Does Frost Damage Count as Magical?

Trying DK DPS with PvP talents. The PvP talent “Necrotic Aura” says that all enemies within 8 yards take 8% increased magical damage. Does this increase the damage of Frost abilities? I’ve gotten conflicting results of what “Magic Damage” encompasses.

Yes it does

2 Likes

Thanks! That will make world bosses a lot easier to solo

There are only 3 types of damage. Physical, bleeds and magic.

1 Like

Forgot one. Chaos bolts cause emotional damage.

8 Likes

Of course. I mean, it is their pvp talent after all lol.

But yeah, obliterate is physical, but anything listed as frost will be enhanced 8%. Frost strike, howling blast/fristbfever, RM, etc. it’s basically a mandatory tent for pvp/wpvp. Helps teammates if you’re near them too of course.

It counts as magic, yes. SO if you take this talent, your frost abilities will hit for 3200 dmg instead of 2700. You’ll be the king of lulz pressure in every BG.

Yeah it does. Stacking mastery and then using 3x icey citadel for the str boost worked well for me when I was frost. Higher magic damage and bursty obliterates were fun. No one really expects much from frost but with that pvp talent that jumps back and forth between players you can see some big damage. Works well on hunters or others classes with pets in 1v1 and is great in team fights.

Magic damage is:
Frost
Fire
Shadow
Holy
Nature
Arcane

There are additional magic damage types that are just basically half one type and half another, for example:
Chaos = Fire + Shadow
Plague = Shadow + Arcane

I’m pretty sure most if not all abilities and trinkets and such specify what kind of damage they deal, and anything that says anything other than physical damage is a type of magic damage.

1 Like

not when you have 3 horde or alliance jumping on you.

Chaos is all schools of magic combined.

1 Like

I don’t think so. That would be chromatic, but I don’t think that damage type is available or in use anymore. Chaos is a combination of fire and shadow because fire and shadow are the only base magic types that warlocks use, chaos just mixing them.

But not like it matters anyways since magic resist is almost nonexistent these days. The only MR that does exist is so small it’s negligible. The only reason why whether an attack does magic damage or not is because certain abilities can only negate magic damage (AMS, cloak of shadows, spell reflect) and magic damage bypasses armor.

So really, damage is either magic or physical, and the specific type of magic damage matters not.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure rogue stuns count as butthurt damage

1 Like

Hes right Chaos is all magic schools.
Litterally made that way in Vanilla to bypass all school resists (while there is no holy resist).

check the spell ID if you want

School Fire, Nature, Frost, Shadow, Arcane
Effect #1 School Damage (Fire, Nature, Frost, Shadow, Arcane) (SP mod: 1.2)

Mixing shadow and fire creates shadowflame, the type of damage that “Cataclysm” and “Shadowburn” apply.