Dragonflight Talents don't Look Good

I haven’t looked into em much yet as they haven’t previewed any classes that i’m really excited about. I’ll be happy to wait and see how they turn out when beta rolls around or whatever.

1 Like

K cool. Fine. I’ll play. You dont have to.

Just out of curiosity OP

If this thread gets closed down like your thread about the old items form the store being brought back as part of a Amazon Prime deal .

What will your next outrage topic be ?

2 Likes

The issue I have with the new iteration of the old talents is every talent is linked to another talent. There’s not as much freedom as there is in the old trees. It’s like they took the conduit UI and rebranded it talent trees. Having said that, this is not a Dragonflight-specific feature. It’s evergreen and will continue forward.

1 Like

I’d probably agree with this. There are a couple of things I took that I wasn’t terribly interested in to get at something I wanted. All said though, there were enough points to get everything I really wanted even with the couple of ehs.

2 Likes

Have you seen the old talent trees ?

This is what talent trees originally looked like.

Looks like every talent is linked to another talent to me

Edit : Soulbinds/Conduits are basically a redesign of old talent trees as were the Artifact Weapon trees / Netherlight Crucible Trees and the Azerite Gear/Essence trees.

Only difference is we now like you said get an evergreen system

Oh hey the another post by Becki the level 10. Better take this seriously.

2 Likes

The talent tree didn’t fail because it was bloated. It failed because Blizzard was afraid if things weren’t made horribly simple and gamechanging as far as a talent point went then players couldn’t properly appreciate it. Them being passives primarily also led to a weird circumstance where you can’t really envision how good a talent might be unless you intricately know the class, or have experience with the talent to understand when you don’t have it. 5% crit is obviously good, but how do you know 5% parry is good for a melee dps even if you’re soloing in the world? What about a move you can only use after you parry? Players unfamiliar with the game don’t know those sorts of things and as such are afraid to experiment and will just take whatever they’re told to take. Leading to the pointlessness of a choice driven system when everyone takes the same choices because there’s always a mathematically superior option.

Another thing is a lot of the old talents in the trees were meant to solve things that were problems for a different time in the game and just kind of were useless. A lot of utility talents like lower cooldown on sprint lost their value when players started to get their mounts earlier. A lot of solo talents allowing you to keep chain pulling to quest faster became rendered useless when you could just queue for a dungeon, afk until the queue pops and outpace questing experience rates.

The huge shift from that kind of stuff is why they changed the talents in Cataclysm to be pretty much all strictly direct combat bonuses which then led to them feeling more cookie cutter than ever because the talents were so blatantly obvious as to what was good.

Not to mention Cataclysm also killed the one saving grace of the old talent tree by instituting a rule that you must fully commit to the same tree beginning at 10 all the way until 70 or 71 and only then may you allocate points into other trees. So for a lot of classes who thrived on taking things from multiple trees it really cut into their ability to play. Mutilate being unable to take preparation once more killed the spec in Cataclysm from a PvP perspective and forced subtlety because a cooldown reset on vanish is too good to not have. The only reason the spec was viable in Wrath was because it finally had access to preparation and the removal of the back positional requirement to mutilate was mostly icing on the cake.

2 Likes

What? I never made a thread about store item.

Dangit… I didn’t look at the name. This is the addons need to be banned person, isn’t it?

2 Likes

Since Beta isn’t out I haven’t had a chance to try the new talent trees yet.

To be fair on that, most of the linked talents you are showing are buffs or additions to the previous ability so it would make logical sense to link them. What’s the point in buffing Tree of Life if the player has not unlocked Tree of Life yet? Hence why it’s linked to having tree of life learned before you start investing points to buff an ability you do not have.

Leader of the Pack is the same way in Feral. If anything the talents it’s linked to mostly just scream “HEY, THIS IS IMPORTANT TO TAKE!”, why any feral wouldn’t take LOTP is beyond me, even more so when it’s responsible for leading to other important talents like Mangle (I think? not sure on icons).

So you weren’t the one going on and on about it not being fair because people can get prime for free by doing stuff like constantly making new emails and telling someone that the $300 they spent on past expansions is not the same as the $30 you spent years ago on the items .

Uh huh

1 Like

Not really. The new tree has lines connecting every talent. For example in Balance on that old tree, I see 6 connected talents, and 19 talents that are free choices with the exception of “spend x points before this row how you see fit”.

To break it down more, in the new Druid class tree (the left tree), you have a feral path, a restoration path, and a balance path within that tree. If you start down feral, the only way you can boost a restoration ability in row six is to start back up at row one and start the path again.

On the restoration side, you have a left path and a right path. If you go down left, the only way to get something on the right path further down is to start over at row one again. All I’m saying is the new trees look like they provide a lot more choice than they actually do.

Fyi I still think this is wayyyy better than what we currently have, I just still think the old trees feel less “pathy”

yepppppppppppppppppppppp. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Explains why they never replied to me… probably have me on ignore after that thread. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

My solution to talent tree bloat is simply this: cosmetic glyphs…

they’ve stated they add new talents and abilities because the old ones eventually get stale, simplest solution? Add an ever expanding catalogue of ways to change how the old fixed talents function and look without adding or removing new talents. It also works because unlike borrowed power systems glyphs are not obligatory… they are optional.

THat was the prime outrage thread if I am correct ?

Or like I mention earlier something like ESo’s Champion system

1 Like

Also, DF talent trees are more complicated than we ever had. They are 2 trees of 10 rows.

In order to make every points “interesting”, they had to reduce our baseline abilities and put them into “talents”.

So it is an exchange of “less baseline abilities” for “more talent choices”.

??? What are you talking about???