Dragonflight beta won't launch

Finally received my beta invite tonight but after downloading, updating, redownloading, scanning and trying another M1 Max computer, I’m greeted only with an error.

1 Like

it’s due to WoW/Data/data/index.lock.x files. x being a 0 or a 1 or 2. delete any files that look like this and be care NOT to delete any other files. ONLY these index.lock.x files

Deleting these files will resolve that crash. It was due to a bug in recent build of agent… Agent was breaking the file, and wow would try to read file on launch and assert and crash on it. that bugged agent has already been rolled back but users who have damaged files have to delete them themselves.

15 Likes

Cheers, also did receive the beta today and the same error. Removing the index.lock.0 file in the retail wow directory did the trick like you wrote, thanks!

where Exactly do i find WoW/Data/Data/Index. Because there is no index folder in my data/data… newish to macOS

1 Like

The file should be in /Applications/World of Warcraft/Retail/data

Just go to your finder and go to that path or use the terminal.

yeah i figured it out i was in the right place just couldn’t find that file until i did a search for it… it fixed the issue alls well now… still can’t post in the actual beta forums but w/e

Try logging out of your BNet and back in; that should let you post

Great! Now I can get into beta again.

Now if they’d just fix the constant crashing, I could actually play it. (Crashed less than 3 minutes after logging back in. Sigh.)

2 Likes

it was Open FInder>Applications>WOW> Data> Data

and then delete the SINGLE issue with the .lock

I have been unable to even launch the Beta. Several attempts to log on have all resulted in an error message. The Windows laptop on my desk has never had that problem.

2 Likes

Just got back from a Vegas trip and your fix worked perfectly. Thank you!

Tried this Tuesday (today). Did not work. Any updates?

depends on issue. if you’re waiting for the lock file to fix itself. You’ll have to find the offending file and remove it. If it’s another issue you’ll have to post a crash report.