Does the Horde intend to continue war against the Alliance?

I want the Alliance to continue war against the Horde. Time to purify Lordaeron boys

2 Likes

No you must not have gotten the memo. We’re literally giving it back to the Horde for no reason.

2 Likes

While I wouldn’t want them to succeed beyond reclaiming Gilneas, Arathi (which I guess actually occurred?), refortifying the Wildhammer as Aerie Peak and maybe reclaiming the half of Hillsbrad south of the main road, at least that is a logical reason for Faction conflict to occur. Did the developers think of that? No? They thought up ‘magical titan blood that everyone wants at first that gets forgotten halfway through the expansion’ and ‘Sylvanas secretly makes a pact with the Ultra Mega Lich King to kill as many people on both sides as possible’. Sweet Jeebus, what they getting paid for again? Just implementing new borrowed power and microcurrency grinds, I’m sure.

2 Likes

I don’t know if this has been mentioned before, but according to weekly BG honor quests in Oribos, the Alliance and Horde are still fighting. I don’t know why.

It’s absolutely irrelevant because neither faction has the free will to make a real choice. They are both fictional constructs and so the question that SHOULD have asked given the nature of this franchise is…

How are the writers and developers going to start the next Alliance/Horde conflict?

My personal suspicion is that the next conflict is going to be touched off by the Night Elves, but not by Tyrande herself.

The other touchpoint might be the death of Anduin and a move made to retaliate by the new leadership of Stormwind.

That’s standard the same thing was going on in Nazjatar as well.

Random Horde military leader, speaking to the Entire Horde Council (minus Thrall and Baine who are mysteriously absent): My fellow proud members of the Horde, the Alliance continues to… exist!

Entire Horde Council (minus Thrall and Baine who are mysteriously absent): (noises of shock, horror, and anger)

Random Horde council Member: In order to rectify this unacceptable situation, we nominate Adolf Dahmer the Ripper as emergency Warchief, with power to completely overrule and ignore us, until this is resolved!

15 Likes

Sure but the factions were officially at war back then. Why are we fighting now?

Like where? Last we heard both alliance and horde had exhausted their capacity for war.

In the weekly BG quest in Oribos, Strategist Zo’rak tells us, “You seem to be fond of squabbling over contested ground.”

Some may argue that us being able to fight in BG’s is a gameplay mechanic, but this is quest dialogue.

Active fighting in the Korean War ended before I was born. But there are still incidents going on between North and South to the present day.

That’s a measure of the difference between dejure and defacto.

The Korean War never technically ended though. A lot of people don’t know that, I think. Did the war between the Alliance and Horde never end de jure either?

To be fair, to justify PvP at all in the lore there needs to be some sort of armed conflict.

Honestly, it’s vague wording though. It could just as easily be a bunch of outraged vigilantes continuing to squabble.

Also India and Pakistan have small armed skirmishes on a near-daily basis and the two aren’t officially at war. They’re even in a bit of a trade agreement together haha.

England and France continued to trade with each other during the Hundred Years War.

1 Like

The inability to reign in the Texans was as much due to the slow speed of communications as anything else. After all you’re talking pre-telegraph, pre-rail, and even pre-Pony Express.

1 Like

The Alliance and Horde are in an armistice, the same as North and South Korea.

2 Likes

…I would welcome quests where Horde and Alliance continue fighting by building giant flag poles, blasting loud pop music at each other, digging tunnels under neutral territory, and hosting rival Olympic Games. Imagine a Horde quest where you kidnap a famous Alliance playwright so goblins can make a cheesy Godzilla rip-off.

3 Likes

Would it be insensitive to have a questline where a squad goes into enemy territory to chop down a small tree?

Wasn’t that the Argent Tournament? Lol.

4 Likes

The quest dialogue should say something like 'We have reports that a night elf druid is attempting to grow a new world tree right near the border of Ashenvale and the Barrens! That’s much too close to our territory for such a valuable enemy asset; sneak into elf territory and cut it down!"

…then when you actually get to the tree, it’s comically small- knee high to an orc. It turns out the reports are either wildly exaggerated, the druid in question is too weak to create anything remotely powerful, or both. The goblin NPC accompanying you shakes his head in disgust saying “THIS is not meaningful resource to exploit!”, while the Forsaken NPC just complains “Rats, I was hoping for something bigger again!” and chops it down anyway.

4 Likes

Put the Horde out of your mind for a second,
When is the Ebon Blade going to continue its one-(wo)man war of extermination against dragons?