Does Blizzard actually make money with Classic Tokens?

Yes tokens they “print” are pure profit. Additionally, the markup on gold to token (including gold to token to bnet balance) exchanges is around 25%. Even if you buy the gold on third party sites at 50% discount, Blizzard is still getting its cut through the markup. They also markup all forex currency pairs at around 20% for purchasing in non-USD. Through the currency markup foreign customers incur the currency risk in Blizzard’s place (except in times of extreme once in a decade levels of volatility, where it might see some minor losses).

In before Misanthra.

Of course they do. Its an item that just automatically appears in your bags right… and then you put it on the AH… and then someone spends there gold to buy it. A sub is like 15 a month right? Someone has to buy a coin for 20 right? Its the only thing you can buy with the things.

Yeah… they make money.

If it’s the case that they’ll only offer tokens for gold if one is actually on the AH then that makes sense. I’ve never actually seen the token AH empty on retail, but I guess across all servers there’s always at least one.

Look I don’t even know where to start. The issue is that you simply hate blizzard and mistrust them.

WoW Token is not new. It has been in a thing in WoW for 10 years.
It is very simple supply-demand service. They don’t regulate it. The retail Token went wild over the years, from less than 10k to 500k depending on DEMAND. Generally happens, when a new expansion is coming or a Blizzard game like Diablo 4.

Gold is not infinite — Token is not infinite. And it looks like currently people are buying a lot of tokens which decreases the gold price.

2 Likes

Well first the people who buy gold don’t really care that much about the best deal(they’re already paying real money for fake money in a video game). It’s primarily about the convenience and being able to get it straight from blizzard in game is the obvious winner there over shopping around for the best deal on a shady gold seller’s site.

And sure some people will quit over it, how many remains to be seen.

But for everyone else the tokens sales are pretty much pure profit. They’re always available for sale regardless of how many people are buying them, and for the people who are using them to pay for game time that just means blizzard is effectively getting a 20$ monthly sub from that person instead of 15$.

1 Like

The money is there. its picked up the slack for retails droppers since BFA to SL to DF drops lol.

3 tokens cover 1 rage quiter from this. There are 3 tokens at least per rage quiter I’d wager. Many in the player base wanted this for some easy gold. or…the token’d sub.

You must be new here rofl. You literally don’t know what you’re talking about on any level.

They ABSOLUTELY DO rofl. What part of that don’t you understand? Why do you think they only allow you to trade on the AH? Literally the only reason is so they can regulate it…

It literally is infinite. I don’t get what part of that you don’t understand. Until Blizzard decides to stop selling subs, there is an infinite supply of tokens from them.

Ok it looks like you’re a hopeless case. I will leave you with your tinfoil hat.

1 Like

Enjoy your shift. Make sure you tell all the other greeters about your day on the internets.

Further to this there are.generally more tokens purchased from Blizzard than purchase from the AH. This means there.is a surplus of “subscriptions” purchased - more than are.currently used or active at any time.

So, people aren’t just buying subs for now at an inflated rate, they’re buying more than are even needed.

It’s definitely profitable for Bliz. Especially considering players are loading up on months worth of game time.

Yea I was thinking about this actually. It’s like gift cards. A certain amount never get passed on, and the difference is pure profit.

1 Like

Also apparently blizzard paid people to say that wow token is not limitless.
There are currently no wow tokens for sale - Community / General Discussion - World of Warcraft Forums (blizzard.com)

Have a good one!

1 Like

The price is lower so if they got the money…its wiser to buy it then.

TOC will see a spike maybe. IF we get cata…that will spike hard, if classic follows trends like retail. so buyers get a “cheaper” sub now.

Yes they pay a theoretical $5 extra. If some are at or near gold cap…they aren’t caring much about that angle lol.

Sellers…meh if even at 8K now I am told, its still decent. Better than hours of loops on dailies and such lol. NGL…I liked getting my payout for artisan flight to be done that for the new 80. after work I go dual spec her and see how much all those advanced SV skills cost to 80 out.

2 Likes

Not scientific, but when I logged on after yesterday’s reset there were more people hitting the AH than I’ve seen in months…so yeah, anyone really quitting is getting their sub cost replaced many times over from what I’ve seen. Also, most of the boomers want gold, not free sub time bc they aren’t broke. That’s why the token has gone from $12k to $7.7k in a day.

Edit: Also they have years of experience with receipts from the Retail token, you are kidding yourself if you think they aren’t printing cash.

No idea what you’re talking about but… enjoy your shift?

If you really don’t believe Blizzard keeps token sales on the AH so they can control the price then I honestly don’t even know what to tell you. That’s beyond obvious.

Yes piles of cash. Think about it from this perspective.

So even though some of us will never pay a sub again, that’s not a problem because the people buying that gold instead of a subscription costing 15 bucks (rounding here) it now is paid for 20 bucks by the buyers of the gold… Blizzard does not print gold outa thin air and im sure you’re aware, but what they do is just middle man it like like the mafia.

Essentially it does zero to remove the gold farmers / bots, and instead just gives Blizzard a cut of the action.

The reason people dont see as much botting on Retail is because the servers are sharded and so the botters are typically in their own groups in their own shards / private instances zugging their scripts and such till they turn up at the AH and transact in the token market.

They use the tokens to buy battlenet balance also to further expand their botting operations, and the remainder of the gold is then sold old school on their 3rd party site for less than the going rate. Big guilds (on retail) utilize gold services (3rd party kind) because its way less and they’re pushing for world firsts.

In Classic I think this will be a little different, but the overall scheme will be the same with the gold farmers making big profits.

If Blizzard was VERY SMART, they are not, they would only put 50% of the gold back on the market as a way to wash some of the gold out of the economy.

Yeah except the part most people don’t risk their account to buy black market gold. Most people will drop 20 dollars. Like I get it you don’t like the token. But you are trying to twist and over complicate things. Trying to apply real world logic to a virtual world with way less consequences to spend money and actions lol. Things are not the same. Token works like thai you buy one for 20 dollars. List it. Someone uses their gold buys it and gets a month game time. So it is supply and demand. And yes blizz does have control to protect players from people hoarsing tje tokens and overcharging for them. It’s not some crazy elaborate ponzi scheme. Take off the tin foil hat, put down the Kool aid. Relax. Yes token sucks. No it’s not the emd of tje world.

1 Like

They’re actually pretty analogous and there have been several economic studies done using virtual currencies.

That’s… not supply and demand…

A space exists between “blizzard is only trying to protect everyone” and “Blizzard is engaged in an elaborate ponzi scheme.” The world is not black or white. You should go visit it more often.

The number of people who cheated and bought gold from third parties ruined the economy. That gold was laundered and spread to other players through GDKPs. It has completely and irreversibly damaged the marketplace for honest players. At this point, all the token does is even the playing field for those who are willing to pay.

If you have enough gold playing Wrath to never pay a sub fee again, then all that gold in your bags is dirty money. I am not saying you bought it, but someone did. The game itself does not generate that kind of wealth.

Why should other honest players who did not purchase gold or take advantage of that laundered gold through GDKPs be denied the opportunity to catch up?

5 Likes