeshift);Bear Form(shapeshift)

1 Like