Drakonid/Dragonspawn Are Hilariously Problematic, and It Didn't Have To Be This Way

Look,i’m not about to have this weird argument with you like you had with others. I really don’t care to be honest i dont even have an opinion in the matter.
Just wanted to talk on it literally no reason to be rude.

2 Likes

Bro all I’m doing is replying, how am I being rude?

If you don’t have an opinion on this matter then…ok?

You’re the one who just tried to “get” me with this semantics schtick, then the moment I push back you’re accusing me of being the rude one?

I literally said that I understand your personal tastes and opinions are different from mine, and said that was “perfectly fine”.

Maybe you just read the first paragraph, ignored the rest and started typing? That seems to keep happening in this thread.

But come on, dude: you’re the one who suddenly turned this into something rude out of nowhere by intentionally misframing my words in the above post. I didn’t even reply to that in a rude way. I know you know the difference between the words “many people” and “people”. I don’t think I’m being rude by pointing this out.

If you want to address my points we can have a friendly conversation about this, since, once again, I respect your personal tastes and opinions.

But, since you have no opinion on this matter, bye I guess?

Oh, Story Forum. Never stop being you.

3 Likes

I said “most people THAT”
THAT being the keyword, refering to a certain group of people.

Not “most people”…
Most people THAT

Uhhh? I don’t know what I’m supposed to say here that you won’t consider rude.

Come on, dude. You said you were done. Just let it go.

The text to speech on my phone messed up.
Regardless, there’s nothing to let go, I’m just not going to talk to you going forward.

So then it was an honest misunderstanding based on an error on your phone. No harm, no foul. I just wish you had re-read what you wrote rather than…do all of this over it.

If you don’t want to talk anymore then…again…bye? Clearly, this isn’t fun for you.

Funny how if they had made Drakonoid a player race instead of dracthyr they could have properly covered this story line rather introducing a whole separate race that needed a whole new back story to be covered. Rather than having to split focus between both groups.

Honestly such a waste of development time.

6 Likes

Omg this is such a good point, dude. At the very least, if they weaved Dracthyr more into the larger dragonspawn story, and made them a part of it, this could have been explored in a deeper way without distracting from the main story.

Blizzard has done a bad job on ethical issues in their stories more often than not. One of the main reasons for that is they play fast and loose with right and wrong/good vs evil. When they make commentary on a social or moral issue, it’s usually milquetoast non-committal (like the issue of the dracthyr/drakonid) or preachy and shallow (their obsessive stance on humanism).

And don’t get me started on the political virtue-signalling. I can already see them removing all nuance from the Scarlet Brotherhood to make them a flat stand-in of QAnon or whoever the news cycle’s current bogeyman is.

1 Like

You sum it up so well.

They’re constantly TRYING to be political (and again this isn’t a bad thing in itself) but they do so in a toothless, spineless way.

Like I said before, you can’t have it both ways. Stop addressing these issues if you can’t tell a compelling, passionate story about them.

1 Like

They also have to do a better job of showing both sides for an argument rather that only presenting one politically biased view as the right one. this idea that all conflict is simply stopped because jaina randomly changed her mind again about the horde or Sylvanas got part of her soul back or terroists are forgiven or they simply stopped because Alex might consider their point of view is stupid… They got to stop with this peace happy love times story telling as it doesn’t fit the setting.

4 Likes

Alright, now that I can finally post again, I have a lot to say.

This wasn’t just in the RPG. This was from an old tweet by Sean Copeland.

https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Archive_lore_tweets_from_loreology

July 10, 2014 – “@Loreology Dragonmen = Drakonids? To create dragonmen without Nefarian’s influence possible?” “Metzen has ruled that they are separate races from the dragon race. They became dragonspawn and drakonid thanks to the dragons they served (via intentional alteration or via “unintended side effect of hanging out with dragons”).”

Now, as we now know from the tweets I linked several times now, many of which are from Copeland’s wife, Blizz has no internal canon that they need to follow. Writers just do whatever they want.

Now, the issues with Dragonkin themselves, I agree with pretty much everything you said. This topic has discussed ad nauseum here. Idk what else to add, other than that Blizz has never handled slavery well.

For example, I recently learned about this quest.

And in Storm Peaks, they make you put down a slave rebellion and think nothing of it. It’s disgusting honestly.

I mean, maybe they’ve learned a little since then, but not much.

So, that’s what I wanted to say.

P.S. The people here complaining about politics are not worth a single second of anyone’s time, trust me.

2 Likes

I’m still side eying the vulpera recruitment quest where you union bust the peons (who are treated terribly) and prop up a company shill.

Not enough to not do it, obviously, but my adorable fox warrior came with a Grave Moral Cost.

4 Likes

I think Bobby wrote that one.

4 Likes

I was WONDERING why you were liking but not responding! Glad to finally see “meet” you haha.

Sorry for the delayed responses. I’ve been busy with editing work (and Baldur’s Gate 3 dear God that game is so good).

While I’m here, I should note that these “fantasy shouldnt be political” comments are even funnier after playing that game. Even ****ing Faerun has incredibly intriguing cultural, social, and political issues that tie into the player’s experience in fascinating ways. And yet it still manages to be a charming high fantasy world full of magic and wonder. Almost like this is a basic standard for a fictional universe.

None of this is controversial or even particularly hard to understand. These topics are a valid, and at times essential, aspect of a fantasy world, and we should be free to judge them like any other aspect of the writing.

3 Likes

That might have been a company message to the creatives who were trying to unionize.

1 Like

Necroing this because it’s an interesting conversation

Try and stop me.

3 Likes

Don’t think I will :rofl:

1 Like

In the world of Golarion, there’s an ancient gold dragon that is actively trying to breed a better type of Human on the island of Hermea in the city called Promise.

His agents canvas the world looking for volounteers that might prove good breeding stock. There’s just this document you need to sign.

It’s a perfect place to live… No one who’s gone has ever wanted to leave.

And as far of those rumors of burnt corpses washing up on neighboring shores?.. Just rumors… really. After all Gold Dragons are… GOOD.

1 Like