DPS vs Mechanics

You’re in a flex raiding group, averaging 12-16 people a week for progress on normal.

You have one player, who is in the top 3 on dps and damage done on every fight, but fails to follow even the most basic mechanics of the fights.

Then you have another player, barely pulling DPS higher than the tanks in most fights, but knows the mechanics in and out, and rarely has to be told what to do or when.

Which player do you keep on the roster?

This is completely hypothetical, I just want to get general perspective on progression raiding when it comes to these two variables.

Thank you

I find it hard to imagine how a player doesn’t follow mechanics, but does high dps. You do zero dps when dead.

5 Likes

Neither. This is a false dichotomy, you keep players who do decent-to-good dps and also perform mechanics.

(Or both, because it’s Normal and you don’t mind carrying people. But if you’re looking to build a strong team then yeah neither.)

4 Likes

Removing the human relationships from consideration:
Neither are an asset

Conclave would be a good example. You could multidot all of the bosses, but they heal to full after one dies, making the damage you do to the non-burn target meaningless. You could also avoid dpsing the raptors.

Granted this is more of a problem with multidotters than classes or dps in general. Rastakhan would be another example of a dotter trying to pad his numbers at the expense of the raid.

As a raid leader, my theory has always been that a DPS rotation can be learned. Someone who is there to pad meters will probably not change. I would take the person who does mechanics properly and work with them to min/max dps while doing them.

2 Likes

Always take someone who plays smart, meaning they adjust to mechanics. I’ll pass on someone who tunnels their rotation and ignores mechanics.

keep the player that listens to the strat and does mechanics 100%. There has been very few fights in the last few tiers where everyone parsing 1000% was a requirement to kill the boss. When you wipe on mythic mistress all night its not because people dont do enough damage, its because spergs drop sharks on your raid all night.

We had a boomkin on mythix mythrax that was not swapping to xalzaix at all. He was dotiting and what not but not hard swapping at all ever and had maybe 1/3 of the damage on him the other less geared boomkin had. He could 99% parse into the next dimension and hes still hot garbage because he cant follow simple instructions, as well as not hitting the correct add on fetid multiple times causing us to imbalance dps and wipe

The first person who knows his rotation and doesn’t die to the mechanics ( I say this because you imply top 3 damage everytime) will potentially help you progress, hope they learn the mechanic.

The second person needs to learn how to perform their rotation while doing mechanics. You can dance all day but if you dont do enough damage you eventually hit the rage timer anyway.

Neither are good for the raid. Set them out and ask them to do their best to improve or they wont be coming back.

You keep them both initially. If a person can’t follow mechanics they will be removed first though. Low DPS can be compensated for, but a person who doesn’t follow mechanics can be the sole reason your raid isn’t progressing.

I say if they are doing at least 8-12k DPS they are fine.

Edit: to clear up my thoughts. A good DPS might do 15-20k DPS, now over a long fight that sounds great, but if that DPS doesn’t participate in mechanics, 1. their DPS is going to be bloated or inflated, and 2. even if they were doing a 100k DPS if they trigger a raid kill boss mechanic, that’s game over, doesn’t really matter how much DPS they’d done.

Numbers look pretty, but people who stay alive and follow the rules and obligations of a raid are much much more important.

Both. You help the low dps player perform the rotation player, and make it clear to your high dps that everyone can be higher on the charts if they ignored mechanics.

To be a good raider you need to have both raid awareness and at least know your rotation.

A good player can be taught to DPS better, but someone who is there to flex their DPS while ignoring mechanics can potentially cause a wipe.

That said, a player can also be taught raid awareness, and may be worth bringing on alt runs to help teach them. I really believe in helping and improving players whenever possible, instead of automatically benching someone. They might not be able to go with the progression team right away, but every player who is willing to learn deserves the chance to get there eventually.

1 Like

Muiltdotting is prolly better for the raid group has the dps multi dotting will probably get more procs/build the spenders faster to do more damage to the main target. Like building embers faster as a destro lock to put more chaos bolts into the kill target or a shadow priest mult dotting to stay in void form longer

Well I know this is harsh but always keep the highest dps, as higher dps means you are more likely to cheese mechanics anyway, unless someone is really stupid.

You keep both. Because some fights dps does matter over mechanics which can be skirted a little bit. But unless the high dps is causing numerous wipes then I wouldn’t worry.

Sometimes numbers have to be sacrificed it sucks but true.

Shadow priests have had there primary target damage linked to dots since MoP. You always multi-dot. Currently at 3 targets I’m looking at a 3k increase in dps to the kill target.