(BETA) Dragonflight Priest Talent Tree Feedback Thread

I know bro cause your one of the buff pws people. I get that. But in SL i thought we were getting PoM back and we didint. I was unhappy we didnt and now we are. I have heard some rumblings that some spriests are happy that they can do some off heals. So we will see how that ends up. If pom drops shadow out of Sform then it wont be used.

I agree shadow needs some work tho. But buffing pws is not the way i see it going and i really dont tink blizz will do it.

Its 3s silence is a DR category.

Not really, I’m fine with pw:shield being what it is for disc, but if it stays like it is right now, its kinda meaningless for both holy and shadow.

My point is, instead of adding a new spell that might not see use for disc/shadow, why not empower a spell that has been baseline for a while and is mostly useless for 2 specs out of 3.

I’m not against PoM coming to disc, but I already have a lot of stuff on my action bars. I feel like the options on the right side of the tree are a lot better, even if I don’t pick SFP. Again, it’s all a matter of number tuning. We’ll see. But I still find the left section to be trash for shadow.

I feel that the priest tree is great for holy (edit: minus for crystalline reflection), the choices seems to be really meaningful for that spec and will likely be picked depending on content. Disc and shadow are kinda left behind though, which points to a problem.

Is the pw:shield solution better? It could better fit the 3 specs. If you add the empowerment that being shielded gives (See other talents in spec trees) and other goodies, it could become an interesting choice vs the fiend tree. Have like fae guardians be implemented with multiple talents in there for example and have a way to increase dmg done so that it’s not a complete no-brainer for shadow to pick the right side…

This is another reason why I was trying to come up with “Word” interaction mechanic talents for the class tree in my post above.

Either effect directly to Power Word: Shield or you can have that or other word spells or have multiple talents that affect a variety of word spells.

The idea is to reward cross play between spells that normally you would think is a waste of a GCD.

Problem is balancing… or is it?

My ideas that Mind Blast effects a Word spell means that it can’t be abused spam.

But a Word spell effecting a Word spell can. That’s why I put in a stack limit as to make it a bit more random so it’s helpful but you can’t abuse it that easily.

Since shadow uses SW:P & SW:D, can’t buff those too much because we already have shadow specific talents buffing those.

I am sure the same can be said for the Holy Words for Holy and the Power Words for Discipline.

But the key thing is that they all use “Word” spells that are just begging to be class talents for… to me it just makes sense as it’s a no brainer lol.

Echoing Void needs to collapse on corpses.

2 Likes

Here’s my feedback of the General Tree from a Holy Priest perspective:

Top Rows:

• Purify Disease should be a baseline class ability. It’s already a mandatory talent pick because you need it to unlock Body & Soul and Angelic Feather. You can simply just move Body & Soul up to where it is.
  • Holy can take Shadow Mend: how exactly is this going to work? Will it replace Flash Heal like with Discipline Priests? Also, isn’t it a bit o.p. for PvP because you’ll have two spell schools to kick for Holy to stop them from healing.
  • Improved Smite should not be a talent. You literally do 50% less damage as Holy or Disc without it and I’m sure Disc would be unhappy about doing less Atonement healing.
  • Says Your Prayers needs to be buffed (extra PoM charges would better) and should branch off of Benediction instead of Renewed Faith.
  • I don’t think Enlightenment should be a talent.
  • Power Infusion should be a baseline class ability imho.
  • Twist of Fate seems overpowered if it increases your healing by +20%. This means that at end of boss fights Holy Priests will ramp up healing a lot.
  • Taming the Shadows is a useless talent.

Middle Rows:

• Holy Nova is a garbage AOE ability and needs massive buffs. I would much rather have access to Mind Sear than Holy Nova.
  • Leap of Faith, Mass Dispel, Mind Control, and Shackle Undead should be baseline class abilities and not talent picks. They’re literally class defining abilities and you’ll be forced to pick these talents depending on what scenario you have to use them on.
  • Cleric’s Armaments and Tools of the Cloth need to be removed and replaced with something else. An extra +10% smite/holy nova damage while under PWS is so laughably bad.
  • Clear Mind needs to be buffed a lot to like 50-60% mana reduction to be a worthwhile pick.
  • Dominant Mind is one of those abilities that sounds fun on paper, but in practice it’s pretty useless. The mind control only lasts 30 seconds and if you’re in M+ you want to kill the trash: not take one mob away you have to then kill 30s later.
  • Improved Shadowfiend should be replaced with Puppet Master instead.
  • Twins of the Sun Priestess is a nice addition. I approve.
  • Throes of Pain sounds like it’ll be incredibly broken because getting 10% of your mana back every time a mob dies with your SWP is effectively infinite mana…

Bottom Rows:

• My #1 complaint in the entire tree is summed up with Unwavering Will. It’s a near 100% mandatory pick for any Holy Priest as you effectively do 20% less healing and damage if you don’t take that talent.
  • Blessing of Renewal is really bad. +5% renew healing and mana cost reduced by 10%? That’s it? It should be like +15% and 20% to actually be impactful. Or replace it with something else.
  • Holy Word: Life is a terrible ability. Consider swapping it with Boon of the Ascended instead.
  • Charitable Soul/Lights inspiration/Crystalline Reflection are utterly useless talents for Holy.
  • Translucent Image should be moved further up in the tree IMHO. It should also be like a -10/20% damage reduction as Holy Priests lack damage mitigation.
  • Tithe Evasion is probably the single most meme talent in the entire tree. It’s extremely rare a shadow priest SWDs themselves to death. Replace it with something else…
  • Mindbender - Does this replace Shadowfiend is my question? Also, with a 1 minute cd it’ll be really strong for mana return.
  • Shadowflame Prism - I’m curious how much extra damage this is going to do.

Either way the TLDR of my major sticking points:

• Baseline the following class abilities and remove them as talents: Power Infusion, Leap of Faith, Mind Control, Mass Dispel, and Purify Disease.
  • Remove or replace Unwavering Will. You literally do -20% less healing if you don’t take it.
  • Work on the middle and bottom rows the most.
3 Likes

Problem is Atonement doesn’t play well with PoM. Unless renew or PoM apply some level of atonement, you can’t cast it during your ramp, and you can’t cast it during your burst.

Even if renewed faith affects it, Disc priests are already doing such insane healing in that window that they’re overhealing, so 10% literally doesn’t mean anything for that window.

And in dungeons, keeping a renew AND atonement rolling on people is going to quickly get tiring. One of those, “hey cool, this works and my atonement feels pretty good!” that becomes “This is so annoying how can I NOT play like this?” in a few dungeons.

What it would be is a spell you use off CD between your ramps to keep some HPS rolling. Benediction PoM is very good at that, to be fair. But that’s realistically its only possibly strong use and it’s hard to say if that’s good enough to justify the points. There’s gonna be a lot of mathing this out eventually. But chances are it’s not gonna get favor over other talents.

2 Likes

I feel like a lot of your ‘this should be a baseline class ability’ or ‘this shouldn’t be a talent’ feedback is just not considering what the new talent trees are. Every class has this “problem” because it’s how the talents were designed. Tier 1 talents and some Tier 2 talents are about unlocking what were normally had before - talents are both your level progression and borrowed power. Any things you would have gained passively during leveling have been relocated to the talent tree for every class. That’s why imp. smite is there, it’s why purify disease is there, etc.

I’m actually VERY surprised Blizz put something as powerful as Benediction in T1 and I have some thought that it’s going to change.

This seems to be absolutely deliberate, so I don’t think they’re going to change any of it.
I agree with almost everything else here, though.

