Does religion have a place in WoW, or not?

I was doing some early morning BGs, and noticed someone posting bible quotes at the start of a couple of them. Just got me thinking, what is Blizzard’s / the community’s stance on this?

2 Likes

I’m Wiccan and have no problem with other peoples religion being expressed ingame

8 Likes

I’m agnostic. I’m OK with other people expressing their religion as long as they don’t intentionally hurt others.

4 Likes

OP, you could always report the text they post and find out. :wink: I mean, no harm no foul!

I’m a Christian but I would frown on posting “Bible quotes” in-game. In real life I believe I am saved because I believe in my heart and confess with my mouth that Jesus is Lord; there is no such Jesus in the “World of Warcraft.”

I find mentioning “Bible Verses” to be as jarring as if someone in-game mentions their 2022 vehicle, or their cell phone; I mean, though not on a roleplay server I at least roleplay enough to keep somewhat in character in-game.

Something from our world doesn’t belong in the “World of Warcraft.” If you want to mention a diety in Wow then make it be about Wow, “Praise Elune!”

2 Likes

When I posted this I think I was genuinely interested in a conversation, and since then I’m finding I have almost nothing to say.

In-game chat, I don’t care. There are numerous fictional religions, beliefs, etc. within the game. Even one with metaphorical parallels I have no issue with. (example being the Light/Holy) But it is when a real-world one becomes part of game content that issues could arise.

As for Bible verses, there are plenty of verses that do not mention anything Christian but are words of wisdom, kind-hearted, and good-natured.

3 Likes

Players should feel free to express their religious beliefs in-game however they like, so long as “however they like” doesn’t violate the rules and terms of service they agreed to. I’ve got no issues with someone sharing passages from a religious text, though a certain decorum is appreciated.

Do I want someone spamming verses in in-game chat, or messaging players privately with unsolicited religious evangelism? No. I wouldn’t appreciate a street preacher shouting in my face repeatedly or approaching me “cold” just to share their religion with me, but if I happen to walk past a group sharing verses with each other, that’s fine.

I appreciate freedom of speech and freedom of religion, and as long as I have an option to mute players I don’t want to hear, I don’t see a problem with people sharing their faith in-game.

2 Likes

If you hate God so much then just ignore the stuff. I think we need more Bible in WOW.

1 Like

You really went hunting for a 3 month old thread just to claim someone hates God? Now that’s some insecurity for you!