Dragonflight novel?

Since Wrath, expansions have had tie-in novels. However so far there’s been no official announcement of a DF novel, with the only mention being on Amazon as an Untitled World of Warcraft Dragonflight Novel.

Which makes me wonder are we getting one? If so does it mean the lack of mention so far is because its meant to be concurrent with the launch of DF instead of set before it?

5 Likes

No book announcement, no new short stories, no new warbringer cinematics. No PR for Dragonflight in six months. Today they released a short story from the Fairytales book, as an official short story for Dragonflight. It’s time to finally accept that Dragonflight release may be delayed, and they have no real content to give us in the meantime.

I’m fine with having no pre-expansion tie in novel.

One of the things I hated when it came to novels like the Shattering, Tides of War, Warcrimes etc. Those important events should’ve been in the game. Mainly the prepatches as actual content. I know that Blizzard did put the bombing of Theramore into the game during the MoP prepatch then upscaled them for MoP endgame but considering that the novel was intended to be the ‘primary way’ to explain the details of that event, it came off as something added in last minute.

6 Likes

Would any of us mind if it was delayed? Honestly this whole push to release before end of the year was always a bad idea.

2 Likes

I think I’d mind. WoW needs to release content more frequently.

Based on the quality of the writing we have been getting it would be probably the equivalent of a teen CW series or twlight style writing pandering to those who only care about who is hooking up with who.

Blizzards writing has lost its soul and I don’t think they have any decent writers left who are actually interested in writing actual warcraft and not a dating sim.

1 Like

It depends on who the writer would be. It’d probably be like that with Golden, though not most other authors.

I don’t mind if they delayed it as long as when they do release it, it’s a finished polished game. It’s what we deserve after Shadowlands.

1 Like

Interesting information about a place holder. As if they are working on one but not sure what to do with it.

I am never one of those people rushing for new content. I am OK with delays. I was having a conversation about this with a coworker who is a Gamer type. He had the same perspective as me:

“Better to delay a game and release it as polished as possible, than rush a game out too soon.”

Maybe we are patient pot heads. He plays more video games than me, and he agreed that a bad video game release can hang around the legacy of a game for years.

It is true, there seems less pre-launch hype. Either they are going for a real quiet and seamless launch, or they are delaying it. Feels odd that we have not gotten any short stories or cartoons. I guess one about Lorthemar and Thalyssra is coming out soon.

2 Likes

I don’t mind the lack of a novel this time. Honestly, we haven’t had a really good one since Illidan.

That said, if we do get one, can we please, for the love of God, KEEP GOLDEN AS FAR AWAY FROM IT AS POSSIBLE?!

1 Like

I get that it’s subjective to the individual, but I thought Shadows Rising was really great.

5 Likes

Yeah I loved Shadows Rising. The way Sira was depicted was awesome. She is my WoW spirit animal. She almost made it sound like even Nathanos and Sylvanas were too tame for her.

I think she has some fun left in her. Maybe Sylvanas Loyalists wil get a quest to break her out, because we are just no good sometimes. Sylvanas has gone soft.

I think the Illidan novel is overrated.

2 Likes

That’s because Illidan is a cringe fest himself. The book tried to make him cooler than he actually is

1 Like

I don’t like you.

I couldn’t care less about you. Maybe if you had something about the lore to discuss, I might care about that. Depending on what you were saying. It seems you just wanted to talk about me.

Enjoy having me in your head.

I think Shadow’s Rising was a step in the right direction. It has some important stuff like why Talanji has agreed to not still seek war on Kul Tiras, at least for the time being, and explains why Nathanos was dead bone chilling on his front porch despite being Azeroth’s most wanted.

But neither of those things are direly needed to understand anything in SL.

But then they took a gigantic step back with Sylvanas. I’m still shocked none of that was in game. It wasn’t exactly content I’d have demanded but I had just presumed we were going to go inside Sylvanas’s memory to help her sort out her evil side. Uther does so I almost feel like that was the idea at one point.

6 Likes

Well, they’ll have to call it something else, for one.

Anne McCaffrey wrote Dragonflight in 1968.

Where I think they’ll spend their licensed fiction budget, however, is on the Time Skip - show us what “getting back to normal” looks like for Azeroth. Personally, I’d have liked to see an expansion just about restoration & rebuilding, but I like builders, and not everyone does.

2 Likes

I’ve recommended something similar. Obviously we’re going to still need threats to overcome but I’d go back to localized villainous organizations menacing a faction or two rather than this or that expansion long uber villain or apocalypse tier threat

WoW has more than a large enough rogue’s gallery to make this work and one genuinely fantastic aspect of Vanilla lost to time was the globe trotting adventure feel. One minute you could be battling centaur in the Savanah and the next storming a werewolf infested castle in a haunted forest. Compare that to SL where yeah the Covenants certainly had drastically different zones but one way or the other they all lead to fighting the Jailor’s army of gray blobs and grayish suits of armor. Whereas in Classic if say the Defias weren’t doing it for you, you could always wander to the Dwarven or Kaldorei regions to see what they were up to. Variety is the spice of life afterall.

I’d combine the localized threats, largely unconnected raid bosses and globe trotting feel with Cata’s ‘look how everything changed’ appeal but this time focused on building old zones up rather than blowing them up.

6 Likes

Agreed. It’s also why I’m fine with Night of the Dragon. Blizzard did a good job of supplying information about the Twilight Dragonflight in Wrath and Cata. So you don’t feel pressured to read NotD to find out where they came from. The whole mystery angle with Wrath was good imo. You go into OS and are like, ‘dafaq are these purple drakes’ then RS comes and you see a fully grown one. Then in Cata we see how they are made with Sinestra in BoT and Corla in BRC (Blackrock Caverns). Even having the latter create Twilight dragons & drakonids by draining a nether drake. Which is what Sinestra did to create Dargonax in NotD.

5 Likes