Also to add on - I think the more confusing talents that exist right now are ones like Tithe Evasion - talents that you can grab without ever taking the spell it modifies. I think most classes have these SOMEWHERE in their trees, and priests have it a couple times but it feels very strange that they would ever make talents like this. These almost feel like oversights.

2 Likes

They’ve said that it’s possible to have “bad” builds. Like the old days before mop.

I was thinking that instead of Lightwell, maybe they should make the end talent the Fae Guardians from the Night Fae covenant. Rename it to something more inline with Holy. Then shielding an ally is relevant.

2 Likes

There’s a difference to me between ‘bad build’ and ‘actively harming yourself’

Bad Build:
Wow these things you took have no synergy. This talent does way less for you because you took another one. Why are you increasing your PW:S if you’re not even using it? etc, etc.

That is what pre-MOP bad builds were. In classic, TBC and even WOTLK you couldn’t just take talents that weren’t relevant at all to you. You could take talents that buffed spells you never used, but you still had the spell, etc. I didn’t play a ton of Cata, so maybe it’s different there.

Actively harming yourself:
You literally don’t have this spell, but you can shove 2 points into something that increases its damage, sure!

Old talent trees - if a talent had a dependency on another, then it would be attached to that talent in a linear line (similar to the Shadow Covenant line in Disc, for example). They didn’t just shove things in completely different parts of the tree.

1 Like

I didnt say i was going to be that creeative bro. I was drunk when posting last night haha But i will def find the gcd for PoM. I already have my tree picked out and linked it and its all right side of priest tree. im just saying some genius in keys may think of something. Raids no

I already thought about using renew in keys. Renewed faith would be rather nice. But I did immediately write it off because using 2 globals that don’t help that much otherwise for your buffed heals sounds like a way to quickly get mad at my own playstyle. At least when you’re shadowmending you’re refreshing duration on your atonements. Renew is just… not gonna feel good to keep up when we already do that with atonement.

As someone who doesn’t play priests, or m+, this is my haphazard attempt at creating a build

Tongue in cheek… but… steal the holy ability back in the day of refreshing renew… Shadowmend refreshes renew duration

I know that any of the current pick one nodes are only two options but I REALLY would have liked to see one at the end of the priest tree with four options where you could only pick one and they were the four different covenant abilities. Different ones have different uses and it would be useful switching it up based on the content that you were doing. I’m really not loving that the only one they kept was mind games.

I also feel that there are a few talents that could have been consolidated such as cosmic ripple and piety of mana - that is 4 points (although I’m not sure that cosmic ripple is supposed to be 2 or if that was an error when it got posted), either way it would have been nicer to have them combined and cost two.

1 Like

The worst thing about the current build is that you have to lose damage to get core defensive abilities. Why not move all those utility talents over to the Priest tree and swap with all the shadow damage picks. As it is I’m not picking silence, dispersion, psychic horror or vampiric embrace in favour of picking more damage talents.

The shadow tree overall is a mess, things linked that have no gameplay connection at all while more logical connections are on the other side of the tree (or even the base priest tree instead).

Shadowflame prism should not be a 100% lock for the spec (by being alone on the base priest tree it certainly is). SFP for me at least is a massive pain to play with, you overcap insanity and can’t do anything else during the shadowfiend duration, on live it’s actually better to keep void bolt on cd just to spam mb’s and sw:d’s more. SFP should be somewhere on the bottom left of the shadow tree.

Just delete StM already, if it somehow is viable it will just get nerfed again.

Void Torrent seems a little outdated, especially if SFP is going to be a permanent feature it just seems out of place (the damage is also pretty lackluster), maybe change the cd to 45sec and combine it’s effects with Damnation + increase the damage of the channel. It would make it a great opener cast again, because at the moment I’m not sure it beats out getting the SFP rotation going earlier.

