Dragonriding, so fun I want to smash my keyboard

Wait that is possible? I have only done them one at a time. I was almost at the end of Beta before I realized what they were even.

Yes, you can collect all the glyphs in every zone and fill the entire tree from top to bottom all on day one. It just takes some time. About an hour and a half for me.

4 Likes

The concept of glide path is not hard wired into everyones brains, much like raid mechanics take time to pick up, this will take time to pick up. That said, a lot of people don’t raid because the mechanics are too difficult. I know people who can’t possibly play DCS because they have no perception of spatial orientation in VR, in the cockpit of a fighter jet, at high speeds/high angles of attack. Some things just do not work out well for some people.

In this case, WoW has a lot of older players, and a lot of players with disabilities that will prevent them from even being able to utilize this mode of transportation, essentially gating them from being able to play it.

17 Likes

“Traditional Flying” - so fun, I want to smash my keyboard, if I don’t pass out from boredom first.

5 Likes

We tried to warn you all, but people like me just got accused of being conspiracy theorists and “Haters who just don’t like anything”.

The facade was gonna last maybe a week, tops. Then everyone will be wishing we had old flying.

14 Likes

Yes and no. Video games are something that everyone enjoys of all ages. Could Blizzard go with cutting edge? Yes, they could, legally. However that is also bad for business given how widespread the hobby is. A lot of us have issues, esp as we age.

There is a good case to be made for making the majority of a game accessably and friendly for as wide a range of people as possible. That adding color blind options, spell lighting/flash adjustments, motion sickness adjustments, controller use, UI modifcations, text to speech, closed captions, etc are all GOOD.

There reaches a point though where you can’t make everything fit everyone in all instances. Trying is good though and if some X percent of the game is accessible that is good.

There are now motion sickness settings in game I think.

1 Like

What are you talking about?
WoW is an 18 year old game.

Mechanics are going to change. That’s inevitable.
Certain mechanics are going to become easier, which will anger people and make them claim that WoW is being casualized.
Certain mechanics are going to become more difficult/complicated.

Both situations will anger people because humans tend to not like change.

You either let the game evolve or watch it die.

9 Likes

It’s called you need more upgrades like this is gaming 101

2 Likes

I’m good at it, and it will be less terrible with all the talents. However I’d really prefer normal flying still, especially for constant mount and unmount short distance flying. It’s really clunky in tight spaces as well.

It’s fun for the races and over long distances, but for regular gameplay/questing, it’s just a headache for no reason.

13 Likes

I, um, leveled fishing instead? Heh. It is all about priorities I guess. Now that I know I can look it up and work on learning how to do the flight skill tree.

Tip on fishing to trade:

Level it fishing in the lava pools. It does not take long and gives you:

• Salt you need for cooking
  • Lava beetles you need for cooking
  • Rare fire crafting mats
  • Rare fish
  • Coal
  • A LOT of grey vendor junk so have a vendor mount

Leveling fishing first while getting the salt and beetles is really really helpful. Those give you a bunch of early cooking points and generate mats you need later.

12 Likes

Yes and no. Video games are something that everyone enjoys of all ages. Could Blizzard go with cutting edge? Yes, they could, legally. However that is also bad for business given how widespread the hobby is. A lot of us have issues, esp as we age.
There is a good case to be made for making the majority of a game accessably and friendly for as wide a range of people as possible. That adding color blind options, spell lighting/flash adjustments, motion sickness adjustments, controller use, UI modifcations, text to speech, closed captions, etc are all GOOD.
There reaches a point though where you can’t make everything fit everyone in all instances. Trying is good though and if some X percent of the game is accessible that is good.

Oh, don’t get me wrong. Everyone should be able to enjoy WoW. I’m not arguing that Blizz shouldn’t strive to make that possible in all aspects of the game.

I am, however, saying that this shouldn’t be a major factor when designing mechanics like Dragon Flight. Keeping disabilities in mind while initially designing a mechanic like this would limit far too much. It’s up to the person with the disability, their hardware, and the accessibility development team to ensure that all aspects of the game can be played by people with disabilities.

WoW also has the unique instance of allowing very, very in-depth addons. These could also be leveraged to allow for further accessibility on the community’s side of things.

Once you start developing games worrying about if a disability will make it hard to deal with certain mechanics before that mechanic can be realized, you end up with a far worse experience than if you just designed the game first and then worked on the accessibility features.

9 Likes

It definitely helps having max vigor regen since then you don’t need to scrimp and save every vigor just to gain a bit of height.

1 Like

There’s an old phrase that most people have forgotten when it comes to gaming and I’m going to be the person that says it. Just have to Git gud. :3

3 Likes

you mean airswimming?

2 Likes

It is much faster, and better than normal flying once you get the hang of it.

1 Like

doubt it. dragonriding is something i have wanted in the game since bc. i originally wanted it tied to regular flying but this is a compromise im willing to make since i still get the thing i wanted for what 16 years. in a week everyones going to be loving it even more. its a old but a classic “git gud”

3 Likes

So mechanics that some find fun should be prioritized over attempting to retain players. Those players of some unknown number should be considered expendable, especially if they are disabled or have difficulties that you knew they were going to have with this mechanic, but who needs them? Who cares about getting a reputation for being a videogame company that doesn’t want disabled players and goes out of its way to inconvenience them, when you’re sure they can get drugs from their doctor to make them normal like you, right?

It’s up to the person in a wheelchair to bring along attendants to carry them up stairs when the owner of the business decided to break the law by not having a ramp they could get up, right? Hey, who needs them anyway?

5 Likes

I doubt players would leave over this and if they do well sorry to see you go. When normal flying comes back you can come back during that time.

2 Likes

Who said I was normal?
Don’t assume things.

I’m typing this as I try to fight off a low because my T:Slim X2 misdelivered a large dose of insulin while trying to prevent a spike in my blood glucose levels because the Control IQ system is a lunk of junk.

I don’t understand why you are pushing this narrative when it’s clear that they would. Normal flying is not just coming back. If it does come back, mastering dragonriding will no doubt be a requirement. Probably placement on the dragon races ladder will be required. And since flying through hoops placed outside of my visual range at a high rate of speed is not fun at all, it’s just a good reason not to buy the expansion.

10 Likes