Does Arthas deserve a "happy" ending?

That’s not true, we have the evidence and testimony from WOTLK that Arthas’ humanity is the only thing preventing the Scourge from overrunning Azeroth, but who’s to say that didn’t use up all the power Arthas had and therefore could do NOTHING to counter the Jailor’s other misdeeds?

And we now have the statement in Shadowlands that Arthas has resisted Zovaal.

The thing is, we have subsequent testimony from Chronicle that the reason Arthas’ humanity was doing so was because Arthas was the part of the Lich King who had the convoluted plan about raising us as champions of the Scourge first.

So it was never about Arthas not intending to Scourge everyone. He was still going to fully unleash the Scourge on Azeroth; Arthas just didn’t want to do it yet. Whereas if the Helm (i.e. Zovaal) had its way, he’d have probably just done so as soon as he’d internally consolidated himself as the new Lich King. Arthas wasn’t trying to spare us from within the Lich King; he just had a particular way in which he wanted to kill us.

While people have this tendency to associate one’s “humanity” as the good parts of them, that’s not strictly what it means. One’s humanity also includes all the faults that come with being human, and if you’ll recall, Arthas deliberately and explicitly removed what we would consider the “good parts” of himself upon becoming Lich King, seeing them as weaknesses. Which means the remaining humanity in Lich King Arthas would amount to stuff like his hubris, his cruelty and his stubborn refusal to ever accept that he was wrong. He retained all the nasty things that got him to the point of becoming Lich King, while casting off anything that had ever made him falter or doubt his actions along the way.

So in that regard Arthas’ soul was also split; not when he took up Frostmourne, but atop Icecrown Citadel. And it’s perhaps worth noting that he only really had one sharp, pointy implement on hand at that time with which to carve out his own heart, and the “good parts” of his soul along with it…

3 Likes

And the point is, Arthas did not know that his soul would get stolen. The warning only said it would scar the spirit, not consume it. He found out afterwards when tichondrius told him.

Why do you people keep ignoring that fact?

It seems some of you have a hard time separating the meta knowledge of the story from what the characters themselves know at the time.

The first action he did after grabbing Frostmourne was to find and kill Mal’ganis. Did you not play WC3?

Why do you have to lower yourself and intentionally lie?

3 Likes

… You don’t know what a conscience is, do you?

But they weren’t seperated by “magic”. They were seperated by dying.

But, again, as you pointed out.

New lore trumps old lore.

Shadowlands is new. WotLK is old.

It seems awfully convenient that suddenly, you want old lore to matter more than new after making the opposite argument.

3 Likes

A conscience is just as abstract concept. Depend on you own belief it is simply a part of you. A part of your soul/essence/whatever.

Death is literally a type of magic in Warcraft.

So then why do you find it pedantic to say that a part of Arthas that he cast out might be his conscience? Yet you clearly believe it is not pedantic to say a part of Arthas that he cast out might just be his “good”?

It seems you might actually be the pedantic one here.

But dying is still not magic. No more than a campfire is Fire magic.

They weren’t “seperated” by Death magic; they were “seperated” by being hit a lot.

You’re definitely sounding pedantic.

1 Like

yeah…if we got new information that is contra to the old information but…in this case…the new information we got is more an addition to the old lore, not an retcon :wink: so no point for you.

It literally is.

Arthas was resisting Zovaal. You’re trying to argue that isn’t the case based on old lore, but the new lore says he absolutely did.

You can try and wiggle your way around it, but the fact remains.

3 Likes

Because that is not the point of what I have been saying all along(which you keep missing) what I find pendantic is the use of the term concience to make seem like it was not resistance on Arthas part. His concience/or “goodness” is a part of him, it is as much Arthas as anything else.

This is simply not true. “Magic” as far as WoW is concerned is simply the basic building blocks of the universe. A shaman could control said campfire if they get the elements residing in said fire to cooperate.

“Everything that is, is alive.” Is the shaman epiphany.

Death and life itself, as a process is a type of magic.

Except I’m the one saying he had been resisting.

You seem very confused about what it is you’re disagreeing with, Zerde.

It simply is.

Zovaal was trying to use the scourge to kill all life on azeroth…arthas resisted him and didn´t do this…so…where is the lore contradictory?

It isn’t.

Because Arthas resisted Zovaal.

Like I pointed out to you.

but you don´t know how much power it takes from arthas little remaining humanity…to do this, so…if he could stop A means not that he could stop b, c, d, and e in the same time.

1 Like

I don’t need to. Because I know what the lore states.

Arthas resisted Zovaal. Not partially resisted, not kinda resisted.

Arthas resisted Zovaal.

2 Likes

If Arthas prevented Zovaal from unleashing the Scourge…that is precisely RESISTING HIM!

That’s all he did, he prevented the Scourge from overrunning Azeroth, that was his “rebellion” against Zovaal’s influence.

What about Nerzhul where is he in all this?

I am disagree with you in that Arthas was resisting BOTH Zovaal and the Lich King. That Arthas’(at least the non corrupted part of him) was still trying to actually right the wrongs done by whatever amalgamation of his and Ner’zhul soul that was controlling the Scourge.

In the novel he subdued Ner’zhul presence to the point where only Arthas remained. There was no algmanation there was only Arthas.

2 Likes

According to you.

Zovaal says otherwise. The lore says otherwise.

And there is no seperate Lich King entity. It’s the Helm of Domination, which was what Zovaal was using to try and control the person wearing it.

And Arthas resisted. He had free will.

2 Likes

Where says the lore otherwise…pls post the source :wink: