Does weapon skill matter for druid?

does weapon skill impact bear/cat form?

No. But it’s not a bad thing to level up in caster form for… reasons.

2 Likes

no, on your character sheet it will still show your weapon skill… but when in cat or bear… the only thing that matters on a weapon is the stats it gives you.

1 Like

Talk about being overpowered.

how so? because we can not use weapon skill for hit caps and have to search for more hit gear then anyone else?

or is it the fact we can equip a legendary and it does not affect the damage we do at all?

ya…sounds OP… smdh

8 Likes

Oh yeah. Godly. Roll one up and see for yourself. But keep it between us, so this whole enterprise doesn’t become World of Druidcraft.

6 Likes

Smacking stuff with your weapon is still relevant while leveling and even in dungeons. It’s additional damage and OoC procs as long as you watch swing timers. I’ve been consistently outdamaging many damage dealers as a healer thanks to doing this, moonfire, insect swarm and using explosives.
Of course things are different in raids.

At lower levels, your melee swings will actually be the bulk of your damage in caster form, and a slow 2h crits are handy in PvP.

2 Likes

You weapon (& weaponskill) is your wand if you are a caster Druid staying in humanoid form, since switching to feral forms isn’t worth it or is too limiting. I found it easier & more efficient to just stay in caster form while questing/soloing with my Resto/Bal hybrid Druid & apply a couple Insect Swarm & Moonfire casts back to back while I auto-attack with staff. This also allows me to Rejuv or heal as needed seamlessly on tougher oranges & such. Works for my play style preferences. Armor kits on legs, hands, boots & chest & staying in leather-only gear (no cloth) is also your friend in this type of situation.

2 Likes

you really leveled as balance?, ah, bit of hybrid, still I’ve been feral the whole way, hard to imagine runnign as anything else and running out of mana

3 Likes

I posted on my Priest Kuliraga above, but yeah I just never found Feral fun even back in Vanilla & did the same hybrid Resto/Bal spec. With a good mix of Spirit in my caster gear, downtime for drinking is minimal since I am mostly just using Moonfire & Insect Swarm. I guess my idea of soloing fun is sort of offbeat, lol.

3 Likes

Feral requires a lot of power shifting to be effective. Many people decide feral and then start with feral talents. When one of the most important to get is forur out of resto… makes a huge difference when power shifting

Short answer: No, weapon skill doesn’t matter for Druids.

Longer answer: No, but there are extremely fringe cases where you can auto attack in caster form and it will maybe (not really) make a difference, and once you level weapon skill it’s there forever, so you might as well do it eventually. I’ll probably do it when I literally have nothing better to do, just as neat way to continue to min/max my character

3 Likes

I have heard of some people getting bugged.
and weapon skill being calculated on accident?

a few posts about this in druid forms.
stating through out raid night they would have a section in form that they missed/glanced more.

No reason to not level it up. never knoow when you need to finish a mob in caster form “manually”.

Druids can’t use wands or any other ranged weapon.

Right, which is why your melee weapon auto-attacks is your “wand” if you are a caster-druid…

Ok now I follow you. Thank you, that won’t be the last time I’m confused by something so simple.

And I agree. Feral weapons are pretty much stat sticks exactly (to your point that i missed) like wands are to clothies. You might find an off-hand orb or something along the way that might work for a while with a one-handed mace, but that’ll probably be short-lived as two-hand maces seem to have better stats.

Itemrack classic will swap out your healing/casting staff for your mace automatically when you switch forms for those who don’t know. Out of combat, you can swap whole gear sets with one click. It also works for riding spurs and such when mounted, so is handy for all classes.

I am new to WoW so please forgive my ignorance, but I’m not entirely sure my weapon proficiency doesn’t have an affect on my animal form unless someone can explain why my melee attack value changes based on what i have equipped. Also I have seen my defense skill go up when I am in animal form so that seems to have an affect. I have seen a difference between unarmed, staffed, and even having my fishing pole equipped. Don’t know if I can post the pictures, but unarmed my melee attack value is 68, with staff it’s 108, with my fishing pole equipped it’s 230. I’m just trying to understand.

LOL druids can’t use wands. Silly priest. I get what she was saying she just said it in a weird way.

How does your reply have any relevance on what I said? The title of this post is, “does weapon skill matter for druid?”

the answer is no. Go read a druid guide instead of expecting everyone else to teach you how to play.