Does Arthas deserve a "happy" ending?

Uther took his chance away. We don’t know where he would’ve ended up.

Arthas deserved a long time in Revendreth. What happened next depended on his time there.

But he’ll never get it because Arthas’ soul was destroyed in Shadowlands and the last bit of him vanished on the breeze while the writers kissed Sylvanas’ feet. :angry:

1 Like

Why do you keep reviving these long dead threads?

6 Likes

A reminder to not feed the trolls.

1 Like

Why is he so deserving of redemption? It’s not like he nearly extinguished an entire elven population, oh wait… he DID. And there is that little matter of patricide and the near extinction of the population of his own kingdom. And if he is so deserving of a better fate, why not Sylvanas?

There’s a whole legion of people that want this woman punished while her tormentor gets a pass or gets put in charge of her punishment. I have a real problem with that. And let not underestimate just how much of a tormenter he was… He deliberately kept her conscious while suppressing her free will. He even kept her body around just on the off chance he might think of some new cruelty to use it for. He’s up there with the worst of control freak serial killers.

Arthas’ soul being detroyed is entirely upon Uther and Devos, who abrogated her responsibilities towards HER pupil. Although given how Revendreth was being run at the time, he might not have fared any better than Garoosh.

As a reminder, for good or ill, very few people get what they “deserve” in this millieu. Ask the Redpaths sometime.

5 Likes

Sylvanas certainly didn’t.

Because he was mean to Sylvanas!

(lets ignore that Sylvanas wouldn’t be Sylvanas without his torturing and breaking her)

But no, I agree with you, its sad but not surprising that people are gushing over the clear villain who ultimately chose his damnation rather than the lesser villain who was corrupted unwillingly

3 Likes

While Sylvannas made her choices, and does need to be held accountable for them, her misdeeds should be added to Arthas’ tally as well.

2 Likes

Oh I am definitely not saying Sylvanas was innocent or should get off scot free, just pointing out some context in which he willingly became a monster vs how she did.

Her punishment is perfectly fine, if a bit harsh on the jailer’s victims to only have one person rescuing them from the maw.

When one of the qualifications is that you deserve a near eternity in the Maw, you run short of candidates.

2 Likes

The best ending we can give him is to let his story go and stop trying to relitigate what is gone and over.

6 Likes

Bastion is for those who lived their life in service to their people and are ready to serve again. Arthas lived to serve his own ego. And committed a crapton of genocide. Revendreth is where souls go to get purged.

3 Likes

He totally doesn’t. He did everything wrong from the moment he torched Stratholme. It is shocking that this is even a debate when you count in him killing his own family and menthor for the sake of power. Arthas was bad full on and him dusting into Anima fart is well deserved ending to him being the most horrible villain that was ever on Azeroth.

2 Likes

I apply the same standard to Arthas and Sylvanas. But Sylvanas gets a second chance while Arthas disappears in a puff of smoke. That is my complaint. I agree that wanting to condemn Sylvanas while giving Arthas a pass is stupid.

Perhaps he might not have faired any better than Garrosh, true. Though with Revendreth restored to its original function under Rena’thal, there was a chance if Arthas had made it there.

Sylvanas had a chance to turn things around after Arthas’ hold on her broke in Warcraft 3, but didn’t. As a DK main, I can safely say the Ebon Blade didn’t run around doing war crimes after escaping Arthas (except maybe how they got the new Four Horsemen).

I’d say only the ones she did under his control. I wouldn’t blame Arthas for the Burning of Teldrassil, tyvm.

1 Like

Sylvanas was literally punished. She won’t be in the story for a long time.

Sylvanas had turbo depression to the point where the first thing she did after Arthas finally died was chuck herself off a wall onto a spike, clearly she was just hunky dory the second his grip on the EK scourge lapsed.

4 Likes

Doesn’t matter, she still had agency.

1 Like

I’m not saying Sylvanas was perfectly innocent, just that Arthas had a grip on her beyond the literal, magical binding. Anduin is currently shown to be a completely broken man for going through something similar, and thats without magical feelbad necromantic energy continuing to effect him post-posession.

I’m perfectly fine with her punishment and would rather she not return to the setting, I just think she’s nowhere near Arthas

1 Like

I think she should return. Just so Metzen and co can try to undo some of the damage to her character

Maybe as the new neutral hero for us to follow. If not, than yeah, she should be left alone for now

And I’m saying that’s cope, because she had agency at that point.
Her actions weren’t Arthas’, they were hers.