Dragonflight codex SPOILER

However it happened, Baal got his hand on the book and now we know some of what it contains.

My first thought, at least they didn’t forget Chromatus.

2 Likes

I saw Goriona was listed under the Twilight Dragonflight section.

Here’s hoping we find out exactly what happened after she exited the Dragon Soul raid.

3 Likes

Where’s the Pictures?

I mean you can ask Baal, personally the pictures I am ok with him not showing so people would actually buy the book. I’m more interested in the lore.

my one image summary for the book

Only “new” specific lore, or interesting bits otherwise:

• Merithra’s section doesn’t mention she’s the aspect explicitly, Ebyssian’s does
  • Incarnates section states they gave themselves their powers via a ritual, which is how it is presented in Scaleborn War novel; this CONTRADICTS the in-game presentation of Tyr forcing the Incarnates into their elemental powers via experimentation in the 10.0 Dragonscale Expedition questline; NOTE: DF launched November 2022, War of the Scaleborn was released October 2023, this book was released just now; I assume there was a post-launch pivot on the etiology of how the Incarnates came to be because of the reception the players had to the various “Tyr Evil Scientist” threads
  • Khadgar speculates that Fel or Void is involved in the creation of Dragon Ascendants, which are somehow different than the other Drakonids also created from mortals
  • Primalist Tasarek are stated to be given a choice between elemental infusion or staying normal; Dragonflight Tasarek are forced to accept arcane “acceleration” to serve the flights
  • Dragon eggs develop spikes and stone like shells when ready to hatch
  • Dragons reach full adulthood at 10 years of age
  • Khadgar says Elves have “superior intellect” to Trolls and that Trolls were lead to the well of eternity by a fairy dragon
  • Druids affirmed to have existed prior to Malfurion
  • Druids could access the emerald dream but with great effort and deep meditation prior to Ysera binding Nelf Druids to the Dream
  • Hakkar’s blood is seemingly retcon’d as not causing Nightmare corruption
  • Khadgar incorrectly states because Blizzard incorrectly believes Oral Histories are not primary sources
9 Likes

The more information we get, the more evident it becomes that Dragon Flight underwent some real rewrites and course corrections mid-stride and I’m really curious as to why.

8 Likes

At least with regards to Merithra the answer is pretty obvious, most people did not want Ysera back and Merithra should clearly have just taken over.

7 Likes

I wouldn’t view that as a contraction. I always figured that Tyr was studying elemental proto dragons that he captured.

3 Likes

Oh another piece of information:

• The term dragon started to be used by Protodrakes pre-Titan shenanigans
  • the correct term for protodrakes are Primal Dragons
  • dragonflight dragons are Ordered Dragons
4 Likes

There were no elemental dragons at this time according to this book, they are a “reverse progression” post-Ordering dragons

Furthermore the questline uses the Incarnate’s models in the “memory” data

God I love Dadghar.

2 Likes

So, uh.

Who’s the first druids now?

They did some weird stuff with the history of the Kaldorei in this book. Like having the Kaldorei somehow be big on arcane before Azashara made it a thing. They were supposed to of been kinda a dinky kingdom around the well and into hyjal before Azashara went meglomania empire building.

4 Likes

The girl reading this

Presumably Trolls or Tauren :sunglasses:

1 Like

surely you jest Blizzard would say such a thing.

I swear, if they canonized Xarantaur because of Dragons.

well they are def affirming both in this patch and in this book there were druids as long as there have been mortals vibing with nature and/or wild gods on azeroth

so at the very least the “you’re only a super duper real super official totally real druid if cenarius trained you” is thrown out the window

4 Likes

I wonder how they are going to square that with them also still not deconanonizing Malfurion is The First Druid. Seems like they contradicted themselves.

Which is sort of… what blizzard does to be fair. Given they do the point of view thing now they can just say any mistakes in the book were because Khadgar’s sources are not accurate.

I mean, so what’s the exact text here? Because depending on how it’s phrased that’s important.

Malfurion wasn’t the first Nature user. Or the first person who used Druidic magic. He was, however, the first Druid (I mean, obviously, before now.)

We know we had Nature users from Legion and the Arcan’Dor, before the Night Elves turned fully to Arcane.

And we know from Well of Eternity books that there were people who used Nature magic before Malfurion, but they were no longer really “mortal” or recognizable as the same form.

Hedge witches from Gilneas were also nature users, but sort of proto-druids. Mentioned even by Medivh in the Last Guardian as using arcane/nature magic on crops.

Being an actual Druid was presented as being something different. So does it say like, archaic nature users? Which we know have existed, or does it say there were just other mortal races who were actively Druids?

I guess it’s also important to realize that it’s from Khadgar’s point of view, so anything is theoretically up for interpretation? I don’t know how hard that is taken in the book.

*Important from the standpoint of Blizzard deciding down the line to change any of it.

2 Likes

Apparently from the moment Kaldorei existed they became mages and druids somehow. they used the term druid directly.

I am also curious why Faerie dragons would ever lead the dark trolls to the well. That is a very long way for creatures with the attention span of gnat to lead anyone, unless they are saying Elune guided the faerie dragons as creatures of her domain to guide the trolls.

3 Likes