Dragon Reproduction [Chronormu]

/e Starts counting on fingers, then takes boots off to use toes…
“I think I lost count…”

Well the problem there is she is part of the sacred timeline, and however unlikely, it is stated that even the Bronze are forbidden to change that timeline. So Chromie going back in time to change her gender while in embryo could break the timeline.

Adding in that Dragons are fully sentient even within their eggs as described by Wrathion. It is just as likely that embryo Chromie is just as aware of what is going on as the one we’ve met so many times before…

It’s possible that a dragon chooses their name rather than their parents. After all nobody named Wrathion did they? Since a Dragon is sentient even while in embryo as mentioned above, it’s very possible they pick their own name…

Well if any of the flights had the ability to change their biology you’d think it would be the Blue. They after all are the protectors of Magic. With Wrathion, he’d purged his flight on Azeroth with only himself and Ebonhorn remaining. So with him being the “last” even if he could change gender it wouldn’t matter if he laid unfertilized eggs.

Now I believe there were several females in Sabellion’s group that followed him from Outland. Not to mention with Eggs that are brought to the pools for safe keeping.

I’ll have to (forget) to look into it, but I remember a quest chain in Legion with some Blue about their inability to reproduce. I’ll have to look up the specifics with how long it’s been, but it’s possible not all Dragons are capable of reproducing. Being Hatched infertile. Like a Hive or Colony of insects where only a queen is able to procreate and all her daughters are bared chemically from being able to.

A question I’ve ben curious about since ages past. When two different species procreate their offspring becomes a hybrid of both (See Half-elf Paladin offspring of Turalyon and his Elf). So what would the child of a Dragon and Human (or another race) be?

It was said in a Q&A “With Magic anything is possible.” So that’s a hard stop on basically anything regarding that subject. Yes, a Dragon could knock up a mortal or vice versa. The question then becomes, how will that child be born? Would the mother give a live birth, or somehow lay and egg to hatch later?

I figure the mother would dictate incubation. So assuming visage form, a female dragon would still lay an egg, where as a mortal would give a live birth.

It should be noted in regard to Jaina that she and Kalec likely had Magical birth control in place for their happy fun time.

1 Like

While it is forbidden, we have seen Bronze Dragons, including Nozdormu himself willing to let a few changes slip by. Saragosa’s clutch of eggs that were meant to die from being abandoned is one example. In the WotA trilogy, older Krasus found them and told Nozdormu about them. Nozdormu then takes the eggs into his care until they could survive on their own. The big one though was intentionally going back in time, stealing the Dragon Soul and using it against Deathwing. We are not too sure on how that whole ordeal was meant to go originally. Considering the End Time we go to so we can kill Murozond was a manufactured one. By Murozond himself in fact.

The whole time heist thing in Cata could be a case of ‘always meant to happen’ like the time heist in Avengers Endgame (according to the Loki TV series). But for now, my opinion is that it was not meant to happen and it is a case of Nozdormu breaking the rules Aman’thul gave him. Like how Clank used the Great Clock to save Ratchet from dying in A Crank in Time. Even if it was within the “Safe limit of time travel” (<6 mins)

I saved you the trouble. That was an actual plot point that all dragons of the flights lost their ability to reproduce after they sacked their power to kill Deathwing. There were even a couple of quests that said that the eggs in the hatchery were the “last of the last.” Though Blizz backtracked that in record time and I think they justified it by saying that was a temporary effect of sacking the Aspect power and they can reproduce like normal again.

Male Dragon: (waggles eyebrows suggestively)
Female Dragon: Sorry honey, but ever since we used up SO MUCH energy defeating Deathwing, I’ve had this terrible headache…
Male Dragon: Still? Really?
Female Dragon: Sweetie (spoken with little drips of sarcasm), we have multi-millennia long lifespans. You can wait a few more expansions for me to get back in the mood. You just gotta pick whether you wanna spend them alongside my on our treasure hoard, or alone on our couch

1 Like