There’s just way too much crap in the last tier of the tree, with the idol’s being obvious things to want to go for, you aren’t even left enough points to get halfway to the other side. I feel like you should be able to get the powerful talent and then explore towards the other side a bit (but obviously not have enough to get both sides powerful options). In the 3rd tier pretty much all of the talents other than the idols look god awful, either boring or not powerful.

Reworking the trees:
All non damaging abilities (self shields, silence, dispersion, vampiric embrace…etc) should be on the base priest tree, while all shadow damage talents should be on the Shadow tree.

Shadow Tree
First tier should be about aoe choice, move psychic link and shadow crash up here. Void Eruption should be the last talent to link to the next tier.

Second Tier left side could be more based on apparations and shadowfiend, the shadowfiend talents should go where shadowcrash is. The middle is about mind blast, shadow word: death and void bolt. Right side should be more dots and channel based.

Third tier should continue the trend from the second. The idols need changing around with Yogg-Saron swapped for N’zoth. SFP should lead into the left idol, Void Torrent leads into the right and Mindgames the bottom center.

Base Tree
Removing all the mandatory shadow damage picks opens up the tree for some interesting choices, I won’t go through every tier but Dispersion and Vamp Embrace should be the final options at the bottom right rows.

Overall this looks like a very very early draft and I’m at least glad its out there early to get this kind of feedback because it definitely needs it.

3 Likes

I’m actually happy to see damage talents in the priest tree. Healers need those. I look forward to SFP as disc.

I’d be more interrested to remove healing habilities from the priest tree and have holy dmg or self buffs that even a shadow priest might want to pick… Right now the left side has a bit of both but is more focussed on healing. Which makes it less interresting for both shadow and disc in my book.

2 Likes

Actually this one seem awesome considered you can mixt it with Twist of faith to boost its healing even more.

Also it give an additionnal Holy word for Holy to proc Resonant word. If it would also proc Cosmic ripple and Divine word now it would make it even nicer tough.

But overall the healing you can do is insane to save a tank from dying Just by using Holy Word Life + Serenity.

I think it would also be nice if Disc had a Talent to turn Pw:S into AoE shield so it would fix the Atonement problem a bit. Cause the main issue is Radiance the only AoE Atonement proc they have and its 60% its duration. What disc Need is a regulard AoE atonement proc and a duration buff like the old PvP talent. Not a 2 sec or a 6sec every 3min

1 Like

Here’s my feedback of the Holy Priest Tree:

Top Rows:

• Heal - The first pick… and honestly my question here is how is it going to work this coming expansion? The problem with Heal is that without Flash Concentration reducing its cast time and giving it a massive healing buff… nobody uses it. It’s cast time is too slow as HPS matters more than HPM.
  • Prayer of Healing - This ability has been dead all of Shadowlands simply due to its massive HPM cost and lower HPS compared to Flash Concentration Heal. Also, there’s really not enough talents that prop it up like Heal and Flash Heal. Surge of Light offering free PoH casts would probably help a bit.
  • Really nothing to point out. It’s mainly filler as you pick your baseline class abilities.

Middle Rows:

• I like that you can take Benediction as well as Divine Star/Halo.
  • Halo - I’m hoping this ability gets a buff because it’s cooldown is too long and it doesn’t do a lot of healing. Divine Star is a 15s cooldown and does more overall healing as long as you heal 6-8 targets with it. Divine Star is also pretty much a mandatory pick for M+ because it does a lot of damage and also heals your group for free.
  • Binding Heal - Why…? Nobody will take this talent. Change it to Binding Heals like on retail.
  • Surge of Light - Have it give free Prayer of Healing casts as well.
  • Prayer Circle - This gets to my PoH question on the top row.
  • Holy Conductor - This just sounds broken on paper. You can basically get a 20% chance to trigger Surge of Light which will be almost non-stop in a raid environment with Benediction floating around. It’ll also give you a strong reason to keep Renew up on the tanks to fish for free procs.
  • Divine Hymn & Symbol of Hope = I don’t like that these are talents you need to pick. If you want to go a damage oriented build for M+ than you can’t take Divine Hymn. Also, Symbol of Hope is pretty much mandatory Priest raid utility… I’m in the mindset that raid and M+ critical class abilities shouldn’t be “optional” talents.
  • Cosmic Ripple should be 1 point not 2.

