Dratnos' Big Shadowlands Fear

Ok, tell me how this actually benefits me as a casual non-CE player.

All I see is a system than Preach and Dratnos and other middle to CE players don’t like, and doesn’t really give me any reason to care about it to the point I’d defend it.

It certainly doesn’t look fun to play with in the way that Pathfinder or D&D 3rd Edition have fun character building that gives you a lot of toys to play around with even if you aren’t in the top tier of tabletop RPG players.

What exactly is the point in this post? We get it, you’re a “casual” who does next to no endgame content. The people who do care about how the game functions.

3 Likes

From a RP and Story stand point,

SL Spoilers

it does make sense that we have to side with a covenant since they are at war with one another. Swapping willy nilly being difficult also makes sense since you have to rebuild your relationship with the covenant.

However, depending on the events of the first patch and it’s story narrative, the covenants might not be at war with one another after Castle Nathria and we discover that they were holding all the Anima. At that point, yeah, the covenant restrictions should be relaxed.

Who the hell is method?

That doesn’t answer my question. Why not make it a permanent choice but only a cosmetic difference?

How does that mean anything to gameplay? If you queue into a BG it’ll still be [optimal covenant for PvP] Horde players vs [same covenant] Alliance players.

1 Like

If you play PVP DK without picking death grip covenant, you’re trolling your partner.

I mean, because Blizzard isn’t designing them to be this way. They are also not likely to change the current system within the first patch. This is why I added my opinion on how it’s likely they will loosen the restrictions in the next content patch. It’s unrealistic to expect them to redesign the current covenant system in the same way it was unrealistic for folks to expect them to change Azerite Armor.

Well it doesn’t make sense that as Azeroth denizens we’d chose a side to begin with. Gameplay wise though, Blizzard designed the covenants to be standoffish and essentially require you be loyal to them in the similar way of choosing between Horde and Alliance.

We don’t get to choose the Night Elf racial for Horde characters and we don’t get to choose the Blood Elf racial for Alliance. This is for Story purposes to add flavor to the gameplay and narrative.

So this would be a good solution if Blizzard had the time?

I think they have the time. The game is in Alpha. They could easily select one set of mechanics from among the four currently available, and junk the other three. They can still use all the artwork for all four.

This is another thing that bothers me. What if correct roleplay is that my character wouldn’t want to get involved? Should I just unsubscribe for the expansion? It seems like poor game design to encourage people to unsubscribe.

Trust me, a lot of RPers have an issue with this lol.

Absolutely. I’m not a fan of borrowed power. I’m more stating the case on information presented.

Eh I think it’s a long shot due to how far covenants are already designed. Definitely encourage y’all give feedback, just don’t get your hopes up essentially.

1 Like

Normally do but alas some of us get unexpected moments in life that take priority. Raided quite a bit back in the day and was hoping to get back into it but that isn’t my point. The point is this change has the potential to let others ASIDE from them a chance to play. Why should people suffer exactly for liking a class spec combo that isn’t the current flavor of the month? If a game needs more choice than by that logic it should give those who play the non metas opportunities to show they’re worth their salt be they in a guild or not. I’ve seen friends who are amazing at how they play get declined because it wasn’t on the Method list of approval or going far back, a streamer’s list of approval because apparently if you can’t use a spec to cheese fights, then apparently the spec is garbage and the player’s opinion somehow doesn’t matter.

I just wanna see other players get a shot whether they’re a druid,a mage other than fire,shaman,monk healer,priests as a whole or warlocks [given they’ve been getting the shaft all expansion :-/] A game can’t thrive only letting just a small bit of players get their day in the sun in terms of progression or in this case “Getting gud”. Class/spec combo choices are a good thing,min-maxing and treating the game like a second job,not so much.

If they made them freely swappable, everyone would win.

I’m a casual rp player - and I lose nothing by others having the ability to change things up when they switch roles, specs, or content.

I also gain nothing for the covenants being restricted.

I also still have the ability to make an “rp” choice and remain loyal to my first choice in a completely fluid/ flexible system.

Everyone, outside of the sadists, wins.

4 Likes

5 million players can have a problem with some content, and nothing will be done, in fact blizz will probably double down on it. method has a problem…there will be some changes.

2 Likes

Absolutely this,

The sadists are trying to wrap this up as a 1% raiders vs the rest of the population argument which is simply not the fact. This is a group of people who are trying to enjoy making a percentage of the playerbase miserable.

4 Likes

I play with nothing but casual rp players.

We don’t have an issue with covenants being freely swappable.

To go further - some of the people I play with don’t like xmog or flying. So they don’t use those features, while at the same time not wanting those features removed - because they know other people use and value those features.

My guild would rather 19man it than pick up 1 pug lmao

Agreed with the above. It’s not about being elitist or always having bis - although for some people being able to optimize their group IS fun.

But for many of us, having player agency and being able to continue making strategic choices throughout an expansion is what makes the game fun.

Being stuck and restricted to one covenant is the opposite of fun.

Considering it’s a partnership of sorts that honestly wouldn’t surprise me. Blizzard only cares about one thing…their bottom line. Customer satisfaction isn’t even on their list of priorities unless it’s costing them dearly.

People don’t care about RPG elements anymore.
They just want to be efficient and have good numbers.
It is not something that seems bad to me.

But these decisions are important.
As in real life. If you choose to be a doctor, I doubt that you have the time to be an engineer.

Wanting to be the BEST and the FIRST in everything seems absurd to me and this is the kind of mindset that is slowly killing the game.

Honestly?
I want more things like these.
Professions don’t matter anymore. Reputations no longer matter.

Why?
For the same that I say above.

People were “forced” to use a certain profession when they didn’t like it just to have better numbers.

What is the solution ?
Kill the differences. That everything regardless of colors or shapes do the same and have the same results.

Or … Blizzard once and for all breaks addons like Skada, Recount, Details, etc.

2 Likes

Nailed it.