Dr Who was not complete feminist garbage

I just wanted to say that I think some of the criticisms of the new Dr Who seasons with Jodie Whittaker haven’t been entirely fair at all, the way fans have been slamming everything has been heartbreaking to watch, I know it’s not a perfect show these days, tbh I haven’t even looked at the feedback to the final episode, because the vitriol online is now just people looking for a reason to hate on the series.

So i’d like to cover some points.

1-All these complaints that just because there is a black female doctor being something all ‘Woke’, look, here is the truth…Dr Who has always been progressive, if you think about it since this whole new series began with Rose Tyler as first companion of the doctor, let’s be honest, she, and her entire family, were poor, working class people, not the kind of people that would have been main characters on television years ago, I mean let’s face the facts here. So why is it that now being progressive is such an issue triggering people?

2-As for the criticism that the series has been too focused on promoting some kind of feminist agenda, while I did find some of the environmental episodes a touch preachy, in actual fact, several times especially when the Master has been on screen, we’ve seen the doctor in a very submissive position, even getting to her knees in front of him in one episode, if this was true feminist fan-fiction such a seen would never have been allowed to happen

3-Finally one issue that keeps coming up, is how they are apparently stuffing up the lore of the series, the truth of the matter is the Dr has always been mysterious. I have heard that the producers have been listening to feedback, and I am seeing that as the series progressed, my point of view is that it actually became less and less PC and whatnot towards the end.

Any thoughts on this?

1 Like

Havent seen the show, but ive heard about the mess that it currently, and idk about you but losing over half the audience and the director apparently not giving a one about it, its a massive red flag.

Has for if its too woke or not, that no the problem, its the fact that its woke, regardless of the level of it, people are more than tired of that garbage.

Series like Terminator, Ghostbusters, Star Wars, etc

All of them got turned into woke garbage, and people are tired of having their series ruined.

5 Likes

its garbage now because they went woke and BBC doesn’t care anymore.

4 Likes

I was totally fine with her being a woman, but there were other problems with it.

What they should have done was made her a woman, but otherwise made it the same. Instead, they went WAY overboard with every other diversity thing. She could no longer just have a companion, but instead it was an India female, English African male (with some weird disability, which makes riding a bike difficult) and an Elderly white male.

Then, if that wasn’t enough, it inserted such diversity/sexism themes into stories. Although, I did learn things about Rosa Parks that I did not know before; They always taught us, in grade school, that she refused to sit at the BACK of the bus. Actually, she ALREADY WAS at the back of the bus, but as more white people got on they moved the color barrier farther back until she was going to have to give up her seat to a white man. THAT was when she refused.

Then, if that wasn’t enough, it inserted modern day climate change/pollution alarmist/extremist stuff into stories.

I remember watching the episode, with the mutant looking “monster” people. My first thought was, “Oh, knowing the way this is show is now I’ll bet those people turn out to be US and it is something about pollution/climate change/ruining the planet.” BINGO, complete with a message from the Doctor at the end about it.

I actually thought it was pretty good with Capaldi, some people didn’t like him. It still seemed like “Doctor Who”, though.

Just as with a female, I don’t have a problem with the Doctor being a “black female.” But it is just a bit much, on top of all the other stuff they’ve done this season.

What they should have done was said, “OK, a woman. Now that this is done, lets go ahead and have otherwise normal “Doctor Who” stories.”

5 Likes

My hubby liked 9 which was how I introduced him to the series and hooked him. My Doctor is 11 but we watched all the way til the 13th Doctor. Made it through the first episode and my hubby decided that he was just done with it all. I will try to catch up one day on my own. Hubs is very right wing thinking. Yeah…he would really hate some of the series more progressive leaning topics these days. This makes me rather sad. :broken_heart: I grew up watching old episodes of Doctor Who.

(Dang it. I didn’t notice the date. Sorry for the Necro, folks.)

1 Like

You are allowed to necro in the Movies, TV and Entertainment forum, you just not supposed to do it on the general forum.

The reason for that is that almost nobody comes here anyway

I did notice it seems much less active over here. I wonder why that is? I was surprised when I saw a Doctor Who thread and just replied. Never ran across one over in GD.

We only meant to talk about films and movies and other video games here

Hmm…I do recall it being mentioned. With such little foot traffic here though maybe they should merge this within GD. Then everyone can fight over movies/tv stuff instead of just wow things. Eh. Nevermind that was just a silly idea.

The first four posts in this topic are among the dumbest things I’ve ever read.

I am looking forward to next reason I admit. Was quite a cliffhanger.