Dragonriding isn't flying

On the contrary dragon flying is the only real flying and not levitating.

It’s like saying that birds don’t really fly because they use things like momentum and wind and have to occasionally land in order to rest.

The flying we had before where a full plate wearing knight can just hop on some gryphon and just chill in the air hovering for hours without the mount ever getting tired was the one that was NOT real flying . Was unrealistic both in aerodynamics and deviled all gravity and physic laws.

Dragon flying is what flying should be in general from the get go and I hope they keep it going forwards as the most effective form of flying

8 Likes

I just flew across two zones at like 900% speed without touching down once. :dracthyr_hehe_animated:

1 Like

Could’ve fooled me. I can stay in the air indefinitely if I wanted to

Jumped off Valdrakken and got to my campaign quest on the far side of the Ohn’ahran plains in like 10 seconds lol.

1 Like

Blizzard needs to enable dragon riding for ALL dragon mounts while in the Dragon Isles.

Devs, be cool for once.

6 Likes

you’re all wrong, it’s meant to combat the farming bots, and no, at the basic level you didn’t fly for 6 days without touching down, relax hero, we all have the same system, we know how it works.

I feel like most of these responses are quite semantic, and I admire the commitment to accuracy. But the point I was trying to make is that I think a lot of people are disliking dragonriding because they are trying to use it like the traditional flying mount. It is not, it something else and needs to be used and thought of differently. Maybe that could help some people get over feeling like it is just an inferior mount.

2 Likes

It largely doesn’t do this once you get all the talents, except for the rare moment when you’re letting vigor regenerate in which case the landscape is generally designed so that staying on the ground doesn’t actually work.

So you just sit there for 90 seconds waiting for your vigor to come back.

This was an issue I ran into. After spending so much time in the beta with dragonriding, regular flying feels slow, dull, and unfulfilling. You can even get a taste for it by dying on the Dragon Isles since it gives you a regular flying mount in death, and it’s agonizingly slow to get anywhere.

2 Likes

Exactly.

After Dragonriding, regular flying feels like swimming through molasses.

3 Likes

Just want to say thank you for that. I hadn’t quite realized, it just didn’t click in my head and this did it for me. Still need to get angles right, and figure out the best view for me (first person or third person) to manage the navigation but this was a great help.

2 Likes

Hmm, but you can totally do this with max dragonriding

With a max tree you’re getting around by flying. So how is it not or was not meant to be flying?

Its falling with style?

A rocket isnt really flying its just meant to put you in outer space.

Its F-Zero-GX on a mount. Its something i wanted for along time in the game. Hopefully we can make it go even faster later on :slight_smile:

Blizzard didn’t fail to listen.

Not everyone is going to be happy.

3 Likes

At which point orbiting is just perpetually falling and constantly missing the planet.

And often in less than half the time it takes for flight path to get the same distance

1 Like

I’d say dragonriding is what flying should have been from the start. Pseudo realistic physics based flying.

You’re correct that the mindset has to be different to appreciate it. I’ve found myself doing some moves learned in flight school.

For example, how you plan an approach not necessarily straight on but sometimes going around. Or actually flying away from target to gain altitude then turn and approach.
Purposefully stalling to reduce airspeed.
Recon by circling a point on the ground.
Surveying an area at low speed low altitude.

It’s unfortunate that the realism included the motion sickness. Then there are things pilots do to help with that. It helps to focus your sight on a more stationary point.

2 Likes