Druid: Feral Combat Potential

The forums have made it clear that FC 46/5 Druids cannot tank like a prot warrior or dps like a rogue (which is fine) however I have a few questions for you private server players about their potential.

1.) Can they Dungeon tank well? As in better than a Fury warrior with a shield?
2.) Can they WPVP well? I seem to remember they were beasts.
3.) Can they Dungeon heal reasonably well with healing gear? I’ve seen this claim, which seems dubious.
4.) I know cat form dps isn’t optimal, but how bad are we talking? Half a rogue?
5.) It seems like a good casual class for someone not looking to raid but to finish all other content. Sound about right?

Almost. Points 1-4 are all about on par, though they do a bit more then half the damage of a rogue (closer to 70% in similar blue gear I would say). I say almost because you can roll druid and still clear all content, it’s not a bench only class.

But if you’re only looking at really doing casual content, Druid is the best. You can heal any 5man as feral w/ resto gear. I would suggest rolling a feral spec that has the tanking stats and kitty stats. This will let you obviously tank any 5 man and OT in 10mans too, or go kitty and do some respectable damage for the group.

2 Likes

there are several videos on youtube which show feral druids can do raid content but you play druid you shouldn’t think of yourself of only being able to fill one role but rather several. One such spec “heart of the wild” you can ot and heal and this is the one I plan on playing with

2 Likes

That’s better-than-expected news, thank you!

1 Like

Druids are better tanks than warriors first two raids… accept for the bosses that fear…

They drop off in AQ 40 where warriors are slightly better.

Druids are 100% viable raid tanks… and arguably better off-tanks than warriors are, since their rage generation is not as dependent from being hit.

Feral dps is decent… you’ll be pulling around the same as a hunter. Top Tier “meme spec”

Feral Tank Strengths:

1. They build more threat than a prot warrior
  2. Have higher health
  3. Have higher armor
  4. Easier to gear

Feral Tank Weaknesses:

1. Less mitigation than a warrior
  2. Unlucky misses on pulls can be annoying
  3. Less cooldowns
3 Likes

Healing is funny as a Druid too. Your top spells will actually be Ranks 3-5 of Healing Touch. You should almost never use Regrowth as it’s a high cost heal that has a lot of overhealing for being a 21 second HoT. Rejuv is good for low cost and instant heal but usually just chain casting super cheap Healing Touches is the way to go.

1 Like

You absolutely should not think of being able to do multiple roles, because you cant.

The 0/30/21 spec makes the druid an even worse tank that if they specced solely to tank, even worse dps than if they specced solely to dps and an even worse healer than if they specced solely to heal.

There is no raid situation where a player is needed to be specced even worse than pure resto or moonglow for heals in the event that they may need to tank an add in the next fight with a spec that is worse than feral normally tanks (ie, no omen of clarity)

Any raid will have 5-6 fury warriors and if 1 of them puts on a shield, they are a better tank than a bear without omen of clarity and they arent running a half*** tank/half*** healer build to do it.

Do your raid a favor, spec tank/dps (at least that shares omen of clarity) or spec heals. Speccing tank/heals is absolute garbage for both (its a pvp spec), because omen of clarity is mandatory.

2 Likes

Ya this spec isn’t one I would recommend. Something more like 13/33/5.

3 Likes
  1. Yes, but not better than a fury warrior with a shield. FuryProt becomes an endgame tank spec when you get enough crit.
  2. Yes, if you’re good.
  3. Sure if everyone else in your group isn’t pulling like crazy.
  4. Cat form is good if you’re good. Example: The MCP mace from gnomer increases your attack speed by 50% for 30 seconds. It has 3 charges. Good feral druids would farm these maces and keep a bunch in their bags for raids, because wep damage doesn’t matter to them and these were way better than any stat stick in the game. Good players find out things like this. The class is not friendly to bad players.
  5. It’s a fine class for casual play, but you are never going to get the full druid experience unless you play it properly, which very VERY few people do.

Hope this helps.

2 Likes

If a guild wants to run a druid ot in a raid that is their choice, but in vanilla/classic a warrior will always be the best choice for tanking. Leveling, pvp, dungeons druids are fine for tanking, healing, dps, but in raiding healing and some feral dps is pretty much it.

2 Likes

I think casual druids are for everyone!

As many people have said before me, I think raiding as a druid, especially as DPS, is for people who like to study and research their class and do not mind working harder than everyone else. If you can do that though, you can be a monster in PvP and stay middle of the pack in DPS in PvE, which is going to surprise people.

A lot of people think feral DPS is awful but they do not realize that with MCP, Wolfshead helm, and power shifting you can get pretty high on the DPS list!

2 Likes

I druid off tanked in classic. It worked out really well. I could take a crazy amount of damage, pull threat easily and was not a drain on the healers. Gear was very important. An understanding that I was not there of any other purpose but to hold aggro on various mobs was important. The main tank and I worked very well as a team.

2 Likes

Yeah, because the mobs aren’t 63 elites like they are in raids. The issues a Feral tank suffers is mostly an issue in raids where they’ll be getting crushed and crit by the bosses and trash mobs.

Imagine a Fury Warrior tanking (not wearing tank gear). That’s what it’s like for a Feral druid. It’s hell for healers.

Sort of. Druid really requires hybrid play to be effective in world PvP, especially if you’re solo.

You don’t just sit in Cat Form all the time. You need to make use of almost all of your spells, including the non-form ones.

Yes. Most of your ability to heal stems from your gear.

The biggest things you’ll lack as Feral are:

Improved Healing Touch for the reduced cast time.
Reflection for extra Mp5.
Moonglow and Tranquil Spirit for reduced mana costs.

You can still heal with Rejuvenation and Regrowth almost as efficiently, but your Healing Touches will be much slower and more expensive. This is slightly made up for with Heart of the Wild.

If you are well geared and min/maxing to the fullest extent, maybe 60-80% depending on what Phase we’re in.

Early on, the gear available for Feral is pretty weak and you’ll struggle. Once BWL and AQ40 come out, you’ll have a lot more gear suited to Feral and the gap closes a bit.

Yes.

1 Like

Druids collect herbs. That’s all folks. A nice alt.

:woman_facepalming:

Pservers are completely different from the actual classic servers. Maybe you should consider rephrasing your question and direct it towards the druids that have played the closed classic beta instead?

1 Like

0/30/21 spec is perfectly fine for tanking/healing 5mans or offtanking/healing non-progression raids. However, your dps will suffer without Omen of clarity.

If you want to further specialize into raid tanking/dps, you’ll need some combination of 11/31/7 (with 2 points to choose) is your best bet. 0/30/21 just doesn’t quite cut it for raid dps or progression.

1 Like

OP said 46/5. Either you actually don’t know what that means or you’re doing some good trolling.

Either way, thanks for the laugh.

True that, there is a video of a tank tanking Rend only taking 300+ damage while on Pservers they are taking 1000+ in similar gear. No telling how off they are for raids.

I am use to seeing things such as 7/31/5 as an example, so to simply say 46/5 is confusing, as it should be listed as 0/46/5 if that is what they meant.

46/5 was something I saw a friend talking about in game. I assumed he knew what he was talking about, but this thread and Icy Veins has been informative - looking at the talent trees, I can’t see why he’s not putting 11 points into balance. I’ll be using a 11/35/5 build.

1 Like