Does Blizzard actually make money with Classic Tokens?

Someone else not understanding secondary school economic basics is not an embarrassment for me, nor is my refusal to educate without proper compensation. My time is more valuable than that.

1 Like

Command ecomonies are literally a concept covered in a freshman level economics class. Look man, there’s no shame in not understanding economics. Lots of people don’t.

Do people still not understand that every token purchased with gold was bought by someone else for $20 which means they made $5. You could argue that they make up to $7 if they were on a sub package previously.

They will make money off this, pure and simple.

3 Likes

this. also the amount of gold/$ you get has went down, which means ppl are buying A LOT of tokens atm

2 Likes

I think you’re just trying to make yourself look like a fool. People don’t even bother replying to you because it’s sad to see how much the education failed and blatant hate you have towards Blizzard. I give it a last try.

In a command economy, the government is in charge of making most of the decisions about what gets produced, how much is produced, and how it is distributed.

Blizzard has no control on any of that

If you put your tinfoil hat (or hate towards Blizzard) off for a few seconds, let’s reflect about it for a few seconds:
WoW token is well documented system. It has been a crucial part of retail WoW and one of the reasons retail even exists nowadays. During these 10 years there were plenty of times were there was literally no token available. In your imaginary scenario where Blizzard is like the US government and controlling everything, this should have not happened, right? right.
So let’s make it clear:

• Blizzard does not spawn tokens.
  • Blizzard does not spawn gold for the purchase.
  • Blizzard does not force you to buy tokens.
  • Blizzard does not force you to sell your gold.

So in what world would that be a command economy. It isn’t. It is just a tinfoil hat theory of yours and its not even a good one.
You may not trust me. That’s fine. We are 2023 so I can give you a neutral answer generated by an AI:

Yes, the WoW Token in World of Warcraft operates based on the principles of supply and demand. The price of the WoW Token is determined by the interactions between buyers and sellers in the auction house.
If there is high demand for the WoW Token, meaning many players want to purchase it for various reasons such as extending their subscription time or exchanging it for in-game gold, the price of the token tends to rise. Conversely, if there is low demand or a surplus of WoW Tokens available for sale, the price may decrease.
The supply of WoW Tokens is influenced by players who purchase them from the in-game shop using real money and put them up for sale on the auction house. The number of tokens available for purchase affects the overall supply in the market.
Ultimately, the price of the WoW Token is determined by the balance between supply and demand, reflecting the willingness of players to buy and sell the token at different price levels.

To help your friend understand that the WoW Token operates based on supply and demand rather than being a forced command, you can emphasize the following points:

• Voluntary Exchange: The WoW Token system is a voluntary exchange mechanism where players can choose to buy or sell the token based on their own preferences. The decision to purchase or sell the token is entirely up to the players, and there is no compulsion or force from the game developers or any central authority.
  • Player-Determined Prices: The price of the WoW Token is not set or controlled by the game developers. Instead, it is determined by the players themselves. Buyers and sellers on the auction house set their own prices based on their own assessment of the token’s value and what they are willing to pay or accept. This reflects the principles of supply and demand, where players negotiate and agree upon prices through their interactions.
  • Fluctuating Market Prices: The price of the WoW Token is not fixed or static but fluctuates over time. It responds to changes in player demand and supply in the market. If many players want to buy the token, its price will increase due to high demand. Conversely, if there is a surplus of tokens available, the price may decrease. These price fluctuations are indicative of market dynamics driven by supply and demand forces.
  • No Government or Central Authority Control: In a command economy, economic decisions are made and enforced by a central authority, such as the government. However, in the case of the WoW Token, there is no central authority dictating the price or imposing control. The game developers provide the platform for players to buy and sell the token, but the actual price determination is decentralized and driven by player interactions.

Also to make this clear, I’m not pro or con Wow token here. I’m just really concerned about how bad the US education is.

Have a good one

4 Likes

Bearhands is correct, not sure why you’re so unwilling to listen.
You are indeed wrong on this one.

