Dragonflight Talents don't Look Good

Why would I?

We already had a Tree system and, as I already said, there was ZERO depth to it.

You’re not wrong-- it DOESN’T HAVE to be that way THIS TIME.

But why would I think that? Blizzard has given me nothing to allow them such a level of trust and assurance. All I ever see is jumbled up garkk made with ONE intention in mind: time logged.

The Blizzard of 20+ years ago? Without a doubt, I would be DROOLING at these new Trees. The current Blizzard? My first 10 thoughts are all: this will be terrible.

Kotick may be making money, but he has ABSOLUTELY lost the confidence of the gaming community. The Blizzard name means NOTHING to what it once did. And that is a very sad thing.

And we will have a built in system that allows players to make and save builds in a deterministic way. Thats one very clever and useful idea and shows they are recognising that a need like that exists.

1 Like

Fair enough. In my opinion, the talent trees they have been showing are better than any iteration of talents since at least mop.

The time played metrics and bobby kotick stuff I don’t really have anything to say about, because it is irrelevant to me. I play if I am having fun, if I’m not having fun then I don’t. I’ve been leveling on TBC classic. I don’t even play retail anymore outside of callings which I use to pay for my sub.

1 Like

And I personally dont get the referencing to time played metrics in relation to talent trees. The whole idea is that as your character grows and levels it gets more options. It actually a very nice way of growing your abilities in a natural, almost organic way. Id much rather have that (and it was one of my favorite aspects of vanilla/classic character development) than just getting an object and wearing it or using some totally illogical and mostly disconnected added power system.

Works for me, templates are always a thing or BiS.
Trees are better IMO.

Talent wise, it is best they tackle immediately in testing to see what works and what doesn’t to the closest degree.

1 Like

It’s not a direct correlation.

It’s that: you keep destroying EVERY other element of game design in the name of time-played.

So when you show me the new Trees, it doesn’t matter if it doesn’t relate to time-played, it’s that I just don’t trust you to make anything good.

I didn’t think I would see someone advocate for borrowed power. I can finally rest…

Look, the same rule applies now that applied in MoP – if you don’t like it? Quit. Vote with your wallet.

1 Like

If you dont trust the devs to make the game good/fun etc, I have to wonder why you still play it? And dont get me wrong, Im not one of those ‘leave if you don’t like it’ types, but if you feel they cant make a good game, why play on?

Me personally, I’ve quit any number of games because I thought they were badly done. My financial noggin wont let me continue to pay for bad entertainment. But WoW provides me with enough fun that I can continue to earn gold and play using that. It sort of evens out for me.

No way, this new talent system looks amazing!

I’ve answered this, quite a number of times. So before I do it again, give it a try.

Can you truly think of NO REASON people would play, even when they’re frustrated with the state of the game?

Well, when you say " I just don’t trust you to make anything good" that presumes you dont think there is anything good in the game to play. Not an unreasonable assumption imo.

You’re missing the point. You simply reiterated why someone wouldn’t play.

My question was: why would someone still play if they were frustrated about the state of the game.

Nothing amazing besides being unnecessarily complicated with fake choices.

1 Like

Advocate for borrowed power?

You clearly don’t even know what I was talking about…

DF class/spec balance will be worse than ever for sure, because of the new talent trees.

Yup that I know.

It is the exactly the same principle as old talent trees. It is a “path” system.

As I said already, the current talent form/shape is great, it is a system of 7 rows of 3 “independent” abilities. In theory, if all abilities are “interesting/competitive”, we have 3x3x3x3x3x3x3=2187 possible combinations.

DF tree shape is a 10 rows of 1-3 “dependent” abilities. In order to get a certain talent, you need to follow a “path” which has probably only 2-3 variations.

And you need to take some talents you don’t like, just to get the talent you like, because lower rows are “dependent” on previous rows. It is a much more rigid systems with less real choice.

Yeah talent tree’s are done awfully, it’s all the illusion of choice. Giving me abilities that were once passive to my class and calling it new is not very original.

It is very likely to be DF only.

Cough Cough Path of Exile Talent tree.