Dont count too hard on classic being really classic

Soul shards now arent anything like classic. Not even comparable. Would be a very weird custom change.

It won’t be Blizz’s fault if Classic isn’t successful - it will be the community. Even if Blizzard does everything perfectly, it will be up to the community to decide if it succeeds. If these forums and the Trade chat on live is any indication, it will not do very well in the long run.

In 2004, Social Media was still pretty new, so people didn’t have the mindset yet to troll and flame everything anytime they want. Likewise, the people that were playing in 2004 were more likely to have gaming etiquette, as they knew there were consequences to letting their emotions fly in chat. Such as being publicly shunned from the community, including not getting invites to dungeons and raids.

Now however, a lot of players don’t care if they troll or be mean to others because there’s no consequences. So one of the things I am interested in seeing is how this generation of players will handle being forced to mind their keyboard rage or taking the chance of being left out of group content.

1 Like

I do think it’d be cool if Blizzard restored the pre-Cata world in retail so that the retail players who prefer retail can visit it.

1 Like

You must be new here? :slight_smile:

1 Like

This thread is nothing more than a growing ground for trolls.

You mean breeding ground, right?

Right! Thanks

Been here since day one. You know as well as I do every group has its fanatics.

Haha yeah I know you’ve been around and are a rational contributor here. As long as there’s a 0% chance of someone else’s graphic settings impacting my play I don’t care what they do, but some people vehemently oppose the graphics toggle.

Now hold up. A graphics toggle is way different than a color blind mode.

They’ll probably get something wrong somewhere but I don’t see the cause for concern. Current information indicates that Blizzard is taking this seriously and has been proactive in meeting the communities expectations of what defines a Classic experience.

Don’t confuse the Current WoW design team with the Classic devs. The Classic devs have done almost everything perfect so far. There’s three problems that I see: sharding, loot trading, and auto-squelch, and those issues might be out of their control.

3 Likes

You’re thinking of retail.

I’ve mentioned it in other threads, but I think it is worth repeating. Classic can be a home run, but they’ve got to get it right on day one. If that means delaying it a few months, that’s better than releasing a poor version and trying to patch fix it later because it’ll be too late. The best part is that I think they know it because from what little has been said, they seem to be doing a really good job.

1 Like

I can tell by your post that you understand why these are a thing, but I’m going to explain it myself just in case someone reads your post and doesn’t get it.

Those are only a thing thanks to differences between how Blizzard operates today versus how they operated in 2006. Sharding is due to their modern back-end, which is required to run the game. Loot trading and “auto squelch” are due to a much, MUCH smaller GM staff than they had previously.

Things change, and Blizzard cannot fully bring the old days back. It wouldn’t be practical, or profitable.

1.12.1 isn’t really that great anyway.

Bad mechanics like weapons not granting DPS for ferals, hunter pet homogenization, class balance & PvP issues, the list goes on and on.

The sooner we can to improving Classic beyond 1.12.1, the better.

There’s no reason to defend the flaws of Classic - the game will be objectively better once these issues are fixed.

Absolutely not. Dual spec is absolutely terrible and ruins the essence of Vanilla, keep that crap in retail.

Class balance changes, or the addition of other improvements like the addition of more quests for leveling so that people don’t have to grind during the leveling process are fine though.

I very much doubt it will be 100% faithful to vanilla WoW. However, 80% of vanillia WoW is 10000000000000000000000000000000% better than retail.

1 Like

While we aren’t getting out of this completely unscathed, I get the impression from the dev team that they care about authenticity just as much as many of us do.

Plus they’ve already changed their content schedule based on feedback from the community, particularly concerns about Dire Maul and late Vanilla loot tables trivializing T1 content.

The areas where we currently have confirmed changes are related to automating GM functions. There are concerns about it, but it also feels like something out of their control when Activision posts record profits but lays off 800 support staff anyway.

Your random use of returns and double returns is distracting.

Uh
 no. We don’t need to “improve” Classic. If you want the “improved” version of Classic, BFA is that waiting for you.

You mean ferals were treated like cat/bear npcs and had a base damage? Say it ain’t so. Sounds like some immersive stuff to me. Why would your weapon give you additional dps in cat/bear form? Clearly you aren’t holding it in those forms.

The only homogenization for pets in 1.12 is that their run speed was equalized. Not something I’d call a great thing, but not something I’d call terrible either. While some pets run really fast, there were also some that were just really slow.

Classes weren’t meant to be perfectly balanced. If they were you’d have 1 class with 1 ability.

2 Likes

Yes, we are all familiar with your 2 horrible threads.