Four alts with a maxed profession is not a reasonable expectation for the average player. I understand you consider this minimal effort, but it really is not.

1 Like

They make 5 dollars on every one bought. The gold comes from the playerbase itself, so someone is gaining 7-8k on my server while someone else is losing 7-8k but gaining a sub. Sub is 15, token is 20, its basically a 5 dollar transaction fee.

3 Likes

Rofl. I actually feel bad for you. :sweat_smile::sweat_smile::sweat_smile:

I did a chatgpt too.

so is the token system closer to a supply and demand or command economy

ChatGPT

The WoW Token system in World of Warcraft is closer to a command economy due to the level of control exerted by Blizzard over various aspects of the marketplace. While supply and demand factors still play a role to some extent, Blizzard’s centralized control over token production, pricing, and regulation of the marketplace significantly influences the economy.

In a supply and demand economy, prices are primarily determined by the interaction of market forces, such as the balance between supply and demand. However, in the WoW Token system, Blizzard sets the fixed price at which tokens can be bought and sold, controls token production, and regulates the marketplace. These elements align more closely with the characteristics of a command economy, where a central authority has significant control over economic decisions.

It’s important to note that the WoW Token system is not a pure command economy, as it operates within the context of a game and has its own unique dynamics. However, considering the level of control exerted by Blizzard, it leans more towards a command economy rather than a free market system driven solely by supply and demand dynamics.

Okay literally waste of time. Enjoy life you’re being flagged now for trolling from my part. Just a waste of time.

2 Likes

Abusing the report system is a sure-fire way to get banned. Reported

Trolling too.
Have a good one tinfoil man!

Sure you can buy gold cheaper off some shady website and then get your account hacked.

1 Like

If they’re buying from unofficial sellers, they technically aren’t whales. They’re just filthy cheaters who need a swift permaban…

It seems to me people are mad about tokens because it means they have to pay more money. The people who bought gold are the same people saying to remove tokens because tokens cost more lmao then they play it up like “no it ruins classic no changes no changes” full of sh"*

1 Like

Would you perma ban over half your paying customers and lose potentially millions of dollars? Most people wouldn’t, since it’s your business lol it’s not about morals it’s about logic. Tokens get rid of that problem and they don’t have to ban their customers

1 Like

I get what you’re saying. I’m just addressing the fact that the term “whales” doesn’t apply to people who just pay a sub fee.

It’s usually reserved for the people who have multiple accounts/buy everything they can from the store.

In short, a “whale” is someone that buys everything blizzard is selling.

And honestly, if blizzard was strict on people buying/selling gold it wouldn’t happen nearly as often and there would be far less people taking the risk.

1 Like

It’s meant to curb black market sales

1 Like

Yes. Absolutely. The PR gain would far outweigh the loss and would bring in more players that want to play the game legitimately. You have to have a game people want to play though and Wrath Classic isnt that because its too far removed from what classic Wrath was. H+, only 6-7 people looking for heroic dungeons through LFG with 90% of them being DPS, making changes that dont actually do what they intended like with the Ulduar ilvl buff because phase 3 bis still comes from ToC and you drop Ulduar anyways outside of very specific circumstances or a few items that still carry over.

It would have probably been better if they touched nothing, didnt add H+ and just kept RDF out even though it absolutely should be in the game up to and including regular heroic dungeons. There is no reason for it.

But yes, ban half of the paying customers, make an example out of them.

You think the PR gain would outweigh all the lost subs? That was a joke right? In order for that to even remotely work, their would have to be thousands of people just waiting to create accounts and pay subscriptions once all the bots and RMT people are gone. We’re not talking about people playing Era/ Retail coming back to Wrath again. We’re talking brand new blood making new accounts. And how many of these botters have dozens of accounts, 1 DK per account right? Look, from a moralistic and in game gameplay perspective I would love it if they did what you say. But from a company financial standpoint? It would be catastrophic