Bottom Rows:

• Piety of Mana seems a tad bit overkill on-top of all the other mana gains you can get from the general priest tree. You can get +10% mana return from enlightment, shadowfiend/mindbender mana return, 10% mana back from targets dying with SWP, mana from Symbol of Hope, and now an extra 9-12% mana a minute from Piety.

I really do not like just stuffing healers with tons of passive + active mana gains because the scenario of healers eventually reaching infinite mana may become in reach. Mana costs would have to be massively increased for healing abilities and/or the raid encounters would have to batter the raid hard.

This basically punishes any Priest player for not stacking 3-4 different mana gain abilities. It’s just a bad design imho.

• Gales of Song - Is this an extra +2/4% bonus on-top of Divine Hymns current 4% bonus or does Divine Hymn simply not provide the bonus unless you take this talent? An extra +40% healing bonus to the group is just… yeah.
  • Rune of Healing, Rune of Mending, and Rune of Fire should probably be it’s own combined talent that branches off of Light of the Naaru. Apotheosis can then branch off the Rune talent.
  • Lightwell - Nobody except Manbeard was asking for this ability to come back and just from reading the description… it looks incredibly weak. It only heals targets below 50% health and cannot be moved after its placed. I would never take this talent.
  • Divine Words - I’m curious what the bonuses will be. I do think 15s is too short though to make it interesting.
  • Burning Vehemence - Is this cast time / cooldown reduction on-top of the current ability? If so nothing really to complain about.
  • Searing Light - I’d like to see Mastery provide an actual bonus to healers damage like with tanks. Right now Holy Priests are punished for stacking high amounts of mastery… Also, a +30% Holy Nova buff against one target with Holy Fire just doesn’t makes sense… but it would with my suggestion below…
  • Empyreal Blaze sounds incredibly overpowered in PvP. You can open up with a Holy Fire + use ability + smash them for 3 more Holy Fires? You and your 2s partner can probably nuke somebody in a single chastise stun. Personally I’d rather see this ability make Holy Fire apply its DoT to all targets around it each time you cast. You can then probably Holy Nova and if its actually buffed it might do decent amount of damage.

Either way…

Final Thoughts:

• I struggle to make a raid heal build that is able to pick up all the same abilities that we are able to get currently. It doesn’t seem like an overall improvement because I’m forced to put points in filler talents just to move down the tree. If you want Resonant Words you can’t take Runes… if you want Runes you can’t take Resonant Words. It’s hard to squeeze in points for Lightwell or even Divine Words without having to give up on something else. Holy for raid will end up having to focus more on getting faster Holy Word Salvation resets. You pretty much can’t take things like Shining Force because you need those points further down the tree. Talents on the bottom like Gales Song are pretty much mandatory picks for Holy if you’re using Divine Hymn in a raid.

Example on what I mean:

If Cosmic Ripple + Piety of Mana were 1 point each and the Rune talents were merged than you could save 3 points that you can slot into things like lolwell (if you wanted it) and Resonant Words.

• I don’t like Divine Hymn & Symbol of Hope being talent picks because if you want to focus on a damage oriented playstyle you really can’t take Divine Hymn.
  • Top and middle rows seem fairly well laid out. No real major complaints.
  • Bottom row needs the most work. Please don’t give us Lightwell.
  • Button bloat is going to get a bit extreme. It’s entirely possible to add 3-4 new buttons to your hotbar than currently between the two trees.
  • Overall question is how much of a nerf are H Priests going to get in the healing & damage department with the loss of Boon of the Ascended and Flash Concentration.
4 Likes