Drinking adds nothing to the game

Drinking in arena adds nothing to the game.

Well it adds the incentive for dampening by setting up drinks and what not. All things both the playerbase and Blizzard has said is not desired.

Blizzard make the meta bursty jumping through hoops of all kinds but then allows drinking which is counter productive to their other measures.

The only thing i could think it adds is adding a skill cap of teams that setup drinks better than others, do we really want to reward that? there are plenty of non sensical things the could reward but it doesnt mean its a good idea for the game.

2 Likes

Well this is NOT the thread I thought it was going to be

Get back in the car Carlo Rossi, its lame here

8 Likes

these forums are at an all time low

8 Likes

It adds mana to my bar, wtf u mean?

7 Likes

objective plays that discourage defensive escaping/turtling make the game more fun imo

3s games that crosskill into a 2v2 are almost always more interesting than actual 2v2 games for the(imo) explicit reason that threatening to rez forces people to play the game more

drinking good, at worst necessary evil to make players stop doing horrible anti-gameplay things to make the W slightly more likely

1 Like

Considering there are a lot of comps whose entire win condition is damp and the ease with which their healer can get drinks I’d have to disagree with you.

There is also a major skill cap on behalf of healers who know how to drink early and often. Bad healers generally wait until they’re oom to get drinks. Good healers like Kubzy and drainer know how to sneak drinks even if they’re @ 90% mana because that all adds up.

I hardly think a team clearing a path and knowing how to be defensive and protect there healer for a moment to allow the drink to happen is bad for the game. On the contrary, actually.

The terrible threads won’t stop until they force people to post on their main

1 Like

Thats cause the game is dead.

2 Likes

yes, you are right. What arena needs is more dampening and mana drinking. Whats what all pvpers play arena for. Setting up drinks and drink

Dampening can still happen, just make it happen faster and with no drinking so we reach endgame faster.

Do people love setting up drinks or why are they defending damp drink games?

I think they could remove drinking from arena and it wouldn’t make it worse. If anything, the games would just end sooner

Yes, some people do. Some people enjoy damper slower paced games where they get to actually play the game for a little while, believe it or not.

There are also healers who go oom way faster than other healers. You remove drinking form the equation and those healers are at a massive disadvantage.

Not to throw any shade at you man, but this post is the most 1300 take of all time. Wouldn’t be much of a stretch to assume you’ve never played the game at even a moderately relevant level if you think “drinking shouldn’t be in the game.”

Stealth drinking is a bit toxic (@druids)… And I think an issue with drinking is that, since damage is underwhelming across the board outside of CDs, it’s pretty hard to punish a healer going for a drink right now a lot of the time… Just another problem that would be solved by upping base ability damages and pulling from CDs :confused:

This is a joke right?

You’re a mage. You have no bar.

if you play this game sober you’re playing it wrong

2 Likes

lol. no doubt.
saw the title and got excited
almost spilled muh beer

talk about bait. lol :crazy_face:

dont be condescending, I stream so i rather post from an alt account, sorry it disturbs you. I play spriest/lock plenty so i am well aware that some teams are oriented towards dampening. Also, i understand some healers are at a disadvantage (my 2 main healers are rshaman and disc priest so i have experienced both ends of the spectrum). My post doesnt come from lack of understanding of the current meta of the game but from wanting it changed.

With that out of the way, i will try to explain again cause it seems the point didnt come across.

Healer balance around mana consumption is already in the game and playing a part. If neither healer can get a drink, no problem the game doesnt break it just ends rewarding the efficient healing/consistant damage one team was able to perform. Drinking is not an essential or required aspect of the game.

The part that doesnt play well with the rest of the game are incentives around setting up drinks. Unless its a design goal to have longer games, it doesnt make sense. Could even make damp happen faster if you want damp to be a thing.
Blizzard says it wants fast game this time around, makes the game bursty and then allows and rewards drinking.
You cant have inconsistent design goals in a game cause you end up with a meta thats not what you want.

tl;dr:

1. Disallow drinking,
  2. See how the healer meta plays out,
  3. Tune healer mana regen accordingly
  4. 100% guaranteed you have shorter games,
    profit!

I hate the drinking mechanic in arena personally. Losing because you ran out of resources just seems kind of dumb to me and at the same time every AWC game is like “oh he has the mana lead big advantage” and it turns out to mean nothing in the end and whoever topped off is also oom at the same time as the other healer who had 25% mana and both heal for another 5 minutes while oom anyway.

I agree drinking should now be a defensive cooldown… Anytime you drink you turn to a liquid and can’t be touched for 45 seconds… Must be out of combat to use, 0 sec cd.

I don’